VP9 Riding The Slide Lock.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: VP9 Riding The Slide Lock.

  1. #1
    Member
    PlusAD's Avatar
    Join Date : Jun 2017
    Posts : 98
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default VP9 Riding The Slide Lock.

    I know I’m not the only one who rides the slide lock on the VP9. Yes, sometimes I ride the slide lock and I’m purposely changing my thumb position so I won’t do it. What I have been noticing is the slide not locking back even when my thumb is purposely off the slide release. I’ve changed the mags and the issue still persist. I’ve tried 124 gr ammo and the issue still persist. Next I’m going to try 147 gr ammo and see if I can get it to lock back every single time and not just some of the time. My next step after that will be to just change out the slide lock all together although I do not see any significant wear on the slide lock. Anyway, am I missing something? Who has experience with this issue and how did you correct it?

  2. #2
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    WolfieRules's Avatar
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Location : DFW, TX
    Posts : 968
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Default

    Someone will be able to help, I'm sure. Being I've never had an issue with slide lock over cumulative 45K+ rounds (just my VP9s), can't speak from experience.

    I assume you're saying that with an empty mag inserted your slide won't lock back when racked?
    VP9 - times 4
    VP9SK
    P30 v3
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made

  3. #3
    Member
    PlusAD's Avatar
    Join Date : Jun 2017
    Posts : 98
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WolfieRules View Post
    Someone will be able to help, I'm sure. Being I've never had an issue with slide lock over cumulative 45K+ rounds (just my VP9s), can't speak from experience.

    I assume you're saying that with an empty mag inserted your slide won't lock back when racked?
    If I really engage it the slide it will lock.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Location : CO
    Posts : 806
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlusAD View Post
    ... I do not see any significant wear on the slide lock.
    So this is used, how many est rds are on it?
    It shouldn't make a 115/124/147 difference, the follower on an empty mag pushes up the slide lock.

  6. #5
    Member
    PlusAD's Avatar
    Join Date : Jun 2017
    Posts : 98
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PlusAD View Post
    ... I do not see any significant wear on the slide lock.
    So this is used, how many est rds are on it?
    It shouldn't make a 115/124/147 difference, the follower on an empty mag pushes up the slide lock.
    I’ve got over 7k rounds through it. I figured since the VP9 ships with the 40 cal spring 115 gr may be slightly under powered. I’m starting to think the magazine spring may be an issue but that’s been replaced a few times on a 20 round mag extension and every time I replace it it’s good for a little while but goes back to being an issue.

  7. #6
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    WolfieRules's Avatar
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Location : DFW, TX
    Posts : 968
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlusAD View Post
    I’ve got over 7k rounds through it. I figured since the VP9 ships with the 40 cal spring 115 gr may be slightly under powered. I’m starting to think the magazine spring may be an issue but that’s been replaced a few times on a 20 round mag extension and every time I replace it it’s good for a little while but goes back to being an issue.
    Curious, does this happen with factory (HK) 15 round mags? Just whitling down variables. I use the same 3 mags for range time with P30/VP9s....some mags easily have 25K rounds stuffed in over time, never had a spring issue, nor have I cleaned the mag's internals.

  8. #7
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Location : CO
    Posts : 806
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    7K should ‘break-in’ the RS.
    Are these +5/20rd extensions, with ‘20rd’ springs?
    Per W.Rules, eliminated the mags – if the 15’s work then it’s the 20’s.

  9. #8
    Member
    PlusAD's Avatar
    Join Date : Jun 2017
    Posts : 98
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WolfieRules View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PlusAD View Post
    I’ve got over 7k rounds through it. I figured since the VP9 ships with the 40 cal spring 115 gr may be slightly under powered. I’m starting to think the magazine spring may be an issue but that’s been replaced a few times on a 20 round mag extension and every time I replace it it’s good for a little while but goes back to being an issue.

    Curious, does this happen with factory (HK) 15 round mags? Just whitling down variables. I use the same 3 mags for range time with P30/VP9s....some mags easily have 25K rounds stuffed in over time, never had a spring issue, nor have I cleaned the mag's internals.

    It did a long time ago and I switched the followers and it stopped the issue for a little while but didn’t take long to start happening again. All I’m running now is the mag extension. I still think it’s the spring in the mag extension but have had those replaced and again it started running fine but then it went right back to not locking back. I do notice with the mag extension if I push up on the bottom of it there will be a more positive engagement with the slide lock. My theory is that this particular 20 round magazine extension spring may lose its tension over time but it happens so quickly that it’s hard to believe. I’ve asked others if they’ve had issues with the 20 round mag extension and they seem to be running fine. Maybe a design flaw in the actual mag extension where the spring sits to low and can’t generate enough tension?

  10. #9
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Montrala's Avatar
    Join Date : Nov 2003
    Location : Poland
    Age : 48
    Posts : 3,413
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlusAD View Post
    Yes, sometimes I ride the slide lock and I’m purposely changing my thumb position so I won’t do it.
    Are you left handed?
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Current: SFP9SD-SF, P2000SK, MR223A3 11.5"
    Past: P30L, P2000, P30, P7M13, Expert, G3 (MKE T41), HK45C, MR223 16.5"/14.5", SFP9-SF
    I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Hornady, Khales & Typhoon Defence brands in Poland

  11. #10
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Mar 2018
    Posts : 15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I had to lower my thumb position ( right handed) to insure consistent slide lock back as the final round in a magazine is fired. It must not take much pressure on the slide release bar to keep the slide from locking back. I have never had a pistol this sensitive to thumb position. Perhaps if one only shoots H&K pistols the lowered thumb becomes second nature. 1911's, Glocks and S&W don't seem to be sensitive to thumb position.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •