HKPRO Forums banner

Mark 23 - the temptation

3K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  RedRiverII 
#1 ·
I'm just interested in opinions. I currently have a VP9 and a USPc - both in 9 mm. I have a Sig and a few other guns, but nothing with the reputation of the Mark 23.

I'm in the position to get a Mark 23 now. My local club has some amateur competition stuff each week and they recommend 45 cal for some of their free standing target events. I was thinking a 1911, but I find the Mark 23 a more interesting firearm. I would shoot it as much as possible and probably have it around for home defense.

But being the over analytical person I am, I'm looking at the 2k and thinking I could get x, y, and/or z instead. I certainly don't see plummeting in value anytime soon, and I could probably sell it for at least 75% of what I am about to pay. This would be a totally luxury purchase, I don't see is necessarily as an investment, but it could be.

Is here a better gun(s) I could find anywhere else right now?

#2 ·
NO.

IF YOU CAN, GET THE MARK 23.

It's on my 'one day' list. But if you are looking for a GREAT .45ACP pistol, I'm pretty sure the the MARK 23 should be at the top of that list.

But it's all up to you. Your money. I doubt you will be able wipe the grin off your face while you are shooting the MARK 23 ! I'm unsure if ANY of the OTHER pistols you will consider can say that.

Reactions: RedRiverII
#3 ·
Get a MK23. I’m willing to bet most people don’t have buyer's remorse after buying one.

If you do, sell the Sig to soften the blow.

#8 ·
I have a Mk23. I have read a good many posts from people who admire the pistol. Other posts from guys who have owned one or fired one and don't care for Mk23. Several negative opinions from people who have never even seen a Mk23 in person and who see no sense in the Mk23.

Of all the pistols I have ever had, and there have been many, the Mk23 is the most expensive pistol and the most expensive to outfit.
Holsters are few, tend to be expensive, and it can be hard to find the one you like (while the second and third-place winners, that you bought with real money, continue to pile up).
Light/laser mount adapters cost money and allow you to spend even more to get the light/laser itself.
Good magazine pouches that fit right aren't plentiful or cheap.

On the flip side, other than having tritium installed ( I didn't and won't bother) or installing a laser adapter, the pistol is already set to go. Sights are good and suited for suppressor. Barrel is threaded. Recoil system is all set for suppressor. All of the controls work just fine under any conditions, so you need not waste money on huge hold-open levers or magazine releases or anything else.
It's like ordering your pickup from the factory with trailer towing package factory installed.

I knew these things going in. When I went to order a new Mk23, they were on backorder, so I bought a used one, said to be unfired (I believe it too) for $200 below CMC's first responder prices.

I like the Mk23. I will keep it. Everyone who shoots my Mk23 likes the pistol. It's is accurate as the ****ens. Maybe you can match accuracy with an Expert, but you cannot outfit an Expert like you can a Mk23, and if you could, it would be expensive (threaded bbl, holster, light/laser, suppressor sights).

I bought a Colt AR15 once and planned to equip it. By the time I was done, I'd have been money ahead to buy a built rifle from Daniel Defense or Knight's. Same with pistols.
None of the other pistols quite measure up to what a bone stock Mk23 is, when they come out of the box or after heavy, expensive modification (probably including the Expert if a suppressor in in your future).

My Mk23 was chosen for certain reasons, precisely FOR the characteristics it has and for its features, and with no unreasonable expectations like dreams of carrying it in an ankle holster.
I had plans and expectations for it, too - Plans I believe it fulfills as well as any pistol ever made. Better, in fact, because the controls designed in give the pistol 2 entirely different carry modes.

There are nabobs who dislike the pistol because it is large. Some who assume Mk23 owners are Spec Ops wanna-be types. Some who think the pistol is an over-engineered monster. They can think what they want to. I'm sure some of them like Glocks and carry Glocks appendix IWB. I don't. So, there.

#10 ·
Get a MARK 23 and never look back. If possible, try to find an older one with the maritime finish and the camo case.

#17 ·
Yup, buy used. They are more desirable and often cheaper unless you're looking for a safe queen. I paid $1,300 for my "Mark 23." That's an outlier but I see sub $2,000 MARK 23's all the time.

One caveat, if you cannot or will not suppress it many of the advantages are negated in my opinion. And buy the KAC suppressor. They are completely badass and the combo is just perfect.

#11 ·
I have a Mark 23 that I shoot in competition. The single action trigger has been worked on and is pretty good but a tuned 1911 will have a better trigger than you can ever get on a mark 23. However with practice I still do well with the pistol and it is a lot of fun to shoot and once you get the hang of it, I expect you will be happy with it. If you are planning on serious competition, then this isn’t the best choice. If there is a gunsmith in your country capable of working on the trigger, it will be worth the expense, otherwise just buy a bunch of ammo and enjoy yourself!

#12 ·
..My local club has some amateur competition stuff each week and they recommend 45 cal for some of their free standing target events...I would shoot it as much as possible and probably have it around for home defense...
The Mk23 is a combat pistol, and not a competition pistol. If you want an HK pistol that you can use for both competition and home defense, go with the USP45 Expert instead. It is more ideal because the match DA/SA trigger more suited to fit both roles. Although the Mk23 has a match trigger, it's not the same because the trigger it's heavier in DA and SA than the Expert's.

Don't get me wrong. I own and shoot a Mk23, and love it. But when it comes to target/competition shooting, there are better choices out there.

#20 ·
The threads are different, but with every mainstream handgun suppressor, you can purchase extra pistons in different thread pitches and change them out as needed.

Now, on the Mark 23, I've had one for about 3 years and it is absolutely fantastic. It is a buy once, cry once item. You forget about that 2K price tag REAL quick after shooting it.
As others have said, a quality 1911 will have a slightly better trigger, but (at least to me) that doesn't bother me. The Mark 23 trigger is fine, and everything else about the gun eclipses the 1911. It's far more rugged, more reliable, and built to be abused.

You won't regret getting one.

#21 ·
Well I ordered today. New (under 2k). It's being shipped out, hopefully in the morning.

I never have bought a lot of junk or stuff for myself. I always buy fewer nice things that will last, even though they will probably depreciate. This pistol sounds like a keeper.

VP9 (9mm), USPc (9mm), and now this.

I looked around and LOL, suppressors are even more than my USP was, so I might not be getting another HK pistol for a bit. But anyone have a suggestion what to look into next?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.