HKPRO Forums banner

P30SV3 shoots low

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  HALO51 
#1 ·
I purchased this p30 at a local shop that is now out of business. First time i fired it, i was 6" low at 10 yards. I chalked it up to trigger control and sigh picture.

Now I've had 2 buddies try it out and they also are shooting 6" low. So I got the idea to slap in a laser bore sighter and mark off approximately 10 yards at home. Low and behold the laser dot is 6" low at 10 yards.

I made a call to HK to get a RA number assigned and the CS agent mentioned that with all his years working at HK, he has never seen anything like what I am claiming pass QA in the factory. He also reminded me that there would be a service charge if they don't find an issue.

Looking at the muzzle end, there is a gap above the barrel/slide hole protrusion and no gap whatsoever below the barrel. Can anyone confirm if this is typical, or is my barrel alignment completely bottomed out?

Is there anying I could check before sending the pistol back to HK.

Thanks in advance,
Jacob

See less See more
#4 ·
Same thing happened to me with my first VP9. I was consistently an inch or so low. I had someone else try, and he was a little low as well. Long story short, I ended up getting a new shorter front sight (one step shorter) which resolved everything.

I have a USP, P30, and a Mark23, and I never had that happen.

#5 ·
I'll upload a picture tonight. Im doing a direct hold with the 3 sight dots in a pyramid shape in order to match poi to poa. I definitely dont want to continue shooting this way. I just want to be 100% sure before this goes in the mail.

I could put adjustable sights on to compensate, but i'm guessing that having the barrel pointing down 1 degree off axis increases muzzle flip.

#7 ·
Now I've had 2 buddies try it out and they also are shooting 6" low. So Looking at the muzzle end, there is a gap above the barrel/slide hole protrusion and no gap whatsoever below the barrel. Can anyone confirm if this is typical, or is my barrel alignment completely bottomed out?
Completely normal. All of my HKs are exactly like this. This is how the barrels lock up.

#10 ·
Hi Jacob, welcome to the site, and welcome to the Hk family!
What your describing sounds exactly like one of us who isn't familiar with European sighting.
With euro sighting, the done line the dots up below the target like we do. They sight higher, covering the target with the dots.
Raise your sight picture accordingly, and I promise you will be a lot closer to the center of the target. Also, the sight these in at 50 yards. So take that in consideration with your sight picture as well.
I doubt that in this case, Hk cs will find fault with the pistol as this is how they set the sights up.
If you can rent or borrow a recent sig sauer, or anything from fabrique National. Using the American sighting will achieve almost exact same results as both of those manufacturers use the same sighting system.
Hope this helps! As me tioned above, you can add different sights to put your sight picture/poa more akin to what you're used to.

Reactions: WolfieRules
#13 ·
I have a few sigs and tanfoglios, but they all happen to have adjustable sights, and without even thinking about it I have them all set the for a center-mass/poa hold.

Oddly enough i see something called a "triad hold" which matches exactly the sight picture in my photo. The "triad hold" allowed me to sight center-mass with this cover hold sight.

I should give it one more try at the range. I should consider new sights over burdening my brain to remember which sight picture goes with which gun. Im sure in a high stress situation you could end up reverting to the wrong sight picture.

#14 ·
Don't know what grain you're shooting, an easily often overlooked shooting at that distance is bullet drop? 124 gr will drop around 0.24" 115 & 147 will also deviate. Combine that with height over bore compensation, as well as drive the dot hold you should be right on. knowing your holds with particular grain ammo really helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.