Cleaning oil off of polymer frame HK USP: HOW TO?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cleaning oil off of polymer frame HK USP: HOW TO?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cleaning oil off of polymer frame HK USP: HOW TO?

Afternoon folks, I apologize if this topic has already been covered, I am new to this forum.

Recently, after years of carrying a P30, I became very interesed in a USP. I picked up a used USP(9) at a LGS. The price was right, the gun is in great shape, there is only one problem - it appears the previous owner stored this beauty in a bucket of Mobil 1. Quite literally the firearm was covered in some form of synthetic motor oil.
    I have cleaned a majority of the oil off of the gun, but, how can i clean the entirety of the oil off of the polymer frame without damaging it? What can i use to clean the frame to its original state? I am not a fan of a slippery grip nor do i look to have motor oil seeping into my skin when carrying. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cleaning oil off of polymer frame HK USP: HOW TO?-8219f73a-2a52-4f86-b543-d5c579191872_1565499766770.jpeg   Cleaning oil off of polymer frame HK USP: HOW TO?-2ad10550-22e9-4c69-a8d4-bdbfce4397a5_1565499788750.jpeg   Cleaning oil off of polymer frame HK USP: HOW TO?-91c8e85a-b944-4dba-96f1-d5085c7798e1_1565500048954.jpeg   Cleaning oil off of polymer frame HK USP: HOW TO?-deed165d-0626-411c-a5a8-8c97bf49cd45_1565500077123.jpeg  
    Thanks,

Alex

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)

Alex,

Welcome to the site, and congratulations on a nice acquisition and setup--- for the polymer frame, I would just use Dawn Ultra (yes, the dishwashing liquid)!!!

Tony
    Last edited by AGG; 08-11-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Full detail strip and a good wipe?

Sounds dirty

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting suggestion. i have an extremely oily pistol I'll try this on

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

There have been numerous discussions about the issue of solvents on the polymer question.
    I link one below.
    But aggressive solvents aren't something I would go with, even though the material is said to be resistant.
    I would start with AGG's suggestion.

One link: https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...oz-more-4.html
    My opinion's as worthy as one from any other doddering old grampa you have never met or heard of.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Dawn is good.
    Simple Green and Castol Super Clean are also excellent choices.

I wouldn't detail strip though. Unless you are familiar with the USP internals you could make a mess of it. Just field strip and wash in hot water and soap, follow with good rinse and compressed air. Be sure to reoil properly.

FWIW, I've used Gun Scrubber, CRC Electronics parts Cleaner, and CRC Brake Cleaner on my HK frames for years with no ill affects. It'll wash off all oils and give the plastic a white chalky appearance, nothing a lightly oiled rag won't cure. I'm careful to NOT get the solvent on any painted tic marks where the safety is.

As an aside, I do nearly all of my cleaning with Ballistol, no bore cleaners or solvents. Maybe a little Hoppes in the bore if I've shot a few hundred rounds.
    Ballistol won't attack plastic or paint and will also cure the chalky white. And I like the smell.
    Last edited by hkshooterusp; 08-11-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I just use a damp wash cloth after I'm done cleaning up after the range. If yours has some build up in checkering etc., a soft toothbrush followed by damp cloth should get it clean, be gentle, no need to apply alot of pressure on the brush.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    WM-FreeThePeople likes this.
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Just keep wiping till its off, on my Glocks I use brake cleaner followed by a light pass with a clp moistened cloth..
    Last edited by Freak; 08-11-2019 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Sp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

+1 on Bollistol won’t ’t hurt polymer. But a thorough wipe down with a rag is probably all you need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A rag sprayed with some 409 household cleaner worked well for me. Mine was just light oily residue though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links