SA/DA or LEM P30L - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: SA/DA or LEM P30L

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chwebmaker View Post
    ... should I just play it safe and order the SA/DA or take a chance and order the LEM.
    Between drshame/post-10 and Dve/post-7 it’s described very well. But there is no substitute for hands-on, even if only LGS handling/dry-fire.
    Another question is what do you have other than HK DA/SA?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roshi View Post
    Can someone explain the LEM trigger to me?
    Take everything you know about DA-only and throw it away. Think of a two-stage trigger where the pull or take upon the first stage is very light. The LEM has a very long take up, basically like the length of a DA pull until you hit the wall.

It provides the benefits of a striker-fired gun: no safeties to mess with, and the same trigger pull for each and every shot. It also provides the benefits of a hammer-fired gun: a clean break and no mushy type triggers.

You just have to get used to the very long first stage, which I found it to be quite nice from the start. The reset is a bit longer than DA/SA pistols, but I don't find it to be a burden.
    WolfieRules likes this.
    Own: HK91, SR9, SP5k, G36k, HK416, P30L, 2x P8, 2x P8A1, USP9
    Future: Done, until HK comes out with something new & nifty. Might start building an FNH collection.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    Take everything you know about DA-only and throw it away. Think of a two-stage trigger where the pull or take upon the first stage is very light. The LEM has a very long take up, basically like the length of a DA pull until you hit the wall.

It provides the benefits of a striker-fired gun: no safeties to mess with, and the same trigger pull for each and every shot. It also provides the benefits of a hammer-fired gun: a clean break and no mushy type triggers.

You just have to get used to the very long first stage, which I found it to be quite nice from the start. The reset is a bit longer than DA/SA pistols, but I don't find it to be a burden.
    Looks like mostly an LEM camp here. I went through this when I was shopping for a P2000SK, and opted for V3 (DA/SA) primarily because of LEM's longer reset. Also, I acknowledge that a consistent trigger pull every time is ideal, but for everyday carry, the DA pull is a major safety feature for me. Once it's on SA, trigger pull cannot be beat. I couldn't get used to the LEM, but perhaps I was too stubborn to learn a new system - I own primarily hammer fired handguns and only 2 strikers (one walther, one glock).

Edit: That's a lie, I also have a P7M8. Totally forgot to count that one and I just posted about it.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

LEM basically works like a Striker, my 45C LEM is nearly no resistance up to the wall. Downside, no decocker and as some said, and I did for my son's first CCW, DA pull is non-existent.

For first carry gun, went P30SK V3 (no safety to eff with), like the heavy first DA pull, just in case.
    VP9 - all 4 of them :-)
    VP9SK
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made
    P30 v3

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WolfieRules View Post
    LEM basically works like a Striker, my 45C LEM is nearly no resistance up to the wall. Downside, no decocker and as some said, and I did for my son's first CCW, DA pull is non-existent.

For first carry gun, went P30SK V3 (no safety to eff with), like the heavy first DA pull, just in case.
    The lack of a decocker is also an advantage (as it is with striker fired guns) - you can holster without needing to remember to decock.

It is safer, and the long "DA" pull on the LEM provides many of the benefits of a regular DA (i.e. you know you're pulling it) - but does so in an easy to control and fire way.

+1 for LEM. Period.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I am a personal user and proponent for LEM, but with caveats. First, what is your use venue? For duty and self-defense, LEM can be superb, as it gives you a long, but light consistant triggerpull and self decocking. For pure competition, DA/SA or SA is simply going to be faster, particularly in the times between repeated shots.

That doesn't mean that LEM is cripplingly slow, or unusable in competition. But for most it will be comparatively slower, and mastering the somewhat unique LEM triggerpull characteristics will take some concerted time and effort, and possible further spring-tuning to maximize your individual needs/potential with it.

I particularly like my P30L V1.5, and use it for duty, IDPA and home defense. I've qualified with it on both LEO and IDPA qualifiers/classifiers. But I'm quantifiably faster, and at least equally accurate with my VP40, as seen in both IDPA performance and LEO and IDPA qualifiers/classifiers.

My P30L is more likely to be used for duty, my VP40 more likely to be used for IDPA (or if we're hiking, and I see a possible need to pass a gun to my wife that she can use as naturally and instinctively as possible).

Best, Jon

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

FWIW, I have introduced three new shooters to handguns with LEM, striker, and DA/SA designs -- and they all preferred the LEM.

Less stuff going on - no safeties / decockers to deal with. And when they pull that long trigger back and hit the wall, they know instinctively that something is about to happen.

In contrast to mushy striker fired, and DA/SA designs which can be confusing (new shooters are terrible about minding the cocked hammer of a DA/SA if ending firing mid-way through a magazine) -- the LEM works with them, rather than against them.

I intend to hunt down other LEM variants in the future; a p30sk and a USP for sure. I didn't find it difficult, at all, to make the switch from DA/SA -- and I have since sold my striker pistols after getting the LEM trigger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I Just picked up my P30L I have had on order since December 2018 today. It came in this morning. I ordered a V1 LEM with the night sights and 3 mags. The V3 with night sights came in instead. For what it is work the guy at the gun shop told me his supplier he deals with said no V1s were coming in any time soon so they sent a V3. He showed me his request and it was correct but alas I now have a V3 when I was looking for a V1.

Honestly I do not know what to do yet. I might just keep this one as it will just be a range toy. My every day carry is a p30sk V1. I just wanted the same trigger on both.
    Hunting for a P30L V1 LEM LE!
    H&K Guns I own:

HK P30L V3 LE 9mm
    HK P30sk V1 LE 9mm

igs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    FWIW, I have introduced three new shooters to handguns with LEM, striker, and DA/SA designs -- and they all preferred the LEM.

Less stuff going on - no safeties / decockers to deal with. And when they pull that long trigger back and hit the wall, they know instinctively that something is about to happen.

In contrast to mushy striker fired, and DA/SA designs which can be confusing (new shooters are terrible about minding the cocked hammer of a DA/SA if ending firing mid-way through a magazine) -- the LEM works with them, rather than against them.
    Yup, LEM is a dumbed down system great for beginners that will quickly outgrow it, or lowest common denominator idiot proof "law enforcement".

For a competition gun the long pull every shot makes it terrible.

For a defense gun the light pull and no safety make it terrible.

It's the worst of both worlds. Period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Light pull no safety like every striker fired gun.... Apparently 99% of the world carries Glock 19s concealed since that is what everyone compares a new pistol to. You only get one option. At least with the HK's LEM it can be heavy or light. If you convert a V3 you can leave the sear and keep the decocker and carry it DA if the need ever arose I suppose. I carry a USP and P30sk converted. I appreciate that I can thumb the hammer to holster. The reset and SA pull after firing is no different than the V3. It's not for everybody but I see best of both worlds.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links