HK4, broken frame slide rails
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SudS

Thread: HK4, broken frame slide rails

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK4, broken frame slide rails

Just bought a used HK4 a few months ago and finally got around to shooting it at the range the other day. The weapon checked out as fully functional by the gunsmith I had check it out. When I shot it I only got 4 rounds thru it when the slide stuck in the open position after ejecting the last fired shell. Very difficult to get the slide forward. But when I dissembled the pistol a pile of broken off rear frame rail (from both sides of frame) from the receiver fell out in a pile ! I had heard about cracked rails on these pistols but not crumbling slide rails.

Anyways I assume I'm out of luck as pistol is unrepairable and certainly not safe to shoot anymore. Initially I figured I just have a wall hangar and it's not worth the effort to contact HK, as I've heard their customer service really sucks and this pistol has been out of production for a generation if not more. After a quick search on this forum I've found a few posts that verify this. My question is whether it would be worth while to sell the gun as a whole "non functioning" firearm or part it out? I have no idea whether there's a market for parts on these pistols so would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks !

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could you put up a picture or two of the pistol. I may be interested in some of the parts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HK4, broken frame slide rails-img_0231.jpg
    Not sure if this is the way to attach a pic or insert one, but here goes.... Pistol is, or was, in nice condition.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Sorry about your pistol. I always wondered if the frames were repairable. But I don't think you can weld cast aluminum alloy. I'm sure the parts are worth something. Bad buffers/ backing plates and 380 killed alot of these.

I would not fault HK for not being able to help you on a pistol not produced since 1984. Im sure the notice they sent out to dealers relaying that they were no longer servicing the HK4 went out in the 90's.

In my experience HK USA customer service has been top notch.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Location : Sometimes where the gun laws suck, sometimes where they don't.
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

This gun is most likely from the 70's. HK quit servicing these guns many many years ago. Since the frame is the most desired used part, this would be best framed and hung on a wall. It would fetch some money as a parts gun just not that much. These guns fail often when shooting .380

Good luck with your decision

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

The HK4 is one of two guns that HK use to try and not return to customers if they were sent back for servicing. It was a poor design. That gun is not a shooter. On top of that, this gun has been discontinued for what? 35 years? Not many gun firms support a completely discontinued platform after that length of time. Display the thing on a stand, it’s a bit of swag now.
    Last edited by SudS; 07-08-2019 at 03:42 PM.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)

Sorry to hear about the incident!!!
    You could always make a Flava Flav necklace:

HK4, broken frame slide rails-source.gif

Tony

PROUD ASA MEMBER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    He HK4 is one of two guns that HK use to try and not return to customers if they were sent back for servicing. It was a poor design. That gun is not a shooter. On top of that, this gun has been discontinued for what? 35 years? Not many gun firms support a completely discontinued platform after that length of time. Display the thing on a stand, it’s a bit of swag now.
    Out of my curiosity, what gun did HK try to replace these pistols with when they came in for service?
    HK addict in constant search for a cure.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HKSIGslinger View Post
    Out of my curiosity, what gun did HK try to replace these pistols with when they came in for service?
    I don’t know if they even offered a substitute, credit, or a free hat and T-shirt. These guns were considered dangerous and a liability. I believe some former HK employees at the time have written here on Pro, HK would try very hard not to return those guns to customers out of concern for safety and liability. After 35 years, that ship sailed many years ago.
    HKSIGslinger likes this.

Sponsored Links