New HK P30S
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New HK P30S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New HK P30S

Finally bought a NIB P30S and really love it! It's an awesome looking quality pistol that fits my hand perfectly. I'll be carrying it chamber loaded, de-cocked and safety on. Basically it will be similar to carrying a 1911 cocked and locked but with a long first shot trigger pull. So here's a question for you guys: Is there a slim/trim looking rail cover available to cover the saw-tooth looking rail? Since I'm not a flashlight guy, it serves no purpose. Anyone else here carrying a P30S?

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Heyas Kashi!
    Congrats on the new purchase! Great gun that you've found!
    As for the rail, literally any Pic rail cover would work, tho u may need to trim for length. In which case, trim the side facing the trigger guard 😉
    Be aware tho that doing so may make the pistol not fit some holsters with it mounted on the pistol.
    As for carrying, safety on... That's all personal choice. Myself, I did for a year or so, the just went safety off, full time. It's ok when ur getting used to having a gun on, and learning to safely handle the gun.
    But I'll be 100% honest, no matter how much ya train to tab that safety... I've had to draw and fire, and I'll be the first to say that if that happens, keep it as absolutely as simple as possible 😉
    Again, I'm not trying to tell you how you should carry, or what's right or wrong for you. But at least practice a bit, safety off. Just in case. 😉

Ps- Eh. The rail. Tbh I'm still fighting the urge to just dremel mine off!
    Last edited by DarkeWolf; 07-25-2019 at 06:49 AM.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I've never thought to cover up the picatinny rail - I don't see how it could bother someone in the least or get in the way, and if you put a rail cover on it will probably interfere with holsters. I guess you could probably use any rubberized picatinny rail covers, but honestly I would highly recommend against that. These days, with the availability of small lights like the Surefire XC1-B, there aren't a whole lot of reasons not to carry a light on a pistol. But definitely don't dremel it off - yikes!!

I used to carry like you described, decocked and safety on. I think that's a great way to leave a gun on the nightstand, or if you're dropping it in a backpack or something. For carry and training, I switched over to cocked-and-locked a few years ago and never looked back - I always, always hit the safety when coming off target, I don't have to think about it (and I don't train with guns that lack a manual safety - this is important), and I don't have to bother with training for the first double action shot and transition to single action, which can easily take up a third or more of your training if you carry a DA/SA pistol. Another alternative is to do as DarkeWolf mentioned and carry it decocked and safety off.

Enjoy the pistol - you've made a great choice! I'd recommend a few of the HK factory 20-round mags for the range :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)

Congratulations on the acquisition!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First of all Congrats on your new P30S. Great gun.

Please don't do anything to your rail. Blasphemy! Seeing that most bad things at home will happen at night, not having a light on your pistol is not helping the situation at all. Even if you don't want to carry the light with you as an edc and take it off when not at home, having one on for the nightstand is a win. Get na easily removeable model with a quick change lever like an Olight PL-2 or PL-MINI 2, take it on and off in a couple seconds.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Neither do I use WML’s.
    I have a P30S (and non-rail 1911’s) and the rail is negligible - in a holster. A rail cover adds mass, a moot point since you’ll have to get a WML holster.
    Last edited by GasGuzz; 07-25-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I haven't experienced any snags or issues with the Picatinnny rail lugs on my P30L; on my VP40, I'm not thrilled at how the forward lug protrudes forward of the muzzle plane on the frame, providing a potential stumbling block when re-holstering. Accordingly, I specify that most of my VP holsters have polished, rounded mouth edges and a full sweat shield, which serves a a guiding skid for the VP when holstering.

Best, Jon

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TLOU_Joel View Post
    But definitely don't dremel it off - yikes!!

Enjoy the pistol - you've made a great choice! I'd recommend a few of the HK factory 20-round mags for the range :)
    Hahaha right! Hence the reason I'm still fighting that urge *laugh*

Yes, factory 20 round mags (if you live in a state that allows it). Is definitely good advice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A rail ladder(Magpul,ergo, cut to length) if you must cover it.
    It’s not overly bulky. I put them on unused rail space on my rifles and such.

Banned

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Anything can be carried, with the right motivation .

That said I chose the P2000 over the P30 because I thought the P2000 would be easier to carry as it has smaller dimensions. Not only that, but it is important to note the grip texture on a P30. While it feels great at the range, wear it against your skin for a day and then talk to me . Many people find they need to wear a light shirt underneath their main shirt. Whether or not that is practical for you, assuming you're still in Georgia, can only be decided by you. A holster that holds it somewhat away from the body would also work.

I think the P30 is a great gun. But I'm a heretic because I don't think it's great at everything

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links