Another HK VP9 Trigger Bar Spring Failure
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Another HK VP9 Trigger Bar Spring Failure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Another HK VP9 Trigger Bar Spring Failure

Hello,

I was at my local range yesterday and noticed that after 20 or so rounds, the trigger stopped resetting.

Upon disassembling, I found that the trigger bar had become broken/dislodged from the bearing/housing that connects it to the trigger bar.

I came across this thread: https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...g-failure.html, and despite there being about two relevant pages in total, there was a question as to how frequent this failure occurs, so let this be added to the list.

I purchased the pistol used, so round count is unknown. Condition was like-new.

Since purchase, I've put approximately 1000 rounds through it.

I have not taken apart the frame in any way.

I was considering just ordering a replacement part from HKparts, but I'm inclined to let HK fix their defect (if it is determined to be so, and not normal wear and tear).

I'll keep this thread and first post up to date with the latest.

***UPDATE***

I've contacted HK and spoke to customer service. Since I am not the original owner, he explained that I could send it in, and that I may be charged. Alternatively, he could send me the latest trigger bar spring for free, and have it replaced. I chose the second option.

Another HK VP9 Trigger Bar Spring Failure-image3-1-.jpeg

Another HK VP9 Trigger Bar Spring Failure-image1-3-.jpeg
    Last edited by msaluta; 09-03-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    Wonder9 and Chui like this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I could be wrong, but I believe HK only offers their lifetime warranty to the original owner. Not to say HK USA won't fix it for you, but you'll more than likely be stuck with shipping and repair costs.
    HK CS1 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Keep us posted!
    are there no stones in heaven but what serve for the thunder?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyno View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe HK only offers their lifetime warranty to the original owner. Not to say HK USA won't fix it for you, but you'll more than likely be stuck with shipping and repair costs.
    We'll see. If that is the case, I'll just buy the part, which is ultimately the more convenient choice for me anyway.

The harder choice is going to be what to replace it with once repaired, since a catastrophic failure such as this gives me bad vibes (not saying this will happen to yours ;-) )

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by msaluta View Post
    We'll see. If that is the case, I'll just buy the part, which is ultimately the more convenient choice for me anyway.

The harder choice is going to be what to replace it with once repaired, since a catastrophic failure such as this gives me bad vibes (not saying this will happen to yours ;-) )
    All makes and models of guns can break . Even the famed Glock . Was shooting my 17 Gen4 and the firing pin broke leaving the gun a paperweight.
    Called Glock and they said it’s a wear part and not under warranty.
    Also since you bought it used how do you know that the previous owner wasn’t monkeying around with the internals ?
    Last edited by Nick101ABN; 09-03-2019 at 12:17 AM.
    DarkeWolf likes this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

(not saying this will happen to yours ;-) )
    I don't own a VP9. If I'm shooting a striker, it's a Glock.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

So you bought an used HK VP9 with unknown history and you are making a big deal about it like it is an HK QC problem - "add it to the count" ? That is just stupid. Have HK fix it and if they charge you for it just pay it because that is a risk you take when you buy a used gun that the previous owner may have monkeyed with.
    Last edited by grumpy1; 09-03-2019 at 01:24 AM.
    Chui, HK CS1, WolfieRules and 3 others like this.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    ― Thomas Jefferson

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

I understand that HK is on their third version of this spring (because of issues). You may have had one of two of the older versions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello,

I was at my local range yesterday and noticed that after 20 or so rounds, the trigger stopped resetting.

Upon disassembling, I found that the trigger bar had become broken/dislodged from the bearing/housing that connects it to the trigger bar.

I came across this thread: https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...g-failure.html, and despite there being about two relevant pages in total, there was a question as to how frequent this failure occurs, so let this be added to the list.

I purchased the pistol used, so round count is unknown. Condition was like-new.

Since purchase, I've put approximately 1000 rounds through it.

I have not taken apart the frame in any way.

I was considering just ordering a replacement part from HKparts, but I'm inclined to let HK fix their defect (if it is determined to be so, and not normal wear and tear).

I'll keep this thread and first post up to date with the latest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3 (1).jpeg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	241134

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1 (3).jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	907.8 KB 
ID:	241136
    I can't recall where, but I've read that the only way that spring will truly break on a routine occurrence is when someone dicks with it, either through improper disassembly/reassembly or doing something else stupid.

Since yours is used, I'm willing to bet this is what happened here as well. Whoever had it before you probably did something stupid with that spring, and now unfortunately you're paying the price.
    WolfieRules and JonHK40 like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    I understand that HK is on their third version of this spring (because of issues). You may have had one of two of the older versions.
    Any idea what modifications HK made to this part to improve it?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links