Coating factory SP5K mags - best options?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gsyoung54
  • 1 Post By ccosby

Thread: Coating factory SP5K mags - best options?

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Coating factory SP5K mags - best options?

So I'm thinking of getting my factory HK SP5K / MP5 mags coated, since I've had one that was a bit rusted lately (I grabbed an old penny and got it fixed quickly), and I would like for them to have a more durable and rust-proof finish. I've never had this problem at all with any other HK mags.....but unfortunately the finish on factory MP5 mags is....lacking to say the least ;'(

I've heard @Marine0303 and some others praise the Black-T finish from Birdsong, and one or two others that were less impressed with it. There's also the option of taking these to a local cerakote applicator. I believe that with the number of mags I would want refinished, the Black-T would be cheaper than cerakote.....but of course, my main concern is long-term rust protection and general durability of the finish. (cheaper finishing / faster turnaround time would just be a plus)

Anyone that has experience with coating their MP5 mags, thank you in advance for your input. I'd love to be able to just throw these mags in a bag without ever worrying about the finish. It gets humid here in GA.

-----

P.S. As an aside, does anybody use the original subgun Magpuls on their mags? I've seen some people add them to the end of their mags, sometimes with the tabs cut off - I wonder if these would offer any utility or extra protection.....I'm a little scared of throwing relatively heavy $60 metal mags onto gravel when practicing mag changes at the range ;)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Anyone Black-T'd or cerakoted their factory MP5 mags? :)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TLOU_Joel View Post

I screwed up and left some like new M3A1 Grease Gun mags in a canvas tool bag that got damp. Rusted up the three mags pretty bad and more than just light surface rust. I used steel wool, a 3M green scrubber, RemOil, solvents and only managed to get some of it looking OK. Went to NAPA and bought some of the spray black stuff that actually converts rust to an inert black compound and stops further rusting. I put it on one side and an edge at a time, let it dry overnight and did the other side and edge. Gently brushed off excess with plastic and brass brushes. They now have a tough, rugged and rubberized looking finish and all fit perfectly and lock into the gun.
    TLOU_Joel likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don’t think this is the right section to post in really because the people with serious experience with these mags tend to be in the NFA or rifle section more frequently IMHO (I rarely come here myself). Anyway, I am curious about what you are doing with the mags? I have 30-40 year old factory MP5 mags (and even an old MKE mag which gets used a lot) which are just fine so long as I wipe down and maybe oil occasionally after use. With the chrome follower etc., though admittedly not perfect, I have found these mags to be on the more durable side of the full metal mag spectrum. I admit I have not looked closely at the newer mags which come with the SP5K so I wonder if that has something to do with it? Just my thoughts.
    Rollerlocks....

*Locked out of my original AKR account...

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Slip2000EWL, clean thoroughly, apply, let sit over night, reapply as necessary....works for me
    VP9 - all 4 of them :-)
    VP9SK
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made
    P30 v3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I live in GA, and it gets crazy humid in the summer, so I just wanted extra rust protection - I had one rust just by hanging out in my house when I had neglected to oil it.

I sent a portion of the mags off to Birdsong for the Black-T finish, so I'll post my impressions when I get them back :)

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TLOU_Joel View Post
    TSC Machine cerakoted a few mp5 mags for me in both burnt bronze and od green to match guns they did in the same colors. They've held up good so far although they don't get shot as much as my stock mags.
    TLOU_Joel likes this.

Sponsored Links