Vp9 slide repair
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ecsuser

Thread: Vp9 slide repair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Vp9 slide repair

Hey guys. New to the forum.
    Last year I purchased a vp9 that I absolutely love. I recently decided I wanted to get into the RMR game so I ordered one and opted to mount it myself seeing as I have a mill and a general knowledge of machining. Everything was going well until I broke a tap off in the slide. After a lot of explicit words, kicking, and throwing things within arms reach I managed to get the tap drilled out. So now I’m left with a hole that is entirely too big and not where it is supposed to be, no big deal I fire the syncrowave up and proceed to weld my holes shut. During a moment of reflection while I let things cool off a little bit I begin to wonder if welding on my slide was a good idea or not. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

A picture is worth 1,000 words to sum up the next few replies

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

There is soon to be a potential for upwards of 200 previously owned VP9 slides available this week. Post a WTB ad in the appropriate section. Keep trying - you'll get it right i'm sure.

Welcome to the forum.
    Lamont likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lol yes if I would have been a few days earlier I would have a long slide on the way. I also planned of welding my rear dovetail shut and cutting a new dovetail in front of my RMR. Here are a couple pictures that I took. You can also see the remnants of a filler piece I had tacked into my rear dovetail. I ended up drilling both of my holes out bigger to weld shut and redrill because I wasn’t satisfied with the threads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vp9 slide repair-d3ab06d6-7df6-40e5-9e7b-4858e6cc4435_1550442236767.jpeg  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone have any input? Bad idea, good idea, absolutely not you’re stupid the thing will blow up in your hand!! All input is appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

weld it and just keep wet rags around the area to keep the temp down. Let it air cool. That should not change the heat treatment on the slide. Jumped out the jig?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greglewis View Post
    Lol yes if I would have been a few days earlier I would have a long slide on the way. I also planned of welding my rear dovetail shut and cutting a new dovetail in front of my RMR. Here are a couple pictures that I took. You can also see the remnants of a filler piece I had tacked into my rear dovetail. I ended up drilling both of my holes out bigger to weld shut and redrill because I wasn’t satisfied with the threads.
    Putting one of these on a longslide would be a mistake that would betray a lack of understanding as what the advantage of a longslide really is. The only reason for a longslide to exist is increased sight radius. Nothing else about it makes it more accurate than a shorter barrel. When you use a dot sight you have made that irrelevant and you might as well just put it on the standard length gun.
    "We do bad things to bad people".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greglewis View Post
    Anyone have any input? Bad idea, good idea, absolutely not you’re stupid the thing will blow up in your hand!! All input is appreciated.
    Well... it might be challenging to drill and tap through the new weld.

Another option might have been to bush the bogus hole: Bore the hole even bigger, tap it for whatever thread is convenient, and then make a threaded plug to fit the hole. You can peen the slide around the plug to lock it in place, or I prefer a retaining grade Loctite. Then start over, drilling and tapping more carefully.

Actually, if you can't tap your weld, you can still drill it out with a carbide drill and then install a bushing. It will have to be straight sided. I think a retaining grade Loctite will work, or maybe you can do a shrink fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for you input.

Lamont I totally agree with you. I was simply stating that I would love to have a long slide with target sights.

I have already welded on the slide. My concern was possibly creating hard spots or stress fractures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry to hear about the issue with the slide but you now have a true project gun. You can have it inspected by a gunsmith if you have concerns regarding safety.

Sponsored Links