P30L barrel lug broken. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: P30L barrel lug broken.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

what does the recoil assembly look like?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat... 2. Shoot guns... 3. Fire... 4. Gasoline... 5. Make juniors

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Service life on the HK P30 RSA is 20k rounds.

HK Lifetime Warranty is only in USA?
    Hmm it's world wide I thought? Have never seen an Exception Disclaimer Disclosure in the wordage regarding the Lifetime Warranty. I was unaware...

I recommend using Weapon Shield as a lubricant, arrests wear and tear in high load areas of the HK.

Watch a few of his youtube videos, he an SAE Lubricant Engineer / Chemist, he developed Weapon Shield to be the benchmark.
    Last edited by Kost; 05-17-2019 at 09:55 PM.
    sabre675 likes this.
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

Hidden Content Hidden Content

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I saw the exact same thing last October at an FBI firearms instructor development course I was attending. A swat guy from Germantown, TN was on the line when it happened to him. Could have been small batch of bad barrels as this is only the second time I've seen this. Hope you get yours up and running again soon.
    Honor, Discipline, Integrity...No Excuses!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Recoil assembly is in good shape EXCEPT the spring broke(2 coils at the rear end).
    Now, I know for a fact that it was whole when I started the shooting session in question(I field striped it that day to show the working principle to somebody). My suspicion is that it broke at the same time the lug broke or after that when the broken part got stuck in the spring/recoil assembly and I messed around with it to have it open.

P30L barrel lug broken.-recoil-assembly-barrel-matting-surface.jpg

The RSA service life is 20k. OK good to know. Will order a spare one.

Regarding the world wide lifetime warranty I think it would not be cost effective. The whole reason of lifetime warranty in USA is the fact that most people do not shoot long enough to break it, especially in countries where weapon access is easy(say USA) and many weapons are bought. So if one in 1000 is "insane" enough to shoot out his/her gun or jinxed enough to have a warranty issue, it will be counted as accepted losses.

In other parts of the world, where you have to go trough a lot of work to get a gun, it usually means that you will shoot it a lot for obvious reasons. Combine this with fewer sales, higher shipping costs, bureaucratic burden on shipping parts and then you will understand that it is simply not feasible to have a lifetime warranty.
    So in Europe I am aware of only 1 producer that offers lifetime warranty. Of course that some choose to go a bit beyond the mandatory(by law) 2 years of warranty but unfortunately it is not the HK policy.
    But, as I said, I accept this as it is the general rule in this part of the world.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Based on the limited knowledge, and the inability to paw over the assemblies myself, I'd surmise that you had the spring fail before the lug broke. Losing that bit of spring tension will change the way the slide is controlled, causing extra force to be applied to that lug on the barrel. I would have liked to have seen what condition the buffer is in. I can't honestly say I've ever seen that spring break, and my google-fu on the site here has come up with nothing. That's not to say it's never happened, I just cant recall it doing so.
    Admiral likes this.

4X4
    Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I feel the same about a slightly dirty gun. Sad to see this, I have a P30L in 40 and to me the P series seem to have nice, stout locking block lugs on the barrels. Especially compared to the VP series. Hope it's running with a new barrel soon.

4X4
    Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by serghey24 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Recoil assembly to barrel matting surface.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	232768
    My recoil assembly has much more wear on it than yours and has 1/10 the rounds through it.

JB1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You cleaned the P30L approximately 10 times. And you have shot 30,000 rounds through it.
    On one of my VP9sk, I have only shot 1000 rounds but have meticulously cleaned it 10 times. I must have OCD.

Question for OP.

How much does ammo cost in Europe? How much does a replacement barrel cost? If I shot 30,000 rounds here in USA, it would cost me about $5400 in ammo and at least $300 in cleaning products.....for a total of at least $5700 USD.
    If something happened to my VP9sk barrel, it would only cost me $188.00 if HK didn't fix/replace it. $188.00 is just a small amount compared to the amount that I would already have invested.

