USP Compact .40 vs. HK45C - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: USP Compact .40 vs. HK45C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I'm not trying to restart the age-old caliber debate and get everyone all riled up, I just happen to prefer .40 and .45 over 9mm because the two larger ones are much more reliable if you're not able to get multiple hits and they're also still very effective with FMJ ammo, as you noted. I don't currently have any 9mm's but I have in the past and they certainly have their merits: High capacity for the size of the gun, lower recoil (at least with standard pressure ammo), and generally cheaper to shoot with practice ammo.

For a while I was using a Beretta M9 for home defense, I had it set up with a heavy recoil spring from Wolff and 18 rounds of Federal's old 9BPLE load. 9BPLE is still my first choice in defensive ammo for 9mm, you can't beat 1,350 FPS with a soft 115 grain hollow point. Immediate and quite wide expansion and usually just enough penetration. Plus you can still find boxes of 50 of it for like $15. The only downside to 9BPLE is that its performance through hard barriers is pretty poor, but as a civilian I don't really worry about car doors or auto glass anyway.

But that +P+ 9mm is now in the same league as .40 S&W in terms of energy and recoil, so I just gradually moved to .40 on everything. Better power, not much of a capacity loss, and I don't mind the kick.

Nowadays though, I'm less concerned with capacity and more concerned with shot-for-shot power, as well as outdoor usefulness for defense or close-range deer hunting. Once I killed a few adult whitetails with my .40 and .45 carry guns and the deer either collapsed on the spot or only made it 20 yards or so, it became really hard to want to go back down to the 9mm, a cartridge that often left no exit wound and made smaller wound channels.

Hunting isn't self-defense, sure, but seeing what your gun actually does to a living creature that's at least somewhat similar to a human will give you a real understanding that you just can't get from gel blocks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I prefer my VP9's but I a big fan of 40, I know 40 has lost interest but its a good round and would be effective in a scenario if rounds hit their target. My best HK at accuracy and speed is my P2000sk in 40 with the LEM trigger. I never cared for the LEM until I got this gun and now I love it! I can hit my steel plates at 40yards with that lil SK, and can also with my VP9sk but that 40 is a better caliber in my opinion....

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rockdem View Post
    I prefer my VP9's but I a big fan of 40, I know 40 has lost interest but its a good round and would be effective in a scenario if rounds hit their target. My best HK at accuracy and speed is my P2000sk in 40 with the LEM trigger. I never cared for the LEM until I got this gun and now I love it! I can hit my steel plates at 40yards with that lil SK, and can also with my VP9sk but that 40 is a better caliber in my opinion....
    The 40 does kill that steel. I also them to hear these people talk about the 9mm and all this stuff that its so must better now. I know what the deal is because I was told that the FBI found that the shooting scores went up When they were shooting 9mm. So the idea came that more hits on target and also better scores. That's where they went and everyone goes with them because they don't know any better. I will also say that 357 sig works on them steel targets also. I have my VP40 well not a VP40 now its a VP357sig. If I want to carry my 40 I carry the USP compact 40. Like others have said to each there own. But you see what these rounds are doing when hitting steel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links