.45 super in Expert
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: .45 super in Expert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default .45 super in Expert

So, I was contemplating on investing in a pistol for handgun hunting (boar specifically). I’m a 9mm, and .45 guy, and I wasn’t too keen on adding another caliber to the stable, but had settled on 10mm as my handgun hunting caliber of choice (just not a revolver guy), until I started reading about .45 super. I had always wanted a USP Expert, so that made my decision that much easier. With it’s tall front blade and adjustable rear sight, it seemingly comes ready out of the box. What made it easier still is that based on what I’m reading, you can shoot .45 super out of the .45 USP’s without any mods. That said, I want to add an extra “layer” of protection to my Expert and use a heavier recoil spring in it whenever I use 45 super. Question is, how heavy do I go? 16 lb, 18 lb?

Feedback appreciated.

4X4
    Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Not sure what is stock but a good idea to up the RSA weight.
    P2Ksk 40/357
    P2K 40/357/40T RCM tube
    P30 40
    P30L 40/357 RCM tube/40T RCM tube
    VP40/HK 40T tube

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

You won't need to change the RSA to shoot a limited number of 45 Super in the Expert.
    It's not recommended to shoot a steady diet of it tho, since it accelerates wear and tear on the pistol.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
    Not sure what is stock but a good idea to up the RSA weight.
    According to the user manual, the gun is rated for +P+ with the stock set-up, which is 14 lb. I'm thinking of getting a spare RSA and outfitting it with a 16 lb spring. That will be the one I use when using the pistol as a hunting or woods gun loaded with supers.
    4X4 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kost View Post
    You won't need to change the RSA to shoot a limited number of 45 Super in the Expert.
    It's not recommended to shoot a steady diet of it tho, since it accelerates wear and tear on the pistol.

I know I will be fine with limited rounds, but I just prefer to have a little extra protection is all. Can't wait to take some pigs with the thing. Next is what ammo? Debating between Underwood Xtreme Penetrator 200gr, and their 255gr hard cast Hi-Tek coated rounds. Leaning toward the all copper XP's for pig.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

GJM on Pistol-Forum did a very long & informative thread (USP 45/ Field Pistol) on .45 Super in HK USP. Best info on this subject.

2002 American Handgunner Tactical Annual, article on USP & MK23, 6000 rounds of .45 Super were fired through a stock HK USP 45 with on visible effect.
    4X4, SOLgardener, zart312 and 2 others like this.

4X4
    Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've taken hogs with a 260 GD @ 1,000 FPS from my 5.5" M&P 45 with a 24# spring. Many other cartridges as well with pistols, mostly 10mm and 40. I'd go for a 20# spring in the USP. I have my P30L set up with a 20# RSA, blue hammer spring for hot 357 and 40. Cycles perfectly.
    mew likes this.

mew
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I used a 16# recoil spring in my USP tactical, ran like a top. but I would invest in a new recoil rod and put the spring you want on it for 45 super
    so it's an easy switch rather than screwing it on and off every time. A small zip tie is your friend when removing the spring from the rod.
    https://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto...D26/dID136#165
    Kost, GuntherRommel and Gears like this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mew View Post
    I used a 16# recoil spring in my USP tactical, ran like a top. but I would invest in a new recoil rod and put the spring you want on it for 45 super
    so it's an easy switch rather than screwing it on and off every time. A small zip tie is your friend when removing the spring from the rod.
    Makes good sense to me! Expert shooting 45 Super has to be great fun! =)

mew likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mew View Post
    Agreed, exactly what I was planning to do.
    mew likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links