P30 10rd vs 15rd magazine interchangeable?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TooSixy

Thread: P30 10rd vs 15rd magazine interchangeable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default P30 10rd vs 15rd magazine interchangeable?

Im sure this has been discussed before, but if I buy the variant that comes with 15rd magazines but need 10rd mags due to law restrictions, are the 10 and 15rd magazine interchangeable? I would think the 10 rd is single stack and 15 rd double stack, so does that mean you can not switch between the 2 in the same firearm? or am I wrong on that? Sorry about the confusion, itll be my first pistol!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Location : Sometimes where the gun laws suck, sometimes where they don't.
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Same exterior size, yes they are interchangeable.
    They differ in design, different body and floor plate.
    You can modify a 15 into a 10 but you can’t turn a 10 into a 15.
    Both are double stack
    Last edited by chuckster62; 02-28-2019 at 01:10 AM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Heyas UnaJeepa!
    The floorplates for the 10 rounds mags are much different than the floorplates for the 15 rounders. If we're talking about mags for fullsized guns, not compacts or subcompacts. The floorplate on at 10 reaches a lot further up inside the magazine body, to make it so that fewer rounds can be loaded.

[edit] ok it's not the actual floor plate. But I dunno what it's called, and can't think of what else to call it LOL [/edit]

Now here's the thing. If you live in a capacity restricted state, and you are buying the gun online, rather than local.... if you buy a gun that has a mag that has a higher capacity from what your state allows, the seller would not be able to legally ship that gun into your state. Some even go so far as to refuse sales to certain states (CA being a prime example). So if you ever buy a gun online, while living in a state like that, you need to check your local laws, to see if the sale is simply based on the magazine capacity, or if they require a specific SKU numbered model. SKU numbered models simply means that they are assigned special inventory numbers to be compliant to certain states. Most items will have a SKU number, but some states require those specific ones.

As far as interchangeability, I'll back up Chuckster on what he said about it, that yes they are interchangeable, as long as they're both compatible for that particular gun. I say that, because you can't put a 10 round p30sk mag into a fullsized p30. The mag is too short. But any regular sized p30 magazine will work in a p30sk. Some of the length just sticks out the end of the hand grip.

[edit] deleted what I'd said about the permanent attachment. My brain was in the mode of thinking of either mags made specifically for guns with a 10 round limit, like my old Taurus 911, or the ban mags from the 90's. Pardon the old fart with ADD. Thanks Too![/edit]
    Last edited by DarkeWolf; 02-28-2019 at 05:24 AM. Reason: corrected errors I made in my original post
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkeWolf View Post
    f we're talking about mags for fullsized guns, not compacts or subcompacts. The floorplate on at 10 reaches a lot further up inside the magazine body, to make it so that fewer rounds can be loaded. And in all of them that I've seen, they were permanently attached to the mag body.
    That's 100% false.

The floor plates on the 10-rd mags (yes, we're talking about the mags for the full-sized P30/VP9 here) are not permanently attached to the mag body. The floor plates have clips on the sides that clip onto the notches on the sides of the 10-rd mag housing and that is how the floor plates are attached to the mag housing. They are no way in hell permanently attached.

See areas highlighted in RED.

Crashmc likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Default Mags

Here are both mags, so you can see the differences:P30 10rd vs 15rd magazine interchangeable?-fullsizerender-2-.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks much for the answers, def makes it easier for me.
    yes, Im planning on buying online. Its confusing here in Illinois. There is no state magazine restriction, but there MIGHT be a county restriction and city restriction, which of course are different from each other. Ive looked online for a definitive answer, finding mostly snarky answers. the local gun shops won't commit in fear of giving incorrect answers. The state police do not have anything on their site (but again, there is not a state restriction so no surprise there). Ive reached out to local police to see what they have to say. I hate Illinois.
    Either way, if a 10rd magazine will fit, that's good enough for me, even if the gun ships with 15rds. Ill just swap if needed.
    Thanks and have a good night everyone.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnaJeepa View Post
    thanks much for the answers, def makes it easier for me.
    yes, Im planning on buying online. Its confusing here in Illinois. There is no state magazine restriction, but there MIGHT be a county restriction and city restriction, which of course are different from each other. Ive looked online for a definitive answer, finding mostly snarky answers. the local gun shops won't commit in fear of giving incorrect answers. The state police do not have anything on their site (but again, there is not a state restriction so no surprise there). Ive reached out to local police to see what they have to say. I hate Illinois.
    Either way, if a 10rd magazine will fit, that's good enough for me, even if the gun ships with 15rds. Ill just swap if needed.
    Thanks and have a good night everyone.
    Some states will let you permanently block your 15 rounds to 10 rounds. But it is much easier to just trade them or sell them. There are some vendors that will swap them out before they ship the gun, at usually no charge.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Heh. Ok, my brain went askew. As I'd posted, as far as what I'd seen. My mind's eye was showing me mags like this.P30 10rd vs 15rd magazine interchangeable?-10-round-mag.jpg
    Which are permanently attached magazine capacity ban mags. From guns like my 92FS and several of my Taurus 9's, all the latter of which were purchased back during the 90's magazine ban. Sorry for the mixup there, UnaJeepa!

Original post fixed to prevent further argument about the error.

Good eye there, Too.

Sponsored Links