Best all around P30 or P30sk LEM - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Best all around P30 or P30sk LEM

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse View Post
    A smaller gun can be made bigger (extra capacity mags), but the bigger gun cannot be made smaller. Smaller guns are generally easier to conceal, while bigger guns are usually easier to hit with. As with all generalizations, a lot of them are sometimes wrong.
    Pretty much spot on. I have both and tend to carry my SK more due to the slightly smaller grip length (sans extended mags). Oddly, I find my SK to be every bit as accurate out 10 to yards as my full size P30. They really are great guns. If I was starting over and I HAD to choose only one, I'd likely buy the SK before the full size but I'm sure somewhere down the road I'd leverage an organ to acquire a P30 or P30L. It would give me a high round count range gun and my EDC that, once vetted, would rarely get fired.
    Last edited by FPNunes; 03-01-2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: missing punctuation...ugh!
    Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Afmedic View Post
    I am shooting at 7 yds and only 6 or 7 on paper. Much prefer three finger grip so if I use the P30sk I would need extender for all mags! Suggestions?
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/cross-cr...-p30sk-v3.html just posted.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Requiring a CCW, I started with the SK. Then 2018 when prices dropped on the P30... duh for $535 BNIB I picked up another P30. All my HK’s are DA/SA (and yes, with stock triggers).
    My primary SD is 124 +P HST. For bulk SD practice, Fiocchi 124 JHP and end wisth a mag/2 of the HST. For quick access, cheap Walmart ball Win 124 NATO or Fed 115 Champ (which I actually like). Occasionally, I take a box/2 MEN/Ruag/S&B/Fed-AE from my bulk stock.

Momma HK knows best.
    The P30 is single RSA for faster recovery, the SK has the dual to ‘slow’ it down. The dual is why the SK recoils like its big bro, slap on the 13/15 and the SK is practically more versatile than the P30. That may tell you the SK is the preferred first buy (between CCW/range), the P30 is more ‘how many guns do you need’ – um, as someone in my home said to me.
    As for P30 CCW, I carry more my P2000/USP9c as my full-size.
    DarkeWolf and WolfieRules like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All valuable information. I am leaning towards the P30SK LEM. But I have never shot a double action only. Any opinions on that would be appreciated!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thanks Guzz! Good info! :thumbsup:
    Yeah, I'm more preferenced to 124gr myself. It's less snappy than 115gr.

Medic- best advice that I can give as far as how a DAO feels, pulling the trigger, is head down to a gun store that lets you play. There's tons of DAO revolvers on the market. You might also be able to find a Walther Creed, which is a DAO hammer semi-auto (Even tho it's the "Hi-Point" of the Walthers as far as size goes). A couple of other pistols that pops right off the tip of my tongue that you might commonly find is a KAHR DAO, or SCCY. Tho those are both strikers, so you won't get the feel or visual of the hammer moving (clearly why, striker.). Kahr has a really nice trigger system, SCCY....meh..... [Edit] Tho I can't recall if either of those have double strike capability, so after consideration those might not be good choices, since you'd have to rack the slide each time, if they don't double strike.[/edit]
    On that note, if you're playing with revolvers, and they have one at the LGS, don't pass up the chance to play with a Taurus 357 Tracker. I played with one at a Cabela's, and the guy had to fight me to get me to put it down (no, not literally.) While I would be dubious of buying a Taurus, because of a bad rep with customer support right now, that thing had an AMAZINGLY sweet, smooth DA pull.
    Last edited by DarkeWolf; 03-01-2019 at 05:43 PM.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's a long consistent but light pull to wall/break followed by a long heavy DA pull if the slide wasn't cycled. It's a long consistent but light pull to wall/break followed by an intermediate reset and the same pull/break weight if the slide cycled. I'd liken a LEM trigger much more to a Walther P99AS, you have the long pull that acts more as the safety than the weight then more of a single action style afterwards.

I hate DAO, but love me some LEM.

If you're curious about carry size, if you have a VP9, it's physically the same height as the P30, so try it unloaded around the house, it would carry physically just like the P30. I thought it'd carry huge, but it's comfortable and none of my coworkers have noticed. I carry at the 3:00 position with a crossbreed supertuck (the holster was free).

Good luck! if you can get your digits on a few to play with I'd give it a wack.

Oh, the P30 grip texture is better than the SK/VP grip texture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I started with a V3 with safety and decocker. I was very happy with it but in practice it was hard to smoothly turn off the safety on the draw. I started to carry it double action first shot with the safety off instead of cocked and locked (safety on). This was fine, but at that point I decided to start looking for an LEM to replace it. A couple months later and I found a nice deal on a P30sk V1 with the Light LEM trigger, Meprolight night sights and 3 mags for $500. Now it alternates with my Sig P365 depending on the level of concealment I want on a given day. Defintely prefer the LEM trigger to the DA/SA for conceal carry. Now I have to try out the 4.1 LEM upgrade kit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I own both the P30 & the SK, both in LEM. While I totally agree with the statement that you can make the smaller gun larger and the larger gun cannot be made smaller, if I could only have one it would be the P30. A few reasons: 1. I usually carry the SK with the 13 rd factory mag and its within a 1/4" of the P30 at that point. 2. Im 6'5" 230 so I can mostly get away with concealing a regular sized gun. 3. I like the grip texture more on the P30. Its subtly different, but i find it better. 4. They P30 feels better balanced to me and that leads to better, softer shooting for me. The P30 is the Mercedes S class of guns imho. Just so smooth and comfortable.

Youll end up with them both eventually. So dont fret too long over it.Theyre both great pistols and theyll never leave my stable.
    Robb_D and DarkeWolf like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Agreed with smaller gun can be made bigger. Go smaller, especially if you have a P229 already since that fills the standard length P30's niche. I used to carry a P229 too and grew to love it. But both (all?) guns will take some practice to get all on paper. Definitely not trying to patronize here, remember to just let the gun do its thing and only worry about focusing on the front sight and moving only your trigger finger, slowly and smoothly. In my own shooting, the P30sk and the P229 reward practice. Soon you'll be tearing apart the center. Where are you hitting mainly?

PS Get snap caps to help isolate any flinch you might have.
    gunrascal and DarkeWolf like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Afmedic View Post
    All valuable information. I am leaning towards the P30SK LEM. But I have never shot a double action only. Any opinions on that would be appreciated!
    It's just a trigger. Dry fire and shoot. Work pairs and triples. There is enough of a "wall" on a v1 that you're through to the wall during press out without even noticing. Shoots almost like an SA, but with a longer reset. There are mods that are "nice"; one of my P2000s has a Lazy Wolf Guns Action Package and the reset is really sweet, but I shoot it's unmodified twin just fine. Picked up a P30SK V1 yesterday and the trigger should be very easy to manage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links