P30L barrel lug broken. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: P30L barrel lug broken.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Personally, I believe you are wasting your time. From the website....

"What Is Not Covered?
    This warranty does not cover defects or damage caused by: (1) unreasonable use; (2) failure to provide proper care or maintenance; (3) failure to comply with instructions in the owner’s manual including improper installation of original Heckler & Koch Inc. parts by the owner or his agent; (4) normal wear and tear for the degree of use; (5) rust or corrosion; (6) obstructions in the barrels; (7) excessive use; (8) finish on the slide.
    Heckler & Koch Inc. reserves the right to determine what constitutes the unreasonable or excessive use of the firearm. All wooden parts and all accessories are excluded from warranty coverage. This warranty does not cover any claims made by the second or subsequent owner of a Heckler & Koch Inc. firearm as stated above."

Further....

" Heckler & Koch Inc. firearms purchased by law enforcement, military, and security organizations for duty issue to their personnel are covered by a limited one-year warranty."

Though you may not fall into the category of military or LE, the use the pistol has been subjected to may yet cause them to treat it as such.

Based on what you've detailed in your posts above I wouldn't warranty the pistol were I in a position that had a say so.

About why it broke and how to avoid it, I'd say your theory that a dirty weapon has better longevity is now debunked. Maintain the weapon as described in the manual and replace your RSA on time vs 10k later. That would probably do you better.
    Last edited by hkshooterusp; 05-19-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    HALO51 likes this.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@ HKShooterusp:

Kind sir, I believe you are under the wrong impression that somehow I was expecting the HK to replace the barrel for free under warranty. Please read my posts as I made it very clearly that it would have been nice, but not expected from them(think like: if a stranger would give me a gift, that would be nice and I would gladly accept it, but I certainly do not expect it from him/her).
    More to it, since it is not my first purchase I am quite familiar with the fact that in Europe no producer gives true lifetime warranty(except for 1 that I know-and I believe they do it since they are new on the guns business and I believe they want a share of the market). So it would have been pretty biased to expect this from HK.

If anywhere in my posts is anything that would suggest otherwise please PM me and I will edit at once, as I do not want to leave this impression(I might be cheap but I am not a beggar).

Now, my manual does not propose a maintenance schedule(parts replacement schedule), this is why I searched the web and came across some suggestions that I was following. If any of you have a written HK maintenance schedule for the P30L please share it with me as I am very interested.

Regarding my theory:
    Opinions are personal and very diverse. I found mine to work for me(and my shooting schedule) better so far on different firearms. Since my HK(which again is my favorite-proven by the fact that I shot +30K rounds trough it in 2.5 years) is the only one that broke under this maintenance/shooting regimen, there is a probability that either my maintenance theory failed me or there is some other reason.
    For this reason I decided to attack the matter in a pincer maneuver(a bit of strategic thinking if you wish): revise the maintenance theory and also search for other possible reasons-this is the reason I opened this thread.
    Last edited by serghey24; 05-19-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Serghey24, I applaud you for being upfront with your issues and use. Yes, I suspect that the recoil spring/RSA lost tension over time/use (especially use), and the battering received by the lug was gradually increased; I don't know if the forces exerted in proportion to the spring wear were arithmatic or geometric, but the upshot was that battering resulting in breakage occurred.

I would recommend contacting HK Customer Support to determine the recommended RSA replacement interval-both generally and in discussion with your specific shooting and ammunition selections.

I would also send the gun (with the broken barrel) in for their examination, determination and replacement. That way, if there are any other components that are collaterally compromised, they can be concurrently repaired/replaced. My thought is that when you have a catastrophic breakage as you did, the entire gun needs to be comprehensively examined.

Best, Jon
    Boxed and zart312 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@ JonHK40:

1. The longer I contemplate this situation, them more I tend to agree that somehow the RSA was the culprit, maybe corroborated with a weak(er) batch of barrels that if the RSA was to be changed as scheduled would probably go unnoticed. After all I stretched(because of my ignorance) its intended life span by 50%. Not to mention that in Europe standard factory ammunition tend to be hotter than in USA.

2. I am in good contact with the local HK representative and weels are in motion for the purchase of a new barrel(first I need an authorization). Unfortunately me shipping the gun to Germany is out of the question as it implies some very complicated bureaucratic procedures, money and time. What I did I sent detailed pictures of the broken parts and the adjacent mating surfaces for reference to local dealer who in turn sent them to HK Germany. They concluded that only the barrel and the RSA need replacement.

Unfortunately an official(as in from HK Engineering dpt.) opinion on parts replacement intervals is somehow difficult to obtain. This is why I asked here.

I repeat, the barrel replacing procedure is clear to me and I accept it: get approvals, go to local dealer to order barrel, wait for it, get the barrel, register the new barrel at the authorities, put the new barrel and RSA in the gun.

My reasons for starting the tread:
    -find out recommended parts(mainly springs) replacement schedule
    -find out any ideas on why this happen(and so far I got a few very helpful answers to this), as I am very interested in avoiding simmilar incidents in the future
    Last edited by serghey24; 05-19-2019 at 04:42 PM.

PC7
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Based on the limited knowledge, and the inability to paw over the assemblies myself, I'd surmise that you had the spring fail before the lug broke. Losing that bit of spring tension will change the way the slide is controlled, causing extra force to be applied to that lug on the barrel.
    I tend to agree with this assessment.
    As others have said, RSA change at 20k.

Also, thanks for sharing this info. I don't feel you are bashing HK in any way, you are just sharing your experience.
    I appreciate your thread, as I find it interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What still makes me still wonder is that, as I said before, in my experience a broken return spring fails to put the slide fully into battery, especially on non sparkling weapons/chambers as a fouled gun will require a more determined push on the cartridge to force it up a fouled ramp, have the bullet scrape the upper part of the fouled chamber and then seat properly. But also my experience with such incidents is anecdotal(2 times happen to me, in both the slide failed to go into battery).
    Of course that my said experience is on different models of handguns.

But what you say certainly can be a logical explanation that can explain everything(the fracture spot, the moment of fracture, etc.). And Ocham's razor is still a valid ad solid principle.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Perhaps your broken one was riding the edge of strong enough complete the cycle, but now no longer strong enough to slow the slide down as intended.
    We'll really never know, short of someone with the tools and talent to do the analysis with the parts in question.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat... 2. Shoot guns... 3. Fire... 4. Gasoline... 5. Make juniors

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by serghey24 View Post
    @ HKShooterusp:

Kind sir, I believe you are under the wrong impression that somehow I was expecting the HK to replace the barrel for free under warranty.
    You are right, by the time I read through the entire thread all the warranty talk got ahead of your actual post content. My apologies.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

As much as you shoot it and as dirty as you keep it, I’d be changing that rsa at 10k rounds. Especially if it’s a carry weapon. If it’s a range beater then that’s a different issue,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

RSA in one of my VP9s has 21K flawless rounds, it's my primary range toy, I had planned to shoot until something broke...guess I'll be changing RSA if that can happen.
    VP9 - all 4 of them :-)
    VP9SK
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links