Sight Selection - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Sight Selection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, I’m learning that I don’t know much.
    Final question... anyone running or recommending for VP9SK:
    Dawson Precision
    Wilson Vickers Tactical
    XS Big Dot

Thanks,
    Jim
    JDL

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdl2 View Post
    Please tell me what sights you have in your photo.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    The gun's a P2000 with the Trijicon XR front sight (meant for VP9/P30/HK45...but it fits); rear sight is a Dawson Precision P2000 black sight.

As stated before, you can pair the rear from this sight set:
    https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...uct1.php?id=FS

with the XR front sight that can be purchsed separately.

Not the cheapest option, but probably the best balance of speed/acquisition/precision for an iron-sighted carry gun for my taste. As previously noted by @redpillregret , the front (while much larger than a fiber optic) is robust and accomplishes the same idea as a fiber optic. The XR is a thinner front sight than the HD which I like.

You asked about Vickers sights...that's a U-notch rear; I touched on that above. Some like it, some don't. I gave my reasons why I don't.

XS Big Dots...don't like 'em. Sure, they can be used to decent effect with enough practice and I've watched fairly mediocre shooters drop plate racks at 25y with them...but not without considerable concentration/time penalty. That being said, you can do the same with no sights on a gun if you're committed to making it happen. The XS concept is attractive to shooters that cannot yet fine tune their sight picture on the fly, but when you start applying a timer/pressure most found they have their limits and switch to something else. Two other things you'll hear to validate it: Speed and poor eyesight. Speed is a question of practice...period. Poor/aging eyes are a problem and cut sighting options down quick; however, there's still a vast selection out there and almost certainly a better option that won't limit the shooter.
    jdl2 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post
    The gun's a P2000 with the Trijicon XR front sight (meant for VP9/P30/HK45...but it fits); rear sight is a Dawson Precision P2000 black sight.

As stated before, you can pair the rear from this sight set:
    https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...uct1.php?id=FS

with the XR front sight that can be purchsed separately.

Not the cheapest option, but probably the best balance of speed/acquisition/precision for an iron-sighted carry gun for my taste. As previously noted by @redpillregret , the front (while much larger than a fiber optic) is robust and accomplishes the same idea as a fiber optic. The XR is a thinner front sight than the HD which I like.

You asked about Vickers sights...that's a U-notch rear; I touched on that above. Some like it, some don't. I gave my reasons why I don't.

XS Big Dots...don't like 'em. Sure, they can be used to decent effect with enough practice and I've watched fairly mediocre shooters drop plate racks at 25y with them...but not without considerable concentration/time penalty. That being said, you can do the same with no sights on a gun if you're committed to making it happen. The XS concept is attractive to shooters that cannot yet fine tune their sight picture on the fly, but when you start applying a timer/pressure most found they have their limits and switch to something else. Two other things you'll hear to validate it: Speed and poor eyesight. Speed is a question of practice...period. Poor/aging eyes are a problem and cut sighting options down quick; however, there's still a vast selection out there and almost certainly a better option that won't limit the shooter.
    Thank you very much!
    jim

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Thank you very much!
    jim
    @71 years of age, you're the best judge of what you can/can't see. I'm used to going through this stuff with guys in their 20's and 30's and cap out at 50. You may want a wider HD front or something like a Truglo that's got a bit of everything. The mix-and-match game as I've done is a lot of trial and error with a lot of combo's that don't impact where I want. I wouldn't recommend that unless you have a surplus of time and money.

Keep in mind too you can always add reference marks with sight paint and black out stuff you don't want as you go too.

I'll try to snap a pic of the Trijicon hybrid setup so you can see it.

ETA:

Last edited by dms16; 09-05-2019 at 06:33 PM.
    jdl2 likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nice setup on the P2000 Trijicon/Dawson hybrid. Did it change the 3-dot OEM front/height rear/width?

Interesting and thanks for the insight on different type fronts/rears.
    I require low-profile combat sights, no click-adjustable and FO.
    Heinie Straight-8 NS on my D.Wesson, fast target acquisition, limited Tritium usefulness (for me).
    Latest is a W.Combat black serrated u-notch with domed gold bead, and it’s becoming my favorite. Picks up light at any angle, glows in low-light.
    jdl2 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@71 years of age, you're the best judge of what you can/can't see. I'm used to going through this stuff with guys in their 20's and 30's and cap out at 50. You may want a wider HD front or something like a Truglo that's got a bit of everything. The mix-and-match game as I've done is a lot of trial and error with a lot of combo's that don't impact where I want. I wouldn't recommend that unless you have a surplus of time and money.

Keep in mind too you can always add reference marks with sight paint and black out stuff you don't want as you go too.

I'll try to snap a pic of the Trijicon hybrid setup so you can see it.

ETA:

Old eyes for me means green front, blacked out rear. Have been talking with Wilson Combat and they have what I think will work. Very similar to sights Church Rogers put on my 1911. Pls check these two part no’s on their website (698TF and 699HKB) and tell me what you think. Dawson can help but back ordered on front green tritium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To add to the conversation, my favourite sight setup on any gun is a fiber optic front sight & black rear. I like the bright front sight for acquiring a proper sight picture and the black isn't distracting to me. However, my three carry guns have tritium sights on them, two of the three I installed myself, the third factor. All trijicon. I set them up this way for consistency across the board and also have the same light on 2/3. I like the tritium sights for finding the gun in the dark or in my safe but when shooting I forgot about the dots. I guess my brain just translates them to plain black sights. Night sights aren't for shooting in the dark. If you can't see your target, what good are glowing sights?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@cartobum .
    Another thing I was thinking of was our references to NV. A few years ago, I would have been one of the people reading thinking: "Who are these *******s talking about their NVG's or NODs or whatever? Who do they think they are impressing?" Answer: nobody. NV Tech moves pretty fast and it's really affordable compared to what it was, and it's only getting better. Varmint/wild hog hunters are embracing said tech.
    But how does this affect you? Take what's going on on the East Coast right now with Dorian. Rather than say buying that 5th AR15 or 9th HK pistol, would you not be better off having some ability to see in the dark? Not just for seeing potential threats in the dark but merely moving safely when dark AF out there. Just something to think about...
    Pointblank, what NVG/NODs would you recommend nowadays (not an area I am remotely familiar with)? My NVG experience is with old ones from about 10 years ago, but they were extremely useful for night sorties. Cost was always the reason I never looked at them (since I think a decent set was $5K back then).

An interesting point that I had not really thought of.
    My mission: To convert every HK USP, HK45, and HK45 Compact shooter on the planet to Variant 9.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Old eyes for me means green front, blacked out rear. Have been talking with Wilson Combat and they have what I think will work. Very similar to sights Church Rogers put on my 1911. Pls check these two part no’s on their website (698TF and 699HKB) and tell me what you think. Dawson can help but back ordered on front green tritium.
    Those will work together. I don't think I've had the Wilson front/rear together myself so no idea if it will be the same hold/zero as factory or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't like U-notch rears. Supposedly the "U" rear looks more "off" if it's out of center. If it's close, the eye can't tell unless you focus...and then you lose track of the top of the sight. To make that longer shot, you're doing more work and taking longer to make sure the front is where it needs to be.
    Interesting. I've never noticed an accuracy loss with the U-notch HDs to include walkbacks on a steel silhouette to 100yds, but now I'm wondering if I'd be breaking shots faster with a traditional square notch rear?

Damn you and your reality/logic, now I feel I need to test some square notch rears vs the HDs... Gonna have to see what rear options are available for USPs, as they seem to be more limited in sight options.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links