P30L barrel lug broken. - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: P30L barrel lug broken.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I think I almost care enough to check on the reality or fallacy of that. I always assumed the buffer was there to absorb the last bits of slide travel and to "buffer" the impact if it got that far. If you're correct that the compressed spring length is longer than the length of the buffer and it subsequently does nothing, then a weak or out of spec spring will allow a shock load to to be transmitted through the recoil assembly. I'll leave it to everyone else to finish the thought.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat... 2. Shoot guns... 3. Fire... 4. Gasoline... 5. Make juniors

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
    If anyone here has measured the compacted recoil spring length and the buffer length you would know the buffer does nothing whatsoever. The compacted recoil spring length is longer than the buffer which obviously means it will work the same with or without the buffer. I replace spring every 3K rounds on my HK's, none of which are 9mm's.
    That is somewhat disheartening to hear. If the buffer serves no purpose, I wonder what other internal component is a gimmick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    I think I almost care enough to check on the reality or fallacy of that. I always assumed the buffer was there to absorb the last bits of slide travel and to "buffer" the impact if it got that far. If you're correct that the compressed spring length is longer than the length of the buffer and it subsequently does nothing, then a weak or out of spec spring will allow a shock load to to be transmitted through the recoil assembly. I'll leave it to everyone else to finish the thought.
    It would be easy to check I would think. A film of grease or lipstick applied to each end of the buffer, then the gun assembled and cycled. Upon disassembly if what you applied is “squished”, then I would say it’s working.
    Kost likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

PC7
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
    If anyone here has measured the compacted recoil spring length and the buffer length you would know the buffer does nothing whatsoever. The compacted recoil spring length is longer than the buffer which obviously means it will work the same with or without the buffer. I replace spring every 3K rounds on my HK's, none of which are 9mm's.
    HK changed the design of RSA some years ago in the P30L. Which RSA are you referring to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Note: I eddied this as my initial post contained some eronated opinions of mine.

While outside the weapon, the buffer travel all the way to the end of RSA.
    While in weapon, it stops about 2-3mm before reaching the end of that travel as it hist a protrusion of the frame. Add to this the thickness of the retaining washer and I believe the length of buffer will clear by a small margin the length of the compressed spring

Not like in this picture:
    P30L barrel lug broken.-60873190_358614794791417_2862971237544493056_n.jpg

Like in this picture:
    P30L barrel lug broken.-60895259_383290408947706_4331446643678248960_n.jpg

The protrusion is inside the frame like a collar on the underside:
    P30L barrel lug broken.-60893683_677270536057530_4397472261091622912_n.jpg
    Last edited by serghey24; 05-21-2019 at 06:53 AM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

HK Engineers designed and implemented the nylon bushing for a purpose, to absorb load on the fire cycle, it's doing it's intended job even if you think it's not. =)

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

Hidden Content Hidden Content

4X4
    Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PC7 View Post
    HK changed the design of RSA some years ago in the P30L. Which RSA are you referring to?
    The same type in the post below your post I quoted.
    P2Ksk 40/357
    P2K 40/357/40T RCM tube
    P30 40
    P30L 40/357 RCM tube/40T RCM tube
    VP40/HK 40T tube

4X4
    Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I ASSumed the P30L was likely the same as the P2K and P30 despite using a different bumper. The P30L bumper does work as I just confirmed. The P2K and P30 system does not work. The compressed spring is a good 1/4" longer than nylon buffer at full compression.

bp1
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I could be missing something here, but after taking lots of measurements, I removed the barrel from a USP Compact 40 and the buffer is clearly pressed between the shoulder of the frame and the part of the slide that compresses the recoil spring, with the slide fully to the rear, looking into the ejection port.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links