Could my next HK be a USP? Need opinions on USP
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Could my next HK be a USP? Need opinions on USP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Could my next HK be a USP? Need opinions on USP

Hey Folks

First, thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier thread about my next potential HK. There were a lot of votes for the USP. I looked into it and it is intriguing. I did have a questions specifically about the USP, so I started a new thread. A lot of folks recommended the the USP expert. It looks great, but I believe it only comes from the factory DA/SA. I believe some folks have had Lazy Wolf Guns convert their USP expert to LEM, if I'm not mistaken. My experience is with SA only guns (i.e., VP9 family, SP5K), hence I'd be more interested in LEM than DA/SA. I've already customized all of my existing HKs, so have voided the warranty on all of them! (LWG triggers, paddle mag release on SP5K among other things) I was thinking it would be nice to have one HK that is under warranty, so I'm not in love with the idea having a USP expert converted to LEM. So, my question is: how much better is the USP expert than the standard USP? Meaning if it is worlds of difference, then maybe I could be convinced to customize that too! :D

Best,
    SCPK

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The USP is the classic fantastic. The Colt Python of semi autos is the HK P7 though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This was my dilemma for my first HK in 45acp. Back and forth with USPc vs 45c, HK45 and USP45. Ordered a USP45 le last Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Here's my take on this, it already is a single action gun from factory DA/SA. You get the best of both worlds with their fire control design, decoct and carry off safety... or run cocked and locked. That being said, LEM gives you a LONG single action pull which can be carried safely without manual safety because of the trigger travel being far enough. Not really a wrong answer, but you definitely could have the LEM setup installed if that tickles your pickle.
    DarkeWolf and SCPK like this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

You can install LEM fairly easily yourself. Worst part is probably going to be the Trigger Return Spring.

That being said, I think HK will convert it for you, if you're that worried about your warranty. But I don't think you're going to have issues with the warranty DIY unless you screw it up bad (which is a really hard thing to do).

I think you should just buy it DA/SA, and shoot it, and if you hate it that much, convert to LEM. To me, learning to shoot DA/SA is a good skill to have. If you can shoot DA/SA well, you can shoot anything well.
    DarkeWolf and SCPK like this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Most common-sense pistol ever made. A true HK classic.
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it.
    You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good.
    Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy.
    Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

"If you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat" Ronald Reagan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I decided to go down the USP road I had a chance to shoot a virtually brand new Expert 9mm V1 and a USP 9 LEM that had several thousand rounds through it. The main thing that I found significantly better on the Expert trigger was the reset. I could deal with that since the trigger on the USP 9 LEM could always be worked on. Ended up buying a used USP 9 LEM with jet funnel with 5 mags for half the cost of a new Expert and I don't regret that decision.

Next one was a new USP 9 compact LEM, then a new USP 45 tact V1 and Sunday a great deal on a used USP 40. So I rounded out the must have group of USP's.
    SCPK likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if memory serves, a key difference b/n the standard usp and the expert is that the latter has a fitted barrel. If you were to secure a USP Expert and wanted to convert it to an LEM, Im sure HK-USA would be happy to do it for you, which would then keep your warranty intact. Besides, one of the virtues of the USP is its interchangeable triggers.

You need to FEEL an LEM trigger though. Since you are in Chicago, there is a store, Suburban Sporting Goods in Melrose Park, that is selling a used USPc 40 with an LEM trigger. I believe it has a heavier rebound spring. if it's still there, you'll have an opportunity to see what the trigger is like for yourself:)

And proctors, if mentioning a retail store is against the rules, I apologize and will understand if you delete this post. Just trying to help a budding HK enthusiast see what the LEM is all about:)

Quote Originally Posted by SCPK View Post
    Hey Folks

First, thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier thread about my next potential HK. There were a lot of votes for the USP. I looked into it and it is intriguing. I did have a questions specifically about the USP, so I started a new thread. A lot of folks recommended the the USP expert. It looks great, but I believe it only comes from the factory DA/SA. I believe some folks have had Lazy Wolf Guns convert their USP expert to LEM, if I'm not mistaken. My experience is with SA only guns (i.e., VP9 family, SP5K), hence I'd be more interested in LEM than DA/SA. I've already customized all of my existing HKs, so have voided the warranty on all of them! (LWG triggers, paddle mag release on SP5K among other things) I was thinking it would be nice to have one HK that is under warranty, so I'm not in love with the idea having a USP expert converted to LEM. So, my question is: how much better is the USP expert than the standard USP? Meaning if it is worlds of difference, then maybe I could be convinced to customize that too! :D

Best,
    SCPK
    SCPK likes this.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
    ...If you were to secure a USP Expert and wanted to convert it to an LEM, Im sure HK-USA would be happy to do it for you...
    I would never, ever do that. The match trigger on the USP Expert is the best factory DA/SA in the HK line-up. I can understand why one would convert to a LEM from the standard DA/SA, but not the match.
    FPNunes likes this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster762 View Post
    This was my dilemma for my first HK in 45acp. Back and forth with USPc vs 45c, HK45 and USP45. Ordered a USP45 le last Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    From where??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links