P2000SK Questions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TooSixy

Thread: P2000SK Questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default P2000SK Questions

I bought a used P2KSK in 9mm. The plastic HK box was devoid of external stickers or whatever to identify V1/V2. I've never owned HK prior, so I can't go on the basis of experience/feel. Can one find out officially from HK what variant the gun shipped as? If one asks them, provides a serial number, they will respond?

Presumably, they would also indicate if the gun went out with factory night sights? The date code on the slide is from 2008; I have read Trujicon will re-lamp/replace the tritium vials for a reduced cost. Anyone know if Meprolight offers a similar deal?

Finally, the pistol came with a couple of spare springs, but I was thinking to buy an extractor. Is it wise to replace the roll pin and extractor spring at the same time, should the need arise? Does it require professional fitting, like some other pistols?

Thanks for any and all helpful replies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Congrats on your first HK and welcome to the forum.

Yes, HK should be able tell you what variant the pistol was when it left the factory. With an unloaded pistol, pulling the hammer back and slowly releasing pressure should answer the other question. If the hammer does not remain in the "cocked" position on its own, you likely have a V2 LEM. Also the smaller size of the hammer and the absence of a decocking button next to the hammer would also indicate a factory LEM.
    Type 2 control, cleared hot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Buffdriver View Post
    Congrats on your first HK and welcome to the forum.

Yes, HK should be able tell you what variant the pistol was when it left the factory. With an unloaded pistol, pulling the hammer back and slowly releasing pressure should answer the other question. If the hammer does not remain in the "cocked" position on its own, you likely have a V2 LEM. Also the smaller size of the hammer and the absence of a decocking button next to the hammer would also indicate a factory LEM.
    It is LEM, no decocker. But as for V1/V2, no idea. Are you saying that V1 is comparatively rare in comparison to V2? So, likely V2? The pull feels surprisingly light in comparison to my G23.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)

Remove the slide and look at the TRS. If it has square coils, you have a V2 LEM. V2 LEM is what HK ship to its distributors and some retailers choose to convert them to V1 LEM (Top Gun Supply is one of them, IIRC).
    HecklerUndKoch likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The coils are square. May I ask, how does one know when it is time to replace the recoil spring assembly?

What about the extractor replacement as asked in the OP?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)

When you have a weird, erratic ejection pattern. A RSA will probably last 50K rounds.

With regards to the other questions:

1. It's cheaper and easier to replace the sights with a new set. With the proper tool (sight pusher) you can knock the old ones out and put the new ones in under 5-10 mins. If you are not comfortable with changing the sights yourself, see my Sight Installation thread in the HK Handgun forum.

2. If the spent case isn't ejected properly (or at all), then you would look at replacing the extractor. Otherwise, keep shooting it. Replacing the extractor is just a matter of drifting out the roll-pin, take out old extractor, put in new extractor+spring and don't forget that little, white polymer piece, then reinstall the pin. No professional fittings are required.

3. What other springs came with the gun? Can you post a pic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got a new recoil spring assembly and a magazine spring with the pistol. Both are unused, so far as I know.

Regarding the sights, I’m not wedded to a particular brand, but I have Tru-Glo TFX Pro sights on my G23 and would prefer something similar (fiber optic tubes with tritium vials). My middle-aged eyes can use all the help they can get. Unfortunately, no TFX Pros are available for the P2000SK.

I had an extractor break on another pistol and it was surprising that availability was so limited and that a gunsmith needs to fit the replacement. Fool me once, and that kind of thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSixy View Post
    When you have a weird, erratic ejection pattern. A RSA will probably last 50K rounds.

With regards to the other questions:

1. It's cheaper and easier to replace the sights with a new set. With the proper tool (sight pusher) you can knock the old ones out and put the new ones in under 5-10 mins. If you are not comfortable with changing the sights yourself, see my Sight Installation thread in the HK Handgun forum.
    I searched using a variety of parameters but the only thread I found that seemed to be relevant was one where you were offering free sight installation to folks who sent you slides. Is that the one you're referring to?

According to HK customer service this gun shipped as V2 with the LE package, i.e., three magazines and factory night sights.

With your wide experience regarding sights, what would you choose were you in my shoes? I do like the combination of fiber optic pipes with tritium.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)

I never like fiber-optic sights. Stick with Trijicon HD if I were you. The Orange/Yellow front will help you during daytime but dots are still small at night, smaller than TruDots.

Sponsored Links