Gun--------------------$600
    Ammo-----------------$5400
    Cleaning Products----$300
    Holster----------------$75
    CCW permit-----------$150
    Indoor Range/year---$300
    Targets---------------$????

Replacement VP9sk barrel $188.00 and $40 for the RSA (basically peanuts)

https://us.hkwebshop.com/hkstorefron...arrel/p/239333

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Stai...-545p18660.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I change my 1911 recoil springs every couple thousand rounds to avoid abusing the gun, but that’s a standard spring that’s less than $10. I am sure I will change the RSA by 10K rounds on my P30L, if I can find one in stock somewhere. I clean and lube guns I’m shooting regularly by 500 rounds. This may be overkill, but it’s just how I function.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hy again.
    I will try to answer all the questions rised:
    @sota :
    1. The buffer assembly is nearly as the new one(except some minor dings in the silicone washer). I was just contemplating(before having ordered the complete RSA I was supposed to replace the day the barrel broke) to buy just the spring as the other parts are in good shape and I have the tools and expertise to take out the retaining washer and replace the spring. What deterred me was the minor cost difference.
    Pictures of the used one side by side a brand new one:
    P30L barrel lug broken.-60717957_2139240212859079_1319586619606433792_n.jpg
    P30L barrel lug broken.-60640778_321090315236744_347874848984268800_n.jpg
    2. I can not contradict you hypothesis that the spring broke and that caused increased stress on the lug, as I have no way of knowing this. However, in my experience when a recoil spring breaks in a tilting barrel or even rotating barrel design it manifests itself by failure to go into battery, as the broken sprig fails to deliver enough "umpf" at the end of the forward motion of the slide. Especially if the gun, especially the chamber and feed ramp, is dirty(I know my gun hygiene is not stellar by this forum's standard) :).

@ JB1:
    1. Ammo prices(note that those can vary significantly, mostly up, as I am in a privileged position in which I am in good contact with distributors and am able to buy bulk). Prices are given in $/round
    9x19mm: Geco 125gr-0.30$/round, WWB and SB 115gr-0.26$/round, local built brand 125gr-0.23$/round, Fiocchi 125gr-0.30$/round, Fiocchi 115gr-a bit cheaper
    .223: GGG 55gr-0.70$, SB-0.40$-1.00$ depending on grain, tip, etc. However since it is CIP(not SAAMI) it is basically 5.56
    12 gauge: practice slug, some Italian brand 0.46$/round but this price is a bit obsolete as I last purchased this type 2 years ago, heavy boar hunting slug- +1.00$/round

2. Barrel replacement cost consists of 3 parts: time(frustration that I can not shoot my favorite handgun), bureaucratic burden(tight control, need some approvals to order the barrel), money:
    time-I estimate that it will take 2-3 months, bureaucratic burden: +3 trips to the local authorities to get the documents needed, money: depends on shipping costs but it will be about the same as you estimated.

I know that the cost in money is basically zero compared to the ammunition it took to break it, this is why I accept and do not feel bad about it. If I where to put a price on my frustration however, I estimate it at 500$/month(I sell it cheaply) :).

I do not CCW, is purely for range, I do not pay for targets nor range due to my job :) , cleaning products cost me nearly nothing as I have good contacts in the tribology business so I buy industry products not gun products as I found out that gun products, for some strange reason cost 5 times more despite having the same content and, as it was noticed above, I much to rarely use them anyway :)...

@All: I am under the impression that you think that I am somewhat trashing HK products. Far from it. I like their products(aldough the MR223 is heavy, even with the 14.5" barrel so pimping it with lots of aiming devices, grips, lights and so on is out of the question if you plan on shooting it dynamically off hand, unless you push train charts for a living).

The whole reason I started this tread is to open a discussion as what is the possible cause and how I can avid it in the future. So far my take away is: (1)20k rounds the RSA exchange, (2)maybe a defective batch of barrels, (3)maybe a of spec mating surface between RSA and barrel lug causing shearing forces.
    All of them can be solved by the fact that the new barrel will receive a new RSA, both being built +2 years after the old ones.
    Last edited by serghey24; 05-19-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links