Usp 9mm flange groove in slide?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By danneh

Thread: Usp 9mm flange groove in slide?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Usp 9mm flange groove in slide?

So have been experiencing stovepipes in my usp 9mm tactical 2016 year model. It has probably seen closer to 15 000 rnds as I compete a lot. I just now realized that there is a groove on the side opposing the extractor for the rim of the case to sit in and this seems strange to me. Seems like this could be the cause of the erratic ejection and stovepiping I've been seeing.

Anyhow is this normal on the usp 9mm or is it some kind of strange wear?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

/Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Usp 9mm flange groove in slide?-20190309_124400_1552132674239.jpg  

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Welcome to the forum. I am going to say that looks normal but hopefully someone with a little more expertise will be along shortly. Do you compete in IDPA or USPSA?

bp1
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

@danneh
    Dan,
    I have noticed a shallow groove just forward of the breech face, as well.
    I am guessing that it has to do with feeding, helping the way that the case feeds or sits in the chamber.
    I first noticed the groove while cleaning one of my pistols.

ETA: I do not believe that it would be the cause of the stovepipe jams.
    Check the usual suspects; extractor, ejector, chamber fouling, RSA, is it with the same mag every time, etc.

ETA2: My USPC 45 has this shallow groove opposite the extractor. I'll add a pic, if I can.
    ETA3: My VP9SK has this, as well.
    Pics 1&2 are uspc 45, pic 3 is VP9SK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Usp 9mm flange groove in slide?-20190310_110617.jpg   Usp 9mm flange groove in slide?-20190310_110751.jpg   Usp 9mm flange groove in slide?-20190310_113712.jpg  
    Last edited by bp1; 03-10-2019 at 04:40 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

bp1
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

On a second look at the pic of your pistol, there appears to be a dent on a corner of the ejector. Could this be causing erratic ejection?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bp1 View Post
    @danneh
    Dan,
    I have noticed a shallow groove just forward of the breech face, as well.
    I am guessing that it has to do with feeding, helping the way that the case feeds or sits in the chamber.
    I first noticed the groove while cleaning one of my pistols.

ETA: I do not believe that it would be the cause of the stovepipe jams.
    Check the usual suspects; extractor, ejector, chamber fouling, RSA, is it with the same mag every time, etc.

ETA2: My USPC 45 has this shallow groove opposite the extractor. I'll add a pic, if I can.
    ETA3: My VP9SK has this, as well.
    Pics 1&2 are uspc 45, pic 3 is VP9SK
    Wow that some great looking pictures! I guess it's by design then. I have been messing with the extractor spring tension since I feel it's way undersprung. Extractor fouls up in about 500 rnds so severely it almost seizes.

I suppose the problem could be the ejector. How would you go about adjusting the extractor as it's cast into the frame? I could file it into shape but then I'd have to know what I'm trying to achieve.

Hk Europe have terrible customer service to civilians, otherwise I'd just sent it to them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonFrost View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I am going to say that looks normal but hopefully someone with a little more expertise will be along shortly. Do you compete in IDPA or USPSA?
    Thank you, I only do ipsc as we don't have idpa and uspsa in sweden. If we had I'd probably do all of them. uspsa and ipsc is pretty much the same thing after all 🙂
    JonFrost likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by danneh View Post
    Thank you, I only do ipsc as we don't have idpa and uspsa in sweden. If we had I'd probably do all of them. uspsa and ipsc is pretty much the same thing after all
    Ah, I didn't realize you weren't in the US. IPSC is great! I am sorry to hear Hk customer service is not good over there, it's excellent in the states. I hope you get it figured out!

bp1
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

@danneh
    Is your extractor spring original? Does it have the rubber plug/stabilizer inside the spring?
    With 15000 rounds, and being in competition, that would be the first thing that I would do; install a new extractor spring, especially given your thoughts that it is under sprung. Maybe it has lost its ambition.
    The extractor springs on my Hk's seem to be strong. Press in the tail of the extractor. Does the extractor feel free in its groove? If it is becoming seized, clean it more often or try different ammunition?

Try this: take a round (preferably a spent case or a live round with due caution)... Lock the slide to the rear, insert the round in the chamber, muzzle down. Slowly, bring the slide forward until the extractor is against the case rim. If the extractor easily slips over the case rim, extractor spring is weak. If you have to press in the tail of the extractor for it to snap over the case, it should take a fair amount of pressure to make it happen.
    I would say to replace extractor spring without hesitation, lightly stone or file the ejector to take the deformation off the corner. You may be left with a slight chamfer on that corner. I would rather have that than the sharp edges of the dent. (Although, looking at the photo in zoom may make it look larger than it is.) Look at photos of other USP 9 ejectors for reference.
    Inspect the extractor claw and the groove of the slide where the extractor lies.

E. T. A. Is the chamber clean, or have fouling or any brass built up on it?
    Do you use brass case ammo? New or reloaded?
    Last edited by bp1; 03-10-2019 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Sponsored Links