VP9SK slide release stiff
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VP9SK slide release stiff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default VP9SK slide release stiff

I searched google and the forums but was unable to find info I'm looking for.

I am finding it hard to release the slide lock as a right handed shooter. I have to use my left thumb to apply force down on top of my right thumb while its on the slide release. Even then sometimes it doesn't have enough force.

I am getting older and admit my hands don't have the strength they once did, but I don't have this problem with any other guy I own.

Is there something I can do? Maybe a different slide release, or spring, anything to lower the amount of force required or maybe get more grip on the release?

Any info is appreciated.
    First In Last Out

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickelsig229 View Post
    ... I don't have this problem with any other guy I own.
    How many rounds through this? Are your other guns dual-spring subcompacts?
    The stiff release is from the dual-spring action against the slide release hook. Can you release by slingshot?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Hi Nicklesig, I'm sorry to hear that your sk is being so troublesome! But yeah that's not normal. As you said yourself, none of your other guns have levers that are so tough. You shouldn't need to have to use both hands on it.
    Just to reiterate, I can just swipe my thumb across mine, to release the slide.
    Need to call hk, and have them take a look at it. Send it in via a gun store, rather than try to ship it yourself, you will save quite a bit on the shipping.
    Good luck!
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the reply's.

The gun is brand new still unfired.

I can slingshot. I feel like If I could get some more grip on the slide release it wouldn't be a problem.

I'll put a couple hundred rounds through it before I send it out for any type of looking over, but I doubt anything is wrong with the gun, that's why I asked here if someone might have some experience with making it easier to release.

Thanks again guys.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Hiya Nickle. The recoil springs in my sk were extremely stiff when I first got mine. To the point that I was having problems pulling it all the way back to the lock position. It's definitely possible that your spring is putting enough pressure on the slide that it's making it difficult to release. So blasting out the spring is definitely a good idea. Leaving it locked back at nights for a while also can't hurt.
    But yeah, having to use Both hands to release isn't normal. So if it persists, definitely get it looked at.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Just curious, is slide lock also as hard to release with no mag inserted? I notice harder with a mag inserted, but am able to release with left or right thumb.
    VP9 - all 4 of them :-)
    VP9SK
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made
    P30 v3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just checked, it is equally difficult with or without mag.

I pulled it apart and cleaned/lubed everything today.

I'm going to leave it locked back for a couple days till my holster arrives then take it out for a test drive.

I'm hoping the break in might help, but I've never noticed any of my other semi's springs getting lighter after use.

I could just be my grip strength...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I'm also asking out of curiosity, are both sides this difficult on your gun? Both the right as well as the left?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1rst and foremost it’s difficult what ‘stiff slide release’ is sight unseen, and especially when it’s new/unfired.
    Presumed is you’re drilling with a live/snapcap loaded mag and thumb releasing to strip/load a round. If the slingshot works (loaded mag or no mag), it indicates the slide lever/spring is functional.
    L/R mechanical effort should be the same, as both levers are on the same axle. It takes more effort with an empty mag, you’re overcoming both recoil and mag/follower springs.

Remove the slide > insert empty mag. With the side of your thumb, thumb down the release as you would with slide on. You’re only working against the mag spring, do you have enough thumb strength?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzz View Post
    1rst and foremost it’s difficult what ‘stiff slide release’ is sight unseen, and especially when it’s new/unfired.
    Presumed is you’re drilling with a live/snapcap loaded mag and thumb releasing to strip/load a round. If the slingshot works (loaded mag or no mag), it indicates the slide lever/spring is functional.
    L/R mechanical effort should be the same, as both levers are on the same axle. It takes more effort with an empty mag, you’re overcoming both recoil and mag/follower springs.

Remove the slide > insert empty mag. With the side of your thumb, thumb down the release as you would with slide on. You’re only working against the mag spring, do you have enough thumb strength?
    I'm working with snapcaps.

I removed slide inserted mag and the lever functions fine.

In testing I just found out that with no mag, it is not an issue. A little more finger force then I normally use, but it released every time no problem.

With an empty mag in, I can not one thump the release.

With a loaded mag in, I can one thumb it by taking my trigger finger and applying pressure to the opposite side grip, squeezing as hard as I can and pulling down on the slide lock. This isn't something that seems normal to me at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links