VP Series - So Much To Love, Yet It Bears A Fatal Flaw...
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: VP Series - So Much To Love, Yet It Bears A Fatal Flaw...

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default VP Series - So Much To Love, Yet It Bears A Fatal Flaw...

So a while back I had a VP9, which upon receiving I fell in love with how it pointed upon presentation... but quickly realized it had a fatal flaw in the design. You see the trigger shoe is designed in such a way that the trigger safety tab can only be depressed by your finger placed on the lower 2/3 of the trigger face.

Inadvertent placement of finger on the top 1/3 of trigger (which happens to me EXTREMELY often upon presenting and indexing the trigger) results in complete failure to depress the trigger safety and fire weapon as intended. So, this caused me to sell the VP9... now fast forward a couple years and a poor memory later... ended up getting a sweet deal on VP40 couldn't resist.

I am instantly faced with the memory of deja vu, which I guess is a good reason to not buy without handling first... well I did ... just not recently. That being said, Lazy Wolf Guns has came out with a trigger shoe that looks to solve the problem... if you can part with $125 too make a brand new pistol function like, well, a brand new pistol should function.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Lazy...-410p17988.htm

That is just the part, not counting sending this pistol off to have it installed (probably at least another $100+) and waiting patiently for a HOPEFULLY useable pistol. Now, that being said... I will be calling HK-USA tomorrow to discuss this issue with them and see what can be done to remedy the situation.

I believe in giving a company the opportunity to make things right... that being said, I don't imagine this is something they can fix with a part or gunsmithing in house. I have had similar (albeit less pronounced and nowhere near as devastating to function, more of an annoyance than fatal flaw) with Glock 17's and Walther PPS M2, so perhaps nothing can be done by HK for certain reasons.

Now, I know I am not the only one here (and elsewhere online) that has run into this problem with the VP series.... https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...tch-issue.html

I write all of this as an enormous H&K fan... but am reminded of the simple fact that nobody is without faults.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm curious as to how difficult it is to install a trigger in the VP9 at home. I've done both apex trigger kits in my m&p shield and my full size m&p 2.0, super simple. I hear the vp9 is a bit more difficult but by how much?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

It will void the warranty to do it at home, I prefer not to mess with fine German engineering as I don't believe I have the required tools/skills to being the task and see it through properly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

PC7
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

This is nothing more than incorrect finger placement on the trigger. I don't know how you would expect HK to fix this.
    There is no "fatal flaw."

The good news for you is this is correctable with plenty of dry fire.
    ach2068, Warranty, PorterM and 6 others like this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PC7 View Post
    This is nothing more than incorrect finger placement on the trigger. I don't know how you would expect HK to fix this.
    There is no "fatal flaw."

The good news for you is this is correctable with plenty of dry fire.
    I wish that were true, but I don't believe this is true. The high tang grip forces my hand to grip quite high in relation to the trigger, which forces my narrow/short finger to ride the top of the trigger. Maybe it is not a fatal flat for you, but I could never trust a carry weapon that forces my finger to a part of the trigger that cannot actuate a trigger pull.

I guess 'fatal flaw' may be a point of contention, but for myself personally... if I get a dead trigger instead of a bang when I draw my gun it could in fact seal my fate. As always, YMMV In matters such as these.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If it's a training or familiarization problem, train.

If it's an ergonomic issue, judiciously determine if it can be rectified by using various combinations of the 3 backstraps and 6 side panels.

If neither approach works, go to another platform. Sometimes, you just don't index well with a firearm. Move on, then. But first determine who's the flaw in the ointment-you or the gun.

Best, Jon
    ach2068, GJM, ca survivor and 4 others like this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

You overlook the glaring omission of a hammer.. yeah the VP series leaves much to be desired...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Freak View Post
    You overlook the glaring omission of a hammer.. yeah the VP series leaves much to be desired...
    Yeah, there is that... you don't have this problem with hammer guns.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Hmm, I had to pull mine out to see what you're feeling. The only way I can replicate it is if I use my first pointer joint to squeeze versus the pad of my index, however I always shoot with the pad of my index so my finger naturally feels strange if I try to squeeze the top. I think you probably wrap more of your finger into the trigger than I do.

JONHK40 had a good suggestion with the grip panels. You want to start with the large backstrap and large right panel if you're right handed or just play with rearranging them .

Maybe this one just isn't for you.
    Last edited by HKaltwasser; 05-28-2019 at 10:35 PM.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I can't even get the joint on the trigger due to the reach being too far to allow for this, I am using the pad of the first finger.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links