Dinged up magwell - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dinged up magwell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mew View Post
    yeah, when the design is to "funnel" the mag smoothly into the magwell it sure looks like that one is purely for external looks rather than actually functioning as designed. As a warning to HK users what magwell is that??
    I was talking about the frame. I've always called it a magwell (the beginning of where you insert a mag), am I wrong? If you're referring to the black EDC magwell I installed, I was hoping to limit the damage to the polymer without having a giant aluminum piece sticking off the bottom and it also locks my hand in better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suzukigs750ez View Post
    I was talking about the frame. I've always called it a magwell (the beginning of where you insert a mag), am I wrong? If you're referring to the black EDC magwell I installed, I was hoping to limit the damage to the polymer without having a giant aluminum piece sticking off the bottom and it also locks my hand in better.
    A flared magwell would typically mean one smooth inside surface that guides misaligned mags into the gun. Your setup created a stepped shoulder, which is more likely to snag something than assist in a reload. In that sense, it is a bad design.

It's fine if didn't buy it for the funnel purpose, but those snags could be what is chewing up the frame. Just a theory though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Youngest HK Fan View Post
    A flared magwell would typically mean one smooth inside surface that guides misaligned mags into the gun. Your setup created a stepped shoulder, which is more likely to snag something than assist in a reload. In that sense, it is a bad design.

It's fine if didn't buy it for the funnel purpose, but those snags could be what is chewing up the frame. Just a theory though.
    The polymer was chewed up before I installed it, which is why I installed it. Makes me nervous with the thinner sides getting damaged, I figured it would keep things a bit safer. No issues as of yet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

mew
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Below is an example of a flared magwell that fit's perfectly with steps built in to "funnel" the magazine with zero frame edge contact allowed.
    this is an ALG Defense aka Geissele on a G17. There will be no chipping the frame on this setup as it is truly designed to do the
    job without damaging your pistol frame. It's the best I've seen so far as fit/finish is impeccable.......
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

That EDC magwell guide, doesn't. What an abortion of an attempt to create a guide!

No offense meant to the OP, it just might provide a little protection and he didn't design it.

The best thing you can do to limit the damage to your plastic grip frame is to get better at reloads. Slow your practice speed until you are smooth and hit the hole perfectly, you are trying to go faster than your ability and beating up the gun. Remember, fast is slow, smooth is fast. As your ability to hit the mag well improves then pick up your speed a little at a time until you are comfortable with it and still hitting the hole perfectly. You'll get there.
    If you watch master shooters closely you'll see that their reloads are perfect and seamless most of the time. They don't hit the gun or bobble, just one smooth, slick motion.
    One other suggestion would be to use a steel frame gun for reload practice. The majority of the motions of reloading a pistol are muscle memory and translate well from one pistol to another, these are the motions you are looking to improve. The feel of the pistol and manipulation of the mag catch are easily adapted to once the basic moves are rehearsed to a flawless degree.
    One last suggest would be to use a full size USP9 or 40 for practice. Their mags are plastic and damage the pistol less when impacting the grip vs a steel mag.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Remember, fast is slow, smooth is fast

I think you meant SLOW is smooth. Smooth is fast.

or not
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The fundamental flaw is in the geometry of the magwell corner, the polymer mold/manufacturing is just enough to not produce a sharp corner. The magwell corner should finish with another step that installs a chamfer, to relieve/remove a stress riser - a 90° corner is a weak edge.

The only place I have an ext magwell is on my W.Combat 1911, with a large bevel and blended to the frame (zero edges for mags to snag on), notwithstanding on an already beveled magwell on a steel frame at that. Note 1911’s are single-stack, vs. double-stack guns/mags that taper to the top.
    In-vogue adjustable grips are also to blame. What grip fit provides, it trades off structural integrity – in the chase to present smaller grip/gun profiles, polymer mass/strength is reduced.
    Regardless, my guns are shooters and dings are welcome.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wallew View Post
    Remember, fast is slow, smooth is fast

I think you meant SLOW is smooth. Smooth is fast.

or not
    Or not. The idea is the faster someone tries to go the slower they end up being. This has always been my experience with myself as well as other shooters. Get smooth and fast will follow, try to go balls out when your ability is lacking and you'll be slower than if you had simply slowed down and taken more time.
    Note, the phrase isn't my own. I was taught this by a sponsored master class USPSA shooter who was the son of my best friend. Being a couple decades younger than I, I still learned to listen when he spoke when it came to shooting. To the best of my knowledge he made up the phrase himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is what it looks like for those who don't know. I mostly enjoy it because it locks my hand in. I didn't buy it to assist in reloading but to minimize damage while practicing. No scratches on it yet so I've been hitting my mark. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit on buying it.

win
    Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is it just the vp9 or will all HK pistols do this? As far as the mag well getting chewed up a bit.
    Is the polymer tougher in the USP? P30?
    win
    P7M8
    VP9
    USP45
    USP9 X2
    P2000
    P30 X2
    USP 45 TACTICAL--stolen--

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links