Sight Selection - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Sight Selection

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder9 View Post
    Wow my dude, get down off the soapbox...

You're right, you can see the outline of the sights in the dark, if there are objects close enough to you to reflect the light from your torch back through your sights.

But isn't sight acquisition harder? And can you see indexes on your sights, e.g. the dots? I think the answers are yes and then no.

To answer your rhetorical question, I haven't shot in the dark with a light. But I have practiced moving around my house with a light on my gun. I know your sights are markedly more visible with tritium than without, light or no.

What's your line of work?

Jesus, dude if you're gonna quote me at least have the courtesy of reading the whole damn post. Unlearn that 3-dot crap...HINT: there's a reason target sights are all black and specific sized front sight/rear notch...it's all about that silhouette.

I get upset because people spread stupid nonsense around because they don't know or regurgitate junk they heard elsewhere. Odds are some poor schmo will get hurt by putting stock in something that detrimental. Bad info is like a small flare up...it needs to be stomped out before it becomes a blaze.

In all seriousness, from the way you speak your skillset is woefully inadequate for a lowlight deadly force encounter. IF you are someone who insists upon being "prepared", I would adamantly recommend some professional instruction.
    Last edited by dms16; 09-04-2019 at 01:11 AM.
    WolfieRules and GraveDigger78 like this.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Not sure what people are worked up about. Would you deny that it's better to have your sights glowing in the dark? C'mon.
    So...your rear sights are closer to your eye, yes? And the front sight is a good 5ish inches forward of that, yes? Say you've got some good, strong, fresh tritium...guess what those rear sights can do sometimes...wash that front dot out and make it harder to see what exactly is going on. This is the big problem with HK's luminiescent (glow in the dark) sights in duty rigs. Those rear sights soak up all the rays and that front buried in the holster gets nothing. Those 2 at the rear shine like beacons with no front dot/sight to be found.

Just another thing to think about...
    GraveDigger78 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight3124 View Post
    Don't forget TooSixy will install those sights for free and he does tremendous work.
    TooSixy?
    JDL

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ar2088 View Post
    Sorry in advance if I am derailing a little. I donít understand why a tritium front with a black rear. As we all know tritium works the best when itís really dark. But we canít see the black rear when itís dark. Seems to me a fiber front should be a better choice to go with a black rear?
    Thanks for responding. Thatís a good question for which I have no answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post
    Jesus, dude if you're gonna quote me at least have the courtesy of reading the whole damn post. Unlearn that 3-dot crap...HINT: there's a reason target sights are all black and specific sized front sight/rear notch...it's all about that silhouette.

I get upset because people spread stupid nonsense around because they don't know or regurgitate junk they heard elsewhere. Odds are some poor schmo will get hurt by putting stock in something that detrimental. Bad info is like a small flare up...it needs to be stomped out before it becomes a blaze.

In all seriousness, from the way you speak your skillset is woefully inadequate for a lowlight deadly force encounter. IF you are someone who insists upon being "prepared", I would adamantly recommend some professional instruction.
    (1) I kind of understand why you'd be worked up about misinformation. But of course, I wasn't suggesting that you shoot from the dots. I emphasized sight acquisition. You're saying trit dots don't help with that, because the rear sights can obscure the front one. Well, maybe that does happen. My (limited) experience does not confirm that. For the record, I always shoot from the silhouette, specifically (a) from the alignment of the top of the blades, and (b) from the distance between the blades. (Of course, what can complicate that theoretically is that HKs use a full-cover, which might make the dots particularly useful for some applications. Not something I worry about personally, but a point no less.)

Also - and this is critical - I never claimed to be an expert. To the contrary, I said "My thought is..." This is a discussion board, not an LE training webinar. I was giving my two cents, which, I will say, may only be worth two cents - but are not worthless. I was not "regurgitating junk" I heard elsewhere. I *was* trusting that night sights have a purpose, AND a purpose not replaced by a weapon's light. My guess is that I'm not alone in thinking this, and with good reason.

(2) On that point, you're also right that I don't have a lot of training. One defensive pistol class (as well as a rifle class). I do want more training, and this conversation is making me think about buying classes instead of guns. So that's a nice thing.

(3) Final note here, it seems like you have lots of knowledge worth sharing on these topics. I hope to learn from you. But it'd be great if you could do it in a way that is not hostile. I'm not your enemy, and I doubt anyone on this board is. If anyone is spreading bad info I'm sure it's in GOOD faith, not to misinform. You can have a really positive role here, but not by shitting on people.
    are there no stones in heaven but what serve for the thunder?

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

No haven't done a low-light shooting course. Yeah so I overstated the point, you can acquire a sight picture with just a light, under the right conditions. Needless to say, you don't have any light on the face of your sights unless you have tritium (or a headlamp or something). Which makes some difference, if not much.

Not sure what people are worked up about. Would you deny that it's better to have your sights glowing in the dark? C'mon.

Go get some lowlight training, then we can quit talking theory. Youíll be coming from a position of experience...and your entire perspective will change. You have a good idea. Quit investing in more guns and start investing in gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WolfieRules likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdl2 View Post
    Hello and thank you for allowing me to join this forum.

Iíve just purchased my first HK which will become my edc after Iíve practiced enough and Iím comfortable carrying. Itís a VP9SK and I love her after only 200 rounds. Well, I probably fell in love after the first mag! However, Iíd like to replace the stock luminescent sights to a green front night sight with blacked out rears. Would appreciate any assistance you can give locating them.

Thank you for your time and interest in helping.

Jim
    Dawson Precision, 10-8 Performance, or Vickers by Wilson Combat
    jdl2 likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdl2 View Post
    TooSixy?
    Free sight installation for members

He's a member on this forum.
    jdl2 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    Go get some lowlight training, then we can quit talking theory. You’ll be coming from a position of experience...and your entire perspective will change. You have a good idea. Quit investing in more guns and start investing in gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Again, I'd like to. But what, are you insisting that my experience will reveal to me that night sights don't have a special function? That I'll suddenly agree with you in a radically new way? Not sure what you think you're adding. I'm glad we've all had this conversation. If you think my "theory" talk is silly, well, again, I am speaking from my own experience - of practicing home defense drills in my house - and again, I'm representing a view that should be represented: the pros of using night sights. I'd be curious if you have views other than dms16's about why night sights aren't useful. But his "hunting people in the dark" didn't convince me that countless LE and military guys are silly for thinking night sights are good *in addition* to a light.

I just Googled this and on the first page was the following forum: https://forum.officer.com/forum/equi...7-night-sights

Surprise surprise, some night sight curmudgeons like dms16... And a number of people who say things similar to myself. If I were saying something really out there it'd be one thing, but I'm not ashamed of representing a valid perspective here.

All that said, I'll repeat myself for a third time: it's definitely a good idea for me to get more training, and more real-life experience with low-light shooting.
    Last edited by Wonder9; 09-04-2019 at 03:06 PM.
    GraveDigger78 likes this.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Surprise surprise, some night sight curmudgeons like dms16... And a number of people who say things similar to myself. If I were saying something really out there it'd be one thing, but I'm not ashamed of representing a valid perspective here.
    Done playing the vicitim and back to throwing stones again, eh?

Your "valid" perspective is only one of inexperience and ignorance in which you linked a limp-**** thread from '05 (bonus points for the dude who posted about "dirtbags behind you seeing your tritium too").

And before you label me a "curmudgeon" I'll reference that I still use tritium in some cases and I noted how I employ it. How I employ it is through personal discovery, trial & error, and education/sharing experiences with others that actually have skin in the game (i.e. other people that carry guns for a living).

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links