SA/DA or LEM P30L - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: SA/DA or LEM P30L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lots of good information from everyone. I'm still not sure what to do so I'm getting one of each. I found a P30L V3 locally. Will pick it up on the weekend. Switched my order with dealer to a P30L V1 LEM. Even though he has them on order, there is no ETA on arrival. I also found a HK 45 V1 locally that has been converted to LEM by the owner. Any reservations about buying a second hand conversion?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chwebmaker View Post
    Lots of good information from everyone. I'm still not sure what to do so I'm getting one of each. I found a P30L V3 locally. Will pick it up on the weekend. Switched my order with dealer to a P30L V1 LEM. Even though he has them on order, there is no ETA on arrival. I also found a HK 45 V1 locally that has been converted to LEM by the owner. Any reservations about buying a second hand conversion?
    We are in a similar situation. I just bought a P30L V3 from a backorder back in December, I just got it 6/26/19. I ordered a P30L V1 LEM but a V3 is what was delivered. I ended up buying it instead of turning it down. My carry gun is a P30sk V1 LEM and I have a lot of practice on it and didn't want to have issues concerning training. The more I think about it, I still shoot my Glocks and Sigs on occasion. Once I get to the range with the P30L V3 I will make the final decision, but if my P30L is going to just be used at the range I will probably hold onto it.
    Hunting for a P30L V1 LEM LE!
    H&K Guns I own:

HK P30L V3 LE 9mm
    HK P30sk V1 LE 9mm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have owned both DA/SA and LEM, so I'll try my best to explain the difference as it feels to me.

I would say the light LEM I have (HK45 Compact Tactical V7) is essentially a pre-cocked double action. The hammer feels like it's not down and resisting your pull. I mean, it IS down, but it doesn't FEEL like it's down. It takes very little effort at all to pull through the take up and make the hammer come back. Then you pull the break and the gun fires. If you're holding the trigger down, the hammer stays back after the slide cycles. From here you have a very short reset. As you move your trigger finger out to the reset, the hammer will move maybe an eighth of an inch, but it won't drop all the way. You then have a trigger reset and pull much like a single action. The moment you let your trigger finger all the way out, the hammer comes all the way down and you pull through that very light, precocked hammer feeling I mentioned in the beginning.

So, just imagine a DA/SA, but with very, very little resistance to speak of on your DA pull until the break. Then you can choose to let the trigger all the way forward for another DA pull or ride the reset. And unlike a DA/SA, the hammer stays down unless you're holding the trigger back, even after firing.

My choice is the LEM trigger. I find it to be a perfect carry system for my tastes. I believe you can get the V7 with or without the safety lever. Mine does not have the safety. I much prefer it over DA/SA.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Get the lem you will never look back. And before you dry fire rack the slide, v1 is best, I liked my p2000 light lem so much I got a usp to do the lem conversion on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by igs View Post
    Yup, LEM is a dumbed down system great for beginners that will quickly outgrow it, or lowest common denominator idiot proof "law enforcement".

For a competition gun the long pull every shot makes it terrible.

For a defense gun the light pull and no safety make it terrible.

It's the worst of both worlds. Period.
    Totally agree, I have P30L and P30 also VP9 and VP40 and an HK45, I hate the LEM trigger, but opinions are individual...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Update - I picked up a new P30L V3 yesterday. Went to the range today and put 200 rounds through it. Nice shooter. Recoil was light. Trigger is good, SA trigger is around 6 lbs. Groupings were excellent. When I can find one, I will pickup the LEM version. Looking forward to shooting the LEM to see how it performs vs the SA/DA.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yup, LEM is a dumbed down system great for beginners that will quickly outgrow it, or lowest common denominator idiot proof "law enforcement".

So much fail in that post it’s laughable.

Troll?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's consistent from the first shot to the last, it has the same reset point as SA on DA/SA variants, and it has a stronger mainspring, as if Hk's had problems with light primer strikes. In my opinion the LEM is what makes the Hk pistols so attractive. There are DA/SA guns that almost feel as good in the hand but by the time you get the DA pull below 10 lb's reliability typically comes into question without extended firing pins and other little mods. I don't mind SAO controls on a 1911 but a 1911 will never be as inherently reliable as a modern design. Striker fired is fine but for AIWB carry I like a hammer that can be held down for reholstering. So in conclusion the safety of DA/SA, the speed of SAO, and the ease of use of striker fired.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I concur with many of the comments about LEM here. I can’t personally speak for the P30 platform, but the LEM on my USP’s is amazing. In some ways I prefer it to the match trigger on one of my USP’s.
    It has a very light take up and a very solid break point; you know exactly at which point the gun will fire.
    Some people aren’t a fan of the LEM however, so if possible call your local gun stores and see if they have one in stock so that you can go play around with it. At the end of the day, you can’t go wrong with either decision.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chwebmaker View Post
    Any reservations about buying a second hand conversion?
    I'd look it over, check functionality, and then field strip the gun. If everything looks normal, I'd go for it. If it looks like someone went at it with a vice-grip and a ball-pein hammer, then I'd pass.

You and I approached HK from opposite directions. My first couple were LEM. Then I got curious and bagged a DA/SA, thinking it would be like that other highly regarded DA/SA manufacturer. But the HK wasn't all that I had hoped for, so I turned it LEM. Now it's sweet like candy.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links