Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By azimuth
  • 1 Post By WolfieRules
  • 2 Post By mew

Thread: VP9 Ambidextrous Slide Release

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default VP9 Ambidextrous Slide Release

I am an ambi shooter and instructor. The VP9 caught my eye due to the ambi paddle mag release and the ambi slide release.

I find that the left side (right handed) slide release works great, but sometimes the right side (left handed) release just will not drop the slide.

Anything I should check?

Is a right side slide release available that is the same length as the control on the left side? Ideally they would be perfectly mirrored.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Rag,
    Not sure about the right side slide release dropping the slide but there are times that I cant lock the slide back from the right side release.
    And further more, just found another reason why I prefer the sling shot vs the slide release.
    In case of an emergency
    Blood Type HK

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Insert the new mag with gusto and you can avoid the whole slide release altogether
    WolfieRules likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Hiya Raggedy. Agreed, ambi controls are a godsend for those of us that shoot both hands. I've gotten to the point that I don't want to buy pistols that aren't full ambi.
    Sadly tho, because of the way the VP9 series disassembles, there are no aftermarket mods that will make the release levers symmetrical 😞
    Are you saying that when you push the lever, it doesn't do anything?
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sometimes the right side lever works fine...kind of like sometimes slamming the magazine home works. I avoid "sometimes" stuff.

But about halfway thru my range session today, I found I could not get the right side to release. Switch hands...Left side was no problem. Even right now, with a laser chambered, I can lock the slide back and drop it left side, but not right.

(I try to avoid dropping the slide without a round to absorb some of the momentum, but that is how I am trying to troubleshoot things at home...so as to not be running actual cartridges thru it while troubleshooting)

Basically, I bought the VP9 to do a video review (www.ambgun.com). I had already named another pistol "The Ambidextral Pistol" in a previous review. At first I rejected the VP9 at the gun store because of the slight difference between the left and right side slide releases..."perfect mirroring" being a thing for me. But when a local gun dealer had the VP9 on sale, in grey, I decided give it a go for testing. My son bought one, too. Both of us being former paintball competitors, we're both ambi.

Looking at things with the slide off, I cannot figure why left side would be fine when right side does not work. I thought maybe the right side release might be binding up against the polymer frame, but as best as I can tell, this is not the problem. There is a bit a slack in the right release, but I do not see that has hindering operation. The first 500 rounds it seemed fine. Today, no go.

After having a similar problem with a certain American 9mm and when I contacted the mfg I was informed the ambi slide releases were ambi slide stops...

I presume the VP9's are slide releases, not just stops.

I really like the VP9's:
    Paddle mag release.
    Trigger break (but not the reset).
    Slimmer grip panels that allow "pinch" operation of the mag release.
    Ramp rear sights (not a fan of "glow in the dark" though).
    Grip divots for digging out a magazine.
    Grey color (not a fan of black out in the sun)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkeWolf View Post
    Hiya Raggedy. Agreed, ambi controls are a godsend for those of us that shoot both hands. I've gotten to the point that I don't want to buy pistols that aren't full ambi.
    Sadly tho, because of the way the VP9 series disassembles, there are no aftermarket mods that will make the release levers symmetrical 😞
    Are you saying that when you push the lever, it doesn't do anything?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Are you exerting enough effort/force to release the right/lefty release?
    The left/righty is the slide stop, it engages/holds the slide open. The right/lefty lever is the ambi/release that actuates the left/righty slide stop. Regardless, they have identical practical function.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Raggedy-- hey to another paintballer!! Agreed, I was having to train lefty before I started 'ballin' but after I'd started playing, and got onto a team, it ended up being something that I had to do a lot more of.
    Esthetically, yeah. It's wierd that they aren't the same, but that part, we just have to try not to ocd about. Function wise, I actually kinda like the righside lever better, cuz I can use my trigger finger on right hand to trip the slide, if I need to. Can't do that with the left. So I wish they'd gone with the bigger levers on both, personally. But I understand, since most people wear on the right side of the hip a bigger lever isn't practical or comfortable against the love handles.
    Had to leave my Vp9 sk at home when I moved to New Jermany... Errr I mean, New Jersey, so I can't look inside one right now to see what might be causing your problem. 😞
    But if it's not working, and you've put rounds thru it, I'd say to call customer service and get the pistol sent in.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
    Insert the new mag with gusto and you can avoid the whole slide release altogether
    I use auto forward all the time and don't have to slam mag home, just firmly insert. My new P30 didn't auto forward on first mag through it, but does now, like all my HKs.
    raggedyedge likes this.
    VP9 - all 4 of them :-)
    VP9SK
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made
    P30 v3

mew
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

just rack the slide, problem solved. it works for all pistols.......
    GuntherRommel and raggedyedge like this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Found this right side slide release part
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1497010

It looks to me like the shelf on this is longer than stock. Looks like the shelf may be the same length as the left side.

Investigating.

FYI, I review quite a few ambi related firearms at www.ambgun.com. Current big project features Desert Tech MDR....episode one is out.

I have gone through quite a few pistols...mainly as my "duty" as a ambi advocate reviewer. Some I have utterly discarded. The PPQ M1 Classic is my ambi fav, but I could see my VP9 edging close and maybe surpassing it if I can get it more perfectly mirrored which is essential for seamless transitions. In my Carrying for Self Defense series, I advocate not only for ambi, but left hand as primary (think dealing with things in your environment...riding a motorcycle...), and Rex Applegate "point shooting"...with the non-shooting hand left for fighting, dealing with terrain, herding children, making phone calls, occasionally feeding the pistol, doing selfies, etc...

Playing paintball for several years altered my perspective. Targets are way different when they are shooting back.

I am actually really delighted with both the PPQ M1 and the VP9...for myself, but for ambi advocacy I want to see if I can't make the VP9 just a wee bit better.
    Last edited by raggedyedge; 08-18-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Sponsored Links