Rip p2000 - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Rip p2000

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzz View Post
    ... they picked the MOS Gen5 Glock in 9mm... intends to transition all current law enforcement form .40 S&W to 9mm pistols by the end of Fiscal Year 2021...

The handwriting on the wall for the HK 40.
    40 is stupid cheap now but won't be forever; it won't fully go away. There's less issued.45 ACP use and outside of 1911 afficionados (who also are taking up 9mm at a rapid pace); even fewer decent duty guns in .45 ACP and it's still alive and well. Even if it goes deep niche', it will never be gone (see below that people are still talking .357 Sig...whose popularity is probably behind .38 Super and ahead of .45 GAP)

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
    The G5's need real world extended reliability cred, the other's do not as they have proven themselves.
    Nah...they're far better out of the box than a stock Gen 3 and let's not forget all the teething Gen 4 problems. It's by far their best Gen. Were Sig not out-playing Glock at their own game, Glock would have an even tighter hold on the market than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by corgi View Post
    Bigger holes make bigger leaks. why not 357Sig? its a great round. and the 357Sig is like shooting a 9mm+P, so not much recoil IMO. I understand the cost issue, but if more standarized, it would drive down prices
    Ugh...no. Look into body elasticity and wound cavity in REAL pistol shooting. Provided bullet construction is on point, bore diameter is not a critical factor for affect on unarmored persons. .357 Sig offers nothing a +P 9mm can give with reduced capacity and logistic problems....It's dead; face it.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusandCo View Post
    I think CBP went with the Gen 5 Glocks because they addressed and built to the requirements of the tender; Striker-fired, polymer-framed, low bore axis, Optical sight compatibility, etc... I also assume they were competitively priced.
    Well...yeah. Lately everything out there is written for either Glock or Sig in mind. Funny though some requirements were written for Glock were won by Sig and vice versa. Gov procurement is stupid.
    Last edited by dms16; 04-23-2019 at 08:15 PM.
    zart312 likes this.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For what it's worth, we are still carrying our P2000 .40's, and have only been told we'll have the new Glocks by 2021.

I just ordered a new front sight and Talon Grip decals for my service pistol. My aging eyes were not doing their best with the old, faded 13 year-old Meprolight Tru Dots. I tried the Trijicon HD sights with the orange front sight and it was even more blurry for my eyes. Nice sights, especially for those with better vision, but they blur out with my eyes far more than a white dot. I have Big Dots on most of my carry pistols, but they are not authorized at work.

Interestingly, Meprolight and Truglo both responded promptly and professionally to questions about sight dimensions. Meprolight was particularly helpful. HK did not respond at all to my inquiry about OEM tritium front sight heights, sent from my Gov't email. Go figure.
    Last edited by FergusandCo; 09-23-2019 at 05:35 PM.
    "Remain yourself, in spite of all the mighty do."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love the P2000's, they are a thinner USPc in my opinion. I also love the 40, but the dept in my city was cutting costs everywhere and the switch to 9mm was an easy sell. The officers rarely shoot and the ones ive seen shoot are average. Glock is a very good platform, I can run a glock well but the grip angle throws me off and I think theyre ugly lol. Hk does need an optics ready pistol and id buy one as soon as it hits the gun shop but I figure itll be another 5yrs....
    40cal pistols and ammo have come down in price, so that's a plus for me!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I’m a P2000 & P2000sk fan as well. Those models just seem to fit my hand the best out of all other models (even the newer “ergonomic” models with all the side panel and blackstrap configurations). And a huge plus is the P2000 models also seem to carry and hide better for IWB EDC. They just feel super rock solid.
    Firefighter, gumby and 4X4 like this.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What doomed the P2000 in the Border Patrol was the heavier version of the LEM trigger, plus the fact that the military and all the other agencies were getting cool new 9mm guns. All the BP guns have 8 lb LEM triggers, including a smaller number of USP .40 Compacts. A lot of folks shot them poorly. I've never fired a light LEM trigger, but it's got to be easier to shoot, and given the long length of trigger travel, it can't be much less safe.

I think if HK had marketed the light LEM trigger module, plus a caliber conversion kit, to the Border Patrol, the gun might still be in full service. If a conversion barrel, new magazine, and perhaps a new recoil spring would suffice, like can be done with many of the classic SIG pistols, it could have soldiered on. I've read that they'd also need a new extractor to function reliably, but I've no idea. Someone here will know. I know HK sells full slide conversions, but I imagine CBP would balk at that, unless a very low cost per unit was negotiated. But new slides also might have allowed a optical sight mount capability, which was another requirement of the new guns. All this presumes that HK would even be willing to make an optic capable 9mm P2000 slide and conversion kit at an attractive price, for a significant government contract.

CBP should still consider something like that now, so these guns can be refreshed and put in "substitute standard" or "war reserve" status, instead of being destroyed. They are still quite functional. From what I've seen, the most common thing to break on the BP guns was the trigger (return?) spring, and that only after extensive use.
    Last edited by FergusandCo; 09-27-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links