New to HK ownership
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ar2088

Thread: New to HK ownership

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default New to HK ownership

Been a longterm CZ and SIG guy, and finally saw the Grey P30S online enough and bought one. Fired a P30 beside my P07 once and thought it might work. So here I am. Passed up a 30L used last month and maybe I should have bought it. trigger was not bad - pretty smooth and no stacking. This new P30s stacks at the rear, and as far as I can tell, its a function of the HEAVY FPB spring - true? DA is longer and heavier than a P07 and especially tuned one. I know people run reduced power hammer springs, but anyone make a reduced power firing pin spring so you still get great ignition with a lighter hammer spring? The GG kit has a reduced power FPB spring and wow - I get it.

(Of course love the grip, paddle release, decent sights, nice controls, etc. Have the P99, so paddles are max, and a hammer gun to boot. I like the balance of the standard P30. Got the safety because if I EVER want to co CL its there. Got the gray cuz it looks German).

Saw a video from a guy at 3000 rounds and said it did not smooth out - thats not good. Is that the norm? Anyway they are great guns now at great prices, so I bit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Iíve also used CZ and Sig for many years but now switched to HK. CZ is manual safety and Sig is DA/SA, but HK gives you both with many options. I actually tried Glock before I switched to HK for the light weight of polymer but found that I like hammer much better than striker, and I do want either manual safety or DA//SA. Then I realized HK gives me everything Iíve been looking for, light weight polymer frame, options for manual safety or DA/SA or both (or none), and hammer fire. I donít think Iíll switch to anything else.
    gsyoung54 likes this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Not getting rid of the CZs or SIGs anytime soon. Triggers are just too good. (But I will say that CZ P07/09s can come with awful triggers OTB, but can be worked on well).

I CANNOT believe they put this heavy of a FPB spring in the slide. REALLY dumb. I'll swap it out soonest.

A reduced FP spring is needed too - listening GG?

I think the safety CAn be useful in keeping my firing thumb away from the slide, but it does interfere getting to the slide release. However, my CZ manual of arms forces me to use my support hand to drop the slide, so this is Ok. Slide serrations, mag cutout, decocker all well thought out. I like longer paddles like the P99, but paddles are just better anyway. The luminous sights are the brightest I've seen - not bad for daylight.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)

Welcome to the site, and congratulations on your first, HK sidearm!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to this site Brian!! Cool that you finally pulled the trigger on the HK. I saw your post on another forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to the forum. I also had CZs for a while, but switched to HK and haven't looked back. My P10C just didn't have the fit and finish I expected. Guide rod kept coming loose, even after cleaning and adding Loctite to the threads. I would still like to add a P01 Omega Convertible to the collection one day, but it's hard to beat HK ergonomics and build quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight3124 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I also had CZs for a while, but switched to HK and haven't looked back. My P10C just didn't have the fit and finish I expected. Guide rod kept coming loose, even after cleaning and adding Loctite to the threads. I would still like to add a P01 Omega Convertible to the collection one day, but it's hard to beat HK ergonomics and build quality.
    You're absolutely right about HK Quality. I started off with a Steyr M40 and was disappointed with having to modify a few things to get it to where it needed to be. You shouldn't have to do that with a brand new pistol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I have a P30L DA/SA and a P30L Light LEM trigger. Both have their own unique qualities. I think the DA/SA has a smooth DA pull then excellent resets and follow up shots. The Light Lem has a light consistent trigger pull on each shot and is a hammer fire, not a striker fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Hkbrian View Post
    Been a longterm CZ and SIG guy, and finally saw the Grey P30S online enough and bought one. Fired a P30 beside my P07 once and thought it might work. So here I am. Passed up a 30L used last month and maybe I should have bought it. trigger was not bad - pretty smooth and no stacking. This new P30s stacks at the rear, and as far as I can tell, its a function of the HEAVY FPB spring - true? DA is longer and heavier than a P07 and especially tuned one. I know people run reduced power hammer springs, but anyone make a reduced power firing pin spring so you still get great ignition with a lighter hammer spring? The GG kit has a reduced power FPB spring and wow - I get it.

(Of course love the grip, paddle release, decent sights, nice controls, etc. Have the P99, so paddles are max, and a hammer gun to boot. I like the balance of the standard P30. Got the safety because if I EVER want to co CL its there. Got the gray cuz it looks German).

Saw a video from a guy at 3000 rounds and said it did not smooth out - thats not good. Is that the norm? Anyway they are great guns now at great prices, so I bit.

George from Alaska

HK45T DA/SA
    HK45T Light LEM
    Mark 23 90's era, no lockout
    P30L v3, another on it's way
    P30L Light LEM
    USP .45 Elite
    registered MP5 SEF select fire
    other NFA items

Sponsored Links