Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Choosing an HK small pistol

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Choosing an HK small pistol

Quote Originally Posted by acp1 View Post
    I am looking to get a small 9mm pistol and prefer an HK model. I have reviewed the VP9SK, P30SK, P2000SK and USP Compact. How in the world does one choose from all of these? One is striker fired, one is a little larger than the others but overall they are very similar. No gun store near me has all of these available to look at much less shoot. I would appreciate any input from the forum. I am not new to HK, I have a couple of long guns and an HK45. Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
    I have the P30sk in both da/sa and LEM, love them both. I just prefer hammer fired pistols for carry. Currently I’m carrying the CZ 75 D PCR or a Jericho 941.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    -
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

JCC
    Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

VP9 SK, P30 SK or P2000 SK. My opinion.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    HK P9S 9mm
    HK USP9C
    HK P30 SK V3 TRU DOT
    HK VP9 SK TRU DOT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I carry the P30SKS (9mm). One reason is size. I can carry it (snuggly) in the front pocket of my Levis in a Desantis pocket holster. It's a little heavy so I tighten up my belt a notch, but no big deal. I also run on trails and I carry it in a PistolWear holster for 3 miles each time; the extra weight just adds to the workout.

Like some others in the forum, I am also a hammer guy. I started with revolvers, so the long first pull on the DA is not a problem for me as it appears to be for some shooters.

Then I migrated to 1911's and became accustomed to locked and cocked carry. I like the carry options of the P30SKS:

1) Locked and cocked like a 1911.
    2) Hammer down like a revolver.

Even if the hammer is down, you can still manually cock the hammer if you anticipate a possible problem and you want to be SA ready.

The dangling pinky does not bother me either and I prefer the smaller footprint of the flush mount magazine; but the optional finger rest for the pinky is still there.

I can't find a down side to the P30SKS except it would be nice if it were 1/2 inch off the length and 1/2 inch off the height.

I hope this may give you a bit more insight into this option.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

All good opinions in here; I'll add one to your lineup, though, and you list one that is close to it as well.

Between all of my options, the one I find is the best compromise given all the variables (concealable small size, large enough to hold, enough capacity, trigger system) is the non compact P2000 in v1 LEM.

13+1 rounds, can take 15 or 20 round magazines (which I routinely carry as spares), and the LEM trigger for carry is the best package for me. I have other options in my safe, all with similar features (LEM, 9mm or 45ACP, same magazines) but percentage-wise, the P2000 rides with me more than the others. I prefer the P2000 over the USP functionally, and the P2000 (P2000SK & 45C) grips are not uncomfortable if the gun is held close to the body for long periods of time. I don't argue that the P30, VP or HK45 series are comfortable grips - that they are - but for daily carry, the P2000 gets my vote!
    HK VP9, P2000SK 9mm, P2000 9mm, 45c, USP 45 SS (sold), P30L, Mark 23 & PCS 9
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links