VP 9 not Locking Back - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: VP 9 not Locking Back

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Kost...
    If your student has a USPc with a std/sm release and dropping the mag inadvertently, I’d say that’s unusual (bot not impossible).
    Also why my P2000/USP9c have the std/sm mag release.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzz View Post
    Kost...
    If your student has a USPc with a std/sm release and dropping the mag inadvertently, I’d say that’s unusual (bot not impossible).
    Also why my P2000/USP9c have the std/sm mag release.
    I was puzzled too, had to really watch her fingers when the gun recoiled, sure enough it was her thumb hitting the release.

Not to hijack the thread, check the shooters grip...very closely. =)

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

Hidden Content Hidden Content

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I experienced this issue nearly every time while shooting a family members VP9 Southpaw. It was not a problem shooting right handed.

I actually would be very interested in a VP9L if not for the unavailability of a shorter right side lever for this pistol. (I don’t modify my guns apart from OEM items)

I have actually installed right side short levers on all my P30 guns because of the issue shooting left handed, caused by my grip.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HKSIGslinger View Post
    Hitting the slide lock. Thumbs forward grip is fine but the shooter needs to bring his dominant hand thumb over top of the support hand thumb. No big deal really. Good luck!

Attachment 228086
    Yep, that is a great picture and while his technique is not wrong per say. It will cause the issue this thread is talking about.

Great picture.
    HKSIGslinger likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can confirm my thumbs forward grip has caused the VP9 slide to not lock back on the empty magazine.

None of my magazines are out of spec or show any other unusual descrepencies that have been mentioned in other posts.

What I figured was happening is the meaty part of my hand, between the thumb and the wrist, was applying enough pressure to prevent the slide lock lever from popping up and engaging the slide.

I haven’t carried a SIG in a decade, carry Glock at work, and the VP9 family was new to me. It came to light as another instructor was watching me and when I was going through long strings of fire and reloading drills, did it occur. Not always, but a few times out of maybe three dozen.

This is causing me to change how I grip the VP9, which means I’m not carrying the VP9 any more. I plan to start more training with the VP9 and hopefully it’ll work out.

My other thought would be either a factory part that changes where the lever sits, or how it’s shaped. If it extended out more, maybe I wouldn’t smother it?
    Flag Day Joe
    The Cold War didn't end, communism still lives and has come to America.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 41magnut View Post
    I have to say this is the first time I have ever heard of this.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've had this happen a few times with my Hk45. On my vp9 the slide never locks back because of my thumbs forward grip. Not a big deal as I only shoot it in competition but as a lefty the bigger slide release/catch on the right side is really hard to avoid. Doesn't happen as much with my p30's.

PROUD ASA MEMBER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by armtx77 View Post
    Yep, that is a great picture and while his technique is not wrong per say. It will cause the issue this thread is talking about.

Great picture.
    Thank you sir! Visual aids are always helpful for folks. I didn’t have my VP9 handy but I knew I had this photo from a previous class that illustrates the grip technique I described. I shoot all pistols this way now.
    HK addict in constant search for a cure.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

My first VP9 was my first semi auto pistol. After a cumulative 35K rounds through all on them, I never once have had this issue. It's not the gun is all I'm saying.
    VP9 - times 4
    VP9SK
    P30 v3
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HKSIGslinger View Post
    Hitting the slide lock. Thumbs forward grip is fine but the shooter needs to bring his dominant hand thumb over top of the support hand thumb. No big deal really. Good luck!

Attachment 228086
    Can somebody explain an alternate grip (other than thumbs forward) to use for these pistols? I don’t have a VP9 but I have a similar issue with the USP compact (support thumb on / hitting the slide lock). I posted about it but my post vanished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I was new to my P30 SK I experienced the same failure to lock back. Fixed my grip, no longer an issue. I also experienced dropping mags with the P30L. For some reason I had a bit of difficulty adjusting to the full size grip. Again, it just takes practice. Gotta put in the work. I like the USP mag releases because they’re a little smaller. Just keep working on it.

Happy shooting!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links