Comparison of USP vs. VP guiderods and recoil management
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Comparison of USP vs. VP guiderods and recoil management

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Comparison of USP vs. VP guiderods and recoil management

I'm a fan of both platforms, and this is not a criticism so don't get feathers ruffled. It's a genuine mechanical engineering query.

So, I remember reading and hearing lots of hype about the advanced design of the USP guide rod and recoil spring system with double spring design, supposedly cutting recoil down some 30%. And it "stages" for lack of a better word. Okay, great. Works well. Sound design.

I recently bought a VP40 and was surprised that HK moved to a very Glock-like single guidrod with single flat coil spring, found in Gen1 thru Gen3 Glocks. HK claim is that it cuts down dramatically on recoil... Well I'll be... Hmmm... Glock moved away from this in their Gen4, to a more HK USP type design with two springs.

HK USP
    Comparison of USP vs. VP guiderods and recoil management-28872-wts-heckler-koch-uspsd-9mm-recoil-spring-assembly-brand-new-img_2943.jpg

HK VP series
    Comparison of USP vs. VP guiderods and recoil management-stainless-recoil-rod-assembly-complete-vp9-vp40-s-1.jpg

Glock Gen1-3
    Comparison of USP vs. VP guiderods and recoil management-923568.jpg

Glock Gen 4-5
    Comparison of USP vs. VP guiderods and recoil management-gen4guiderod.jpg

So it seems Glock adopted the HK design, and HK adopted the Glock design.

All very confusing. Is this legit, or a cost cutting measure, or does the one or the other actually work better... ?
    Last edited by leadcounsel; 04-25-2019 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Adding pictures
    andru likes this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

For what it’s worth, I switch Glocks to the single spring design because springs are easier to change and I can tune them for what I’m shooting.

I believe Glock swapped to increase service life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    leadcounsel likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Legit? What do you mean by that?

Colt recently went to a dual spring recoil guide rod system, it's all the rage these days, USP was one of the first to go this route!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

PROUD ASA MEMBER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Cost cutting measure by HK imo, however, a flat, single spring is not a bad design. Also, even though the glock spring is now a dual captive design, the way it's constructed is prone to failure. Before I moved away from glock many moons ago I broke two. One in less than 2,000 rounds and another in less than 250. But hey, "Glock Perfection" right? The dual spring and where it locks up to the barrel is much beefier in the USP units.
    leadcounsel likes this.
    HK addict in constant search for a cure.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Uh, you are all aware that the HK COMPACT (9,.357 sig, 40) has a single spring guide rod?

just sayin
    WolfieRules likes this.
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

As long as it works don't really care. One of my VP9s has over 24K rounds, haven't changed anything since bought it, works perfectly....this one is my range toy, I'm running it until something breaks as a durability test.
    VP9 - times 4
    VP9SK
    P30 v3
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wallew View Post
    Uh, you are all aware that the HK COMPACT (9,.357 sig, 40) has a single spring guide rod?
    And the P/V SK have the dual… tells you it’s designed for the platform (and so much for cost reduction).
    On paper, the single is faster and the dual slower (why the felt recoil reduction). On the SK’s the dual slows the action given the short slide/cycle, now raise your hand if you think the SK is slow.
    leadcounsel and WolfieRules like this.

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Comparison of USP vs. VP guiderods and recoil management

Delete....
    Last edited by dpadams6; 04-25-2019 at 03:48 PM.

bp1
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Of note is the fact that the USP dual spring setup versus the dual spring setup in VP9SK P30SK is very different in the way that they operate.
    The SK's springs both compress at the same time.
    The USP Outer spring compresses first, and then both the inner and the outer springs are compressed together as the slide/barrel/RSA move rearward an additional 5-6mm.

The USP recoil system is wild. I believe that Browning would be impressed.
    Last edited by bp1; 04-25-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I have firearms with both and I don't really care as long as the pistol is reliable and shoots well. I have read complaints by some on the USP RSA design giving the USP pistol a figure 8 type of recoil impulse. I have shot Glocks with and without the dual spring design and I could not tell any difference and have read much the same from many others. Slide mass/size and other springs in the pistol also have a bearing especially with hammer fired pistols and the hammer spring. I find my VP9 to be an an outstanding shooter as it is. I don't believe the RSA design in the VP9 had anything to do with cost cutting but is by design. Both the subcompact VP9SK and P30SK have a dual spring RSA while the P30/P30L and VP9 do not.
    leadcounsel likes this.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    ― Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links