HK45CT Hammer Off Center
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: HK45CT Hammer Off Center

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK45CT Hammer Off Center

I noticed this shortly after taking possession of my new HK45CT. It is a V7 (LEM) with the typical bobbed hammer. It was ordered this way, as a brand new, factory LEM (not a conversion).

Naturally, the first place I looked for information on the subject was the archives of this very forum. A search revealed several threads on the matter, dating back a few years, but most of them seemed to relate to LEM conversions (most commonly, using parts sourced from hkparts.net); there was apparently an issue with a batch of out-of-spec hammers. I didn't find anybody complaining of off-center hammers on pistols which came from HK in the LEM configuration.

Below is a picture of the offending hammer. As you can see, it is about as far left as it can get before it runs into the slide (I took the picture with the sights in horizontal alignment to confirm the camera angle is true). It is worth noting I shot the pistol for the first time, yesterday (about 275 rds) and it did not seem to affect function (though there was one FTF–covered in more detail in my "Range Report").

I'm also wondering if anyone else has seen off center hammers on recently delivered HKs. I'm not sure it's more than a cosmetic issue, but it does irk me a bit.

HK45CT Hammer Off Center-hk45ct_hammer.jpeg
    In a world of compromise, some procrastinate.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Since you bought it new, and the pic looks like it's oos, call hkcs. They usually take care of it quick.

2 is 1 and 1 is none. Until the Mark 23.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I have the same gun (all factory like yours). My trigger is centered. Send your pic to HKCS, and they'll take care of it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I installed a LEM kit in my 45ct a few years back, it looks just like that..I called HK and they told me that was common, and nothing to worry about. It's a tolerance stacking issue, and I was told that if you wanted straight hammer you'd literally have go through a pile of them until you got one that fit straight. I later took the LEM kit out of the .45ct, and went back to DA/SA. Recently, I traded a G19 for a USPc in.45, it had a horrible DA/SA trigger, so I installed the same LEM kit, this time the hammer is fairly straight...
    Last edited by ralphhh; 04-28-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a USP LEM with the same appearance. I also was initially concerned but after using it, have never had any issues. If you watch the hammer as it pulls completely back from the slide, there’s really no side movement and essentially gets flush laterally with the frame anyways. Probably a terrible description on my part, so let’s say the above explanation makes perfect sense (which it does). 🙂

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ralphhh View Post
    I installed a LEM kit in my 45ct a few years back, it looks just like that..I called HK and they told me that was common, and nothing to worry about. It's a tolerance stacking issue, and I was told that if you wanted straight hammer you'd literally have go through a pile of them until you got one that fit straight...
    Tolerance stacking sounds like a reasonable explanation for this issue, but just because it explains it doesn't mean it excuses it. How many times have you seen/read a review of an HK in which, when the question "why do they cost more?" is raised, one answer is almost robotically repeated:

"The fit and finish are perfect."

Well, the fit on this one is not perfect. Not even close. While I realize it possibly doesn't affect the function of the pistol, it bothers me—like paying good money for a brand new car and finding that the grille is off-center—"don't worry, it's a tolerance stacking issue and the engine will still run fine with it like that."

I've sent the same pic to HK CS; we'll see what they say this time (it appears from the various replies above they have different answers depending on their mood). If the only solution is to "go through a pile" of hammers, well, I'm sure they have plenty of hammers at the HK factory, and someone can go through the pile until the pistol is in the state it should have been before it left the factory the first time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    Tolerance stacking sounds like a reasonable explanation for this issue, but just because it explains it doesn't mean it excuses it. How many times have you seen/read a review of an HK in which, when the question "why do they cost more?" is raised, one answer is almost robotically repeated:

Well, the fit on this one is not perfect. Not even close. While I realize it possibly doesn't affect the function of the pistol, it bothers me—like paying good money for a brand new car and finding that the grille is off-center—"don't worry, it's a tolerance stacking issue and the engine will still run fine with it like that."

I've sent the same pic to HK CS; we'll see what they say this time (it appears from the various replies above they have different answers depending on their mood). If the only solution is to "go through a pile" of hammers, well, I'm sure they have plenty of hammers at the HK factory, and someone can go through the pile until the pistol is in the state it should have been before it left the factory the first time.
    It's your pistol dude, your time, your money, do what you want, It dosen't bother me a bit..Like it or not, HK's just like CZ's, S&W, etc are mass produced items, and as such, little things like this are going to get out..I can promise you this..HKUSA, is not going to spend alot of time fishing through LEM hammers just to get you one that's acceptable to you.. After all, they're paying these guys that work on them by the hour, they're not going to waste alot of time on a cosmetic issue, they have better things to do..They'll try a couple or so, and they'll ship it back. Straight or not..As long as it's not rubbing on the frame, or causing any functional problems, then it's good to go. I've been down that road..good luck.
    Last edited by ralphhh; 04-28-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I must respectfully disagree. HK didn't build their reputation on being "good enough, so long as you don't look close."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I must respectfully disagree. HK didn't build their reputation on being "good enough, so long as you don't look close."
    I never said they did..Like any other company they're in business to make money..sure, if you end up sending your pistol in, they'll look it over, and make an effort to get the hammer straight..but if after trying 2,3, and it's still the same, guess what you're getting back? You do understand that the LEM hammer is made of two peices a inner hammer( for lack of the correct term) and the outer, visable one, so, there's 3 parts which can have tolerance stacking, the inner hammer, the outer hammer, and the axel they ride on, suppose you're the 'smith..which do you change first? You can spend all day mixing and matching parts and still end up right where you started.. Like I said, they'll likely make an effort, but, they're not going to spend all day on a cosmetic issue either, if it comes back straight, well great..if it dosen't you'll have to learn to live with it, after all, if it dosen't affect function, in their opinion it's good to go.. These aren't custom made guns, they're mass produced. Like I said, I've been down this road, the crooked hammer in my HK45c never caused a issue. And I quit worrying about it...

mew
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I'm in your camp Faustus, I would not settle for that either. No excuse it's not fit correctly, tolerance stacking?? excuse for not being right I guess.......
    Hopefully HK doesn't become like many other mfg's out there with the "its within spec" BS as production quality is where HK shines and separates itself from the crowd.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links