HELP! Cracked frame on a USP .45c Stainless - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: HELP! Cracked frame on a USP .45c Stainless

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Looks to me like he put a stake in a vise and up the grip to do heavy work in the action. Maybe locked it tight on a blown cartridge or to knock a stuck bullet from the bore or mis-assembled it and had to force the gun apart. Does it look A-OK up in the moving parts department or are there deformations in parts there?
    Last edited by Cobblestone; 03-27-2019 at 03:54 PM.
    My opinion's as worthy as one from any other doddering old grampa you have never met or heard of.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobblestone View Post
    Looks to me like he put a stake in a vise and up the grip to do heavy work in the action. Maybe locked it tight on a blown cartridge or to knock a stuck bullet from the bore or mis-assembled it and had to force the gun apart. Does it look A-OK up in the moving parts department or are there deformations in parts there?
    It looks fine, but I only have a real old USP 45 full size to compare it to.

I got in touch with the seller and decided to take a little over $300 in a refund for it. I looked over the rest of the gun, everything looks fine and when I took it to the range it ran fine. I know most people in this thread recommended I just send it back, but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of it.

Its going to be my carry gun anyways, I expect it to get somewhat beatup. I'm getting in touch with Tommy built tactical right now to see what the cost of repair would be. I'll also ask my local gunsmith if he has any ideas. My last resort is sending it to HK.

Does anyone have any other gunsmiths that they would recommend? And thanks everyone for the advice so far!
    redpillregret likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I think you’ve made a wise decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

You/everyone will have his prerogative.
    Minimum, attenuate the crack by drilling a hole at the end (e.g. fiberglass/windshield repair).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Ask yourself this: would you misrepresent a gun and sell it to some unsuspecting guy? If you answer yes, keep the gun, you got what you deserve. If you are the kind of guy that would never do that to someone, return the gun and get a refund. I strive to treat others the way I would like to be treated. Just an opinion, yours might vary.

mew
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDragon11 View Post
    I got in touch with the seller and decided to take a little over $300 in a refund for it. I looked over the rest of the gun, everything looks fine and when I took it to the range it ran fine. I know most people in this thread recommended I just send it back, but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of it. Its going to be my carry gun anyways, I expect it to get somewhat beatup.
    since you are getting a partial refund why not get a replacement frame from HK?? then you will have a beautiful pistol to enjoy not wasted your refund money on a repair. my 2 cents........
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you decide to keep and repair it, I highly recommend that you drill a check-stop hole, and then repair it with something like a color matched JB Weld.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, this story gets a happy ending.

I sent the frame out to Tommy Built Tactical since someone recommended him a few pages back. He mentioned he'd never seen a crack occur in this area before, but he did a beautiful job filling it in, and I can't even see where the cracks were originally.

The repair itself ran about $63 with shipping. The pistol with 1 mag I paid $620 and got a partial refund of $310. Altogether I got this thing for $375 so I'm a happy camper. Only thing I need now is another mag if anyone has an extra for sale?

Last edited by GreenDragon11; 04-10-2019 at 05:27 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Glad it worked out for you. I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

Doc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome news! Repair looks really good.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links