Sight Selection - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Sight Selection

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    Pointblank, what NVG/NODs would you recommend nowadays (not an area I am remotely familiar with)? My NVG experience is with old ones from about 10 years ago, but they were extremely useful for night sorties. Cost was always the reason I never looked at them (since I think a decent set was $5K back then).

An interesting point that I had not really thought of.

I'm not an authority on NVG's by a long shot. We use newer PVS14 Gen 3's and a variety of clip-ons: PVS22, PVS27, CNVDLR in white phos. While we are FAR from being fully NV capable, we can get quite a bit done with a single PVS14 monocular. I'm debating on how I want to roll when the day comes that I have to turn in all my cool gear and decide how I want to skin this cat on my own. I'd probably look at TNVC's sister company Night Goggles and see what they've got cookin'. The NV section of SnipersHide is where some of the authorities are at.

Interesting. I've never noticed an accuracy loss with the U-notch HDs to include walkbacks on a steel silhouette to 100yds, but now I'm wondering if I'd be breaking shots faster with a traditional square notch rear?

Damn you and your reality/logic, now I feel I need to test some square notch rears vs the HDs... Gonna have to see what rear options are available for USPs, as they seem to be more limited in sight options.
    I didn't notice anything doing timed drills at 7y and 10y nor did I notice any problems at distance/walk-back stuff. WHERE I noticed problems was when this No-Fail/Defoor Hat Drill/Timed B8 @ 25y stuff where I had to marry accuracy and speed at a farther distance. Anything with a Heinie, I could score higher, faster. I figured it out on my Wilson CQB that when I would either string vertical or horizontal at 25-50y. I thought it was just a "me" thing that I had to get over, but I saw it again with HD/Wilson/U rears when their limits got pushed.

There's some evidence of it here on a Lazy Wolf w/HD's
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-pisto...ml#post3537052

I know I have to run those guns different.

Years ago at a Vickers class right before the sights came out, Larry was pimping the concept (and I think he's technically correct) in that the eye will notice on the U-notch when the front sight post is hugging far left or far right. However, tiny variances that would push you out of the B8 black are harder for your eye to pick up. Now take something like the Dawson Precision Adj. rear paired with a fiber optic front and the front fills the notch perfectly...you either have the aligned sight picture or you don't...there's no debate. And with THAT combo, I've run sub-5 second FASTest drills, sub-6 second 10-10-10 TEST 100's, 98+ 25y B8's in 20s, and walked it back to 200y on 2/3 IPSC. Sadly, they don't do that sight for HK's.
    Last edited by dms16; 09-07-2019 at 03:51 AM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post
    I didn't notice anything doing timed drills at 7y and 10y nor did I notice any problems at distance/walk-back stuff. WHERE I noticed problems was when this No-Fail/Defoor Hat Drill/Timed B8 @ 25y stuff where I had to marry accuracy and speed at a farther distance. Anything with a Heinie, I could score higher, faster. I figured it out on my Wilson CQB that when I would either string vertical or horizontal at 25-50y. I thought it was just a "me" thing that I had to get over, but I saw it again with HD/Wilson/U rears when their limits got pushed.

There's some evidence of it here on a Lazy Wolf w/HD's
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-pisto...ml#post3537052

I know I have to run those guns different.

Years ago at a Vickers class right before the sights came out, Larry was pimping the concept (and I think he's technically correct) in that the eye will notice on the U-notch when the front sight post is hugging far left or far right. However, tiny variances that would push you out of the B8 black are harder for your eye to pick up. Now take something like the Dawson Precision Adj. rear paired with a fiber optic front and the front fills the notch perfectly...you either have the aligned sight picture or you don't...there's no debate. And with THAT combo, I've run sub-5 second FASTest drills, sub-6 second 10-10-10 TEST 100's, 98+ 25y B8's in 20s, and walked it back to 200y on 2/3 IPSC. Sadly, they don't do that sight for HK's.
    Ok, very interesting. When comparing the HK45 to my new USPs recently, I noticed groups at 25 open up a lot more than I thought they should with the HD's on my HK45. Then shot the USP that still had the black adjustable sights on it and they shrank back down. I figured this was just me sucking with the HK45 or the USP just fit me better, but this seems eerily familiar to what you are describing.

I may have to look at getting Dawson black rears to go with HD fronts (my starting to age eyes do really like the HD front).

Any suggestions on what width Dawson rear would pair well with the standard HD front (I'd prefer the XR but they don't make it for the USP?
    My mission: To convert every HK USP, HK45, and HK45 Compact shooter on the planet to Variant 9.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Any suggestions on what width Dawson rear would pair well with the standard HD front (I'd prefer the XR but they don't make it for the USP?
    When I did it with the P2000, the XR front was 0.122" wide x 0.215" tall and the Dawson rear that only comes in one size has a 0.135" wide x 0.215" tall notch. My sight heights worked out and I got most of the XR dot into the rear notch compared to say like a factory Glock sight where the bottom 1/4 or 1/3 of the front dot is occluded by the rear sight. Dawson suggests a 0.230" front sight height

The HD being wider...0.135" wide x 0.215" tall, I would probably roll with at least the 0.145" wide notch but that depends on how much space you want on the sides of the front sight you want in your sight picture. That Glock above (which in reality doesn't have nearly as much gap as what's pictured is a 0.122" front in a 0.125" rear. So you could roll with a a smaller rear if you wanted. I don't like too much gap...like the U-notch, it's harder to fine-tune (for me). I'm not sure how much of the bottom of the bigger HD dot will be occluded by the Dawson rear...I imagine you'll get some occlusion. The other problem is that there is a suggested 0.200". Granted, I was 0.015" shorter than suggested and didn't see much impact shift but I was going to be high if anything which I'm fine with. You may be impacting low.

Though I like where your head's at, if I had to do a USP again, I'd probably roll with Heinie's and grab some of the bright sight paint and get creative.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trijicon HD.

I have them on my usp9c.

Best ns made imo
    jdl2 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Though I like where your head's at, if I had to do a USP again, I'd probably roll with Heinie's and grab some of the bright sight paint and get creative.
    I've had a couple bad experiences with Heinies, to do with the finish and rear dot placement. They did shoot to my preferred POA/POI.

I'm thinking of going with the Dawson tritium front and black competition rear, then send them off to ToolTech to install them and add yellow tritium dots to the rear. More expensive but it would get me exactly what I want.

just thinking about what rear notch width to mate with the .125" front. Debating between .135" and .145"

Negative is I'd lose the ability to rack the slide one handed on the rear sight, so I'd probably get killed on the streets as soon as I walked out the door with them... ;)
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 09-07-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    jdl2 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So...your rear sights are closer to your eye, yes? And the front sight is a good 5ish inches forward of that, yes? Say you've got some good, strong, fresh tritium...guess what those rear sights can do sometimes...wash that front dot out and make it harder to see what exactly is going on.

Just another thing to think about...
    For those who like three dot tritium, the above issue is easily overcome with a $1 red Sharpie (if you don't want to pay for shorter lasting yellow tritium in the rears). Color over the circle vials on the rear sight. The red ink acts as a filter, both dimming them and turning them yellow-ish in comparison to the front sight.

You have to monitor them as eventually the red Sharpie wears away and you need to re-apply, but it is one of my favorite easy fixes. You can also use a blue or black Sharpie to just dim them.
    jdl2 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I want to thank all of you for your input. Today I sent my slide to Wilson for them to install Vicker’s Tactical green tritium front and blacked our U notch rear. Very grateful for your help deciding.
    Jim
    JDL

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Sponsored Links