How do you fight theP7istooexpensiveandwillneverbeproducedagain depression? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: How do you fight theP7istooexpensiveandwillneverbeproducedagain depression?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Fortunately for me, I bought quite a few....back when I thought they were too much. I had the "gotta have everything" HK bug. I also realized I don't care for the P7's, so I sold all but 1. As has been said....buy once, cry once. Just choose wisely.
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it.
    You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good.
    Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy.
    Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

"If you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat" Ronald Reagan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmissile View Post
    Fortunately for me, I bought quite a few....back when I thought they were too much. I had the "gotta have everything" HK bug. I also realized I don't care for the P7's, so I sold all but 1. As has been said....buy once, cry once. Just choose wisely.
    I've been down that road. Bought a P7, didn't carry it much, until I got another. Then I carried one for 4 or 5 years, picking up three more along the way (for a total of five). Then I bought a P2000sk, then a P2000. And I sold all but one of my P7s (the wife, thinking that one is hers, keeps me from selling that last one). They are fantastic carry pistols, but so is the P2K.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdfarming View Post
    out of curiosity would there be any legal barriers to a company producing a p7 clone somewhat like how the 1911 design is used by many manufacturers?
    The P7 is a very involved mechanism. To replicate it properly, the clone would cost more than the market could bear. It would never sell.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well I guess I could work more and get more money to buy another one, but by the time I save that much, they'll be more expensive which means I'll have to work even more which will mean I'll be a slave to the P7 which is just what everyone said would happen.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I love to have one but the price is too high and with HK not making parts for it would cost a lot to fix I miss out on the P7 back when you could get one at a good price.

FS1
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Change Happens. I have never owned a p7, but if they remade it I would likely buy one. But how many people do you think would? Enough to sustain profitability? We will likely never know. Like I said change happens. It's just a fact of life.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal that made good under pressure!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Himhawkeye View Post
    The P7 is a very involved mechanism. To replicate it properly, the clone would cost more than the market could bear. It would never sell.
    probably it wont ever be feasible for a business to do that. I think the biggest barrier is the lack of mainstream recognition. Ive found that in 1983 a PSP's MSRP was 1500 in todays money.
    Last edited by Ferdfarming; 02-20-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FS1 View Post
    But how many people do you think would? Enough to sustain profitability?
    The simple answer is no. When the P7 was in production it was overpriced for the market and few bought them. Hence why it was discontinued to begin with. If they were selling like the VP9's, they'd still be in production today.

It's expensive and time consuming to produce and requires very tight tolerances. High production costs lead to low margins in order to make it to marketable.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ITD1944 View Post
    The simple answer is no. When the P7 was in production it was overpriced for the market and few bought them. Hence why it was discontinued to begin with. If they were selling like the VP9's, they'd still be in production today.

It's expensive and time consuming to produce and requires very tight tolerances. High production costs lead to low margins in order to make it to marketable.
    This^. I worked in a shop during the auto loading pistol boom (late 80’s, early 90’s). Most auto pistols (as opposed to wheel guns) were rather pricy. Every gun manufacturer jumped on the auto loading bandwagon. Most of the US firms were desperately trying to play catch-up with the European makers (trying and failing). In round numbers, when a S&W .357 revolver might cost $375, a SIG 226 might cost $625, a P7 was $950. Love the P7, bought one then, but it was an infrequent seller. It is worse now. Most every manufacturer now has gone to considerable cost savings using polymer and other materials/processes. Only way a new P7 could ever work would be a radical redesign, and that probably would not be worth the design work for dubious sales potential.
    FredBart likes this.

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

I'm glad I bought some P7s before the market went full retard. I'd like to pick up one more LNIB M13 but that's real unlikely to happen now. I don't buy them for investment potential and at current prices -- as much as I love the pistol -- that's the only reason to buy one that really makes sense. Unless of course you can pick up a PD trade in or the like. Occasionally a few of those will hit the market (and evaporate in minutes). Last year around this time I was able to pick up a PD trade in M13 and I can't recall the price but it was under $2G and in really nice shape. WISH I'd bought two.

Still, hold out hope. You still occasionally hear of somebody scoring a sweet deal on one at a reasonable price from an estate sale or dumb luck at a LGS.
    Lamont and Hkp30sk like this.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links