Another HK VP9 Trigger Bar Spring Failure - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Another HK VP9 Trigger Bar Spring Failure

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    Since HK is on its third iteration, I’m inclined to believe the tension and movement between the spring and the plastic (nylon?) plug has been underestimated.
    I had one fail in the store where I purchased it; brand new pistol.

Shot one magazine; very nice.

Second magazine.... something’s amiss.

Called and the guy on the call wasn’t technical and was kinda in disbelief I think as the pistol had just been released. I clarified what the pistol was doing and he sent me an RMA.

Pistol came back and all was well in Valhalla. I kick myself for not digging into the pistol and taking photos but, oh well. Nothing is truly perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SudS likes this.
    "Buy once, cry once; or not. Let's be honest for a second; most of you will be zombies one day and I'd much prefer you be zombies with crap weaponry."

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonHK40 View Post
    Do you have definitive knowledge that the adhesive/coupling actually failed? Just because HK switched to another adhesive'coupling/bearing does not in and of itself indicate failure-HK may just have switched adhesive vendors, or the coupling might have been revised either architecturally or materially, which may have required a different adhesive.

Since to date HK to the best of my knowledge hasn't sent out any advisories or recalls, I'm a bit skeptical to jump to the conclusion that there was a failure per se involved. But if you do know something from an authoritative source, please share with us.

Best, Jon
    That was according to Bob Schultz of HK as he instructed our class last week when I became an HK certified armeror for the VP series. Cool?
    Chui, PorterM, JonHK40 and 2 others like this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Since HK is on its third iteration, I’m inclined to believe the tension and movement between the spring and the plastic (nylon?) plug has been underestimated.
    Great, another thing that can wrong with my 2 year old VP9t... and just when I’m about to to get my HK suppressor for it :-(

Next time I come down I’ll bring my pistol and you can change out the part for me, Mr. Certified Armorer :-)
    SudS likes this.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RegularGuy461969 View Post
    Great, another thing that can wrong with my 2 year old VP9t... and just when I’m about to to get my HK suppressor for it :-(

Next time I come down I’ll bring my pistol and you can change out the part for me, Mr. Certified Armorer :-)

Ok, but I’m not cheap. Although it is safe to say that I pulled down the class average for efficiency.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Ok, but I’m not cheap. Although it is safe to say that I pulled down the class average for efficiency.
    I like that, I’ll bring you a sign for your new motto, “I’m slow, but I’m expensive!”
    SudS and 4X4 like this.

mew
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Just to be clear, the failure is the adhesive that attaches the nylon plug to the metal spring. Two previous versions have failed and now we are on a third version. Blaming the owner is a bit weak when the problem is really glue. That plug should not come off the spring even if someone was using it as a teething ring.
    First thing I notice is the change in the "plug" material, HK would never change it if there wasn't an issue. And I'm not sure why HKCS1 keeps liking JonHK40's attempts to mitigate these failures??
    Is there a reason for a 3rd generation in the plug/adhesive?? Inquiring minds want to know as I have to say it's a bit concerning especially the excuses as this is currently my EDC......
    PorterM, SudS and Boxed like this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

igs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just to be clear, the failure is the adhesive that attaches the nylon plug to the metal spring. Two previous versions have failed and now we are on a third version. Blaming the owner is a bit weak when the problem is really glue. That plug should not come off the spring even if someone was using it as a teething ring.
    Good to know your gun is held together by glue when your life depends on it.
    mew likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by igs View Post
    Good to know your gun is held together by glue when your life depends on it.
    But it’s German glue. Glue, plastic, pieces of wire. Yeah, but at least the slide is machined.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mew View Post
    First thing I notice is the change in the "plug" material, HK would never change it if there wasn't an issue. And I'm not sure why HKCS1 keeps liking JonHK40's attempts to mitigate these failures??
    Is there a reason for a 3rd generation in the plug/adhesive?? Inquiring minds want to know as I have to say it's a bit concerning especially the excuses as this is currently my EDC......
    Even if a percentage of the failures could be attributed to “ham fisted” users, that is still unacceptable from a manufacturing standpoint. My original comment stands, the plug should not fail (separate from the wire), even if someone is going out of their way to decapitate the friggin thing. Bob Schultz did not blame the customer.
    mew likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That was according to Bob Schultz of HK as he instructed our class last week when I became an HK certified armeror for the VP series. Cool?
    That's significant-what exactly did Bob Schultz say, and what guidance has been provided to HK Customer Service and Techs regarding this? Is it a systemic problem, or a problem that just occurs when a VP is detailed disassembled? Is there a recall or technical advisory on it? As an HK Armorer, what guidance were you provided in dealing with VPs that you service and/or come under your responsibility?

I've just inquired specifically on this to Mr. Schultz directly in his capacity as Director of HK Training, to ascertain the specific issue(s), it's magnitude, and any corrective action needed. Many thanks for your input, and I'm looking forward with interest (both personal and professional) to the HK response on this. Until I definitively hear from HK on this, I'm immediately suspending using my VP40, particularly for duty, amplified by the issue reported by member Chui on post # 31 on this discussion thread on a brand new VP.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonHK40; 09-07-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links