Vp9 grips and sight alignment
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vp9 grips and sight alignment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Vp9 grips and sight alignment

I've been trying to find the right grip combo. How much does it affect sight alignment.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Try different combos of backstrap and side panels, then just point, you'll see. Backstraps can make difference in 'natural' point, side panels help some L/R.
    Last edited by WolfieRules; 09-23-2019 at 02:26 AM.
    VP9 - times 4
    VP9SK
    P30 v3
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The best set-up guide I've found and used is from several members here that's been posted before:

1. First, concentrate on choosing the appropriate backstrap; so initially, just stick with the OEM side panel set-up, which is Medium Left and Medium Right;
    2. Drift out the backstrap retaining pin (use the proper HK drift, available from the HK Webstore or an appropriate-size roll pin punch), and start with the OEM (Medium) backstrap;
    3. Visually pick a target object; the pistol should be at your chest prior to press-out;
    4. Close your eyes, and then press out the pistol to your natural extended shooting position;
    5. Open your eyes-observe where the front sight is vertically.
    6. If the front sight is too low, remove the Medium backstrap and install the Large one; conversely, if the front sight is too high, remove the Medium backstrap and install the Small one.
    7. Retest and verify selection. Ideally, front and rear sights should be aligned for elevation on target naturally on press-out.
    8. When satisfied, re-insert the retaining pin, or leave it out while experimenting with the side panel selection, reinserting it when finished.

The side panel selection is a combination of determining what fills your palms best, giving you the greatest grasp on the receiver, and which combination naturally provides the best horizontal sight picture facilitating a center hold POA/POI. On my VP40 and P30L, I determined that this was best facilitated by the Small backstrap, Large Left panel, and Small Right panel. While the correct/ideal backstrap selection is pretty easily determined, the best side panel selection