Couple of VP9 Questions...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Couple of VP9 Questions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Couple of VP9 Questions...

Just got a VP9 today. Cleaned it, took it to the range. Was shooting a near-max load of W231 under a 115gr Berryís RN. Would not function consistently. Do these normally need heavier/hotter ammo?

As much as I enjoyed dropping the slide with my left thumb (Iím left handed) I think Iím probably gonna have to cut off the right side lever to avoid having the slide fail to lock open on the last round. I looked in the Reference Library but didnít see a VP9 detail strip tutorial. Is there a proper one here to avoid damaging the trigger bar spring polymer piece or should I be searching YouTube?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are mixed opinions here on this. I've read here that you should start off with a load equal to a 124 gr NATO
    for the 1st 250 to 500 rounds. I just received 500 rounds of Winchester 124 gr NATO, so I'm of to the range
    soon.
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I’ve always gone by 500 rounds till a gun is broken in. I have a ups elite that malfunctioned 8 out of 10 rounds till the gasket wore down, now it’s smooth as butter without a hiccup

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

The vp9 has the same recoil spring as the vp40. With light 115gr ammo you may have some malfunctions for the first 150-200 rounds. Once the spring breaks in a bit it will shoot pretty much anything. Congrats on a great pistol. I am a lefty as well and I don't think my vp9 has ever locked back on an empty mag due to my high thumbs forward grip. Doesn't bother me but it's the only thing about the vp9 and p30's that I ever have an issue with.
    JonHK40 likes this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Iíve owned several VP9s. Most of which fame with the original spring. It wasnít until I got a Tactical that I got a .40 spring gun. I stripped, cleaned, and lubed the gun and took it out. It ran 100% with 147 gr 130 power-factor reloads.

Then I got my L kit. It struggled out of the box for the first hundred or so rounds. I cleaned/lubed it, stored it for a week with the slide locked back and went back out. Itís been 100% since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just put 80 rds through mine with 124 Blazer and 115 defender with no issues. I'm a lefty and I don't ride the slide release then again I don't have huge hands

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

What's the 'malfunction'? If slide won't lock back and all else works fine, it's your grip hitting slide release levers...the VP40 spring does prefer 124 as do HK 9mm in my experience.

You can also lock slide back overnight. My VP9 collection eats 115 all day, but prefer 124, unless it's 115+P+.

She'll never let you down once 'broken in'. My main range toy has gone bang (all but 5 times due to some ammo out of spec) essentially 25K times in a row. This one I'm running until it breaks, then sending to HK for a tune up...could be long time before I need to do so.

Have fun, they're great pistols. Though my recent P30 acquisition is growing on me, think I need a 30L
    JonHK40 likes this.
    VP9 - times 4
    VP9SK
    P30 v3
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

All I've put through mine is 115gr without any issues but I do have that problem with hitting the slide release and last shot not leaving the slide open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I read somewhere that HK "recommends" firing 500 rounds of 124gr to break in the gun. Ammo quality has s lot to do with it too. I've got close to 5000 rounds through each of my VP9's. I fire several hundred rounds of either MaggTech or American Eagle 124 gr or 115 gr each range trip without issue. As soon as I load up Blazer Brass 124 gr I get stovepipes within the 1st 20 or so rounds. As for taking down the trigger and/or seer pack, it's fairly easy to do. See the video here: https://youtu.be/z5FT2jJSZVQ

I strongly recommend spending the $20 to get the HK Armorer's Trigger Spring pliers from HKParts for re-assembly. You'll thank me later!
    https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Trig...-409p16031.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is a full take down video for the VP9
    https://youtu.be/E63SfM5JXMs

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links