VP9 auto forward
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: VP9 auto forward

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default VP9 auto forward

When my VP9 was a new, loading a full magazine would usually release the slide.
    After the first couple months (1K rounds?), it would auto-forward only when slamming the magazine in.

What causes the auto-forward? How do I get it back? Is some dirty component stopping it?

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Maybe clean and lube the slide lock lever at the axle and it's interface...

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rcairflyer View Post
    ... it would auto-forward only when slamming the magazine in.
    ... which is not unusual in any auto.
    Your HK is operating normally (now). Inertia force actuates the slide lever which releases the slide.
    It’s in the RTFM.
    HK12Step likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

"auto-forward" is common in all handguns, but more prevalent in polymer frame guns. as stated above, inertia often induces "auto-forward." However, this is not how the gun is designed to work, and is not something you should train, or count on. I can't begin to count the number of times I've watched shooters think their handgun has "auto-forwarded" when it did not, losing time on their re-load; they usually take a second or two to realize why the gun won't go BANG; if this was a defensive situation that could be the last 2 seconds of your life and your gun is not in battery.

I constantly hear people say their gun "ALWAYS" auto-forwards, only to later see those same people struggling with their reload because they've trained themselves to rely on what is essentially an inertia induced malfunction. Always train to reload as the gun was designed: MAG OUT, new MAG IN, slide release lever/or rack slide, then back on target and trigger. If you get an "auto-forward", ok get back on target/trigger, but DON'T RELY ON AUTO-FORWARD, Mr. Murphy will catch you with your shorts down at a time it really counts.....

Also, there is no good reason to slam magazines into your gun, there are a variety of things that can result from slamming magazines in, "auto-forwarding" being the least of these things. Basically, there is no good reason to beat the hell out of your gun.
    HK91
    HK94
    USC/UMP
    SL8/G36
    P7M8
    P9s .45acp
    VP70Z
    USP Tactical .45acp
    V51/HK51 clone
    HK45
    HK45c
    HK 416 10.5" upper
    GSG5PK
    P30Ls
    HK45T (OD Green)
    VP9
    CR556A1
    P30SKs
    SP5K

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In red, no less:

WARNING: Forcefully inserting a loaded magazine into many pistols may cause the
    pistol’s slide to close, chambering a cartridge and making the pistol ready to fire.
    When inserting a magazine, always be sure the VP pistol is pointed in a safe direction
    with your fingers off the trigger and outside the trigger guard. Failure to do so could
    cause you to unintentionally fire the pistol, resulting in serious injury or death

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was a mechanical feature...
    The slide would have to be driven backward to allow the slide catch to drop. So a bump to the front of the magazine would probably do it more effectively than an even force.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Interesting thread. I’ve actually never experienced an “auto-into battery” action from simply inserting a mag. No matter how forceful I’ve inserted the magazine. Multiple makes and models firearms. Now I’m curious who all has experienced this. Never knew any model/make would do this if operating properly. I tend to use the slide lock as a release on all my pistols. Prefer this over the slingshoting of the slide. I know that is the proper way to do it. Just to me so much faster to hit the lock/“release” lever. Interesting!! I never slam a mag in that hard anyway I guess. I meaningfully do it, but not over aggressively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, thanks. This is my first pistol. When I was shopping and first handled the VP9, auto forward was explained like a feature. I'll make it happen again a couple times, just so I know what not to do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My P30LS V3 has done this a couple of times. I thought it was pretty cool until a State Trooper mentioned not to rely on it, as it sometimes will not go into battery (as mentioned above).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rcairflyer View Post
    Wow, thanks. This is my first pistol. When I was shopping and first handled the VP9, auto forward was explained like a feature. I'll make it happen again a couple times, just so I know what not to do.
    Never listen to any gun shop commando..Especially one who thinks auto forwarding is a "feature" they don't know what their talking about. A few years back I took a training class and at one point we were doing reload drills, with two rounds in each mag, shoot until the gun was empty, reload, shoot until empty again..simple enough.. They way I was taught, when reloading the pistol, using your left hand, and holding the pistol up high enough to get in your "work space" insert the mag into the gun, (note:it's not nessessary to slam the mag in as hard as you can) and when the mag is seated, use your left thumb to pull the slide release down, and bring the pistol up and start firing.. The guy next to me was using a P-30, and was a auto forwarding advocate..I had just completed the drill and turned to see him slam the mag in so hard he almost knocked the pistol out of his hand, It did'nt auto forward..Suprised, he brought his left hand down and back, and hit the pistol hard, again, it did'nt auto forward.. He did it again, same results..by this time the instructor called a stop to the drill, and went over and asked him what he was doing..And, proceeded to use this as an example of what NOT to do.. Gamers like to use atuo forwarding, and that's fine in a game where if it dosen't work, all it's going to cost you is a few seconds on your score..In real life, out on the street, depending on a gamer trick to work when you really need it to, is really foolish..
    LCSO264 likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The gun shop clerk said it was a "feature"? That's not good. Like a guy above said, it's merely an inertia effect due to how semi-auto pistol designed. If it happens, it happens. Auto-forward doesn't need to be treated like a disease or a malfunction. However, for M&P case, it was happening way too often, S&W had to do little touch up with current production. (So I heard from a source)

Some one also said auto-forward may not chamber a round but I don't think that's all correct. For a magazine that's been loaded up full or almost full will most definitely likely get a round stripped and chambered, but a magazine loaded with few round may have chance of having a round not get stripped to chamber.

Anyhow, I, too, don't think it's a reloading method I should rely on. If it happens, it happens. Otherwise, stick with regular routine.
    Last edited by gpark09; 07-19-2019 at 12:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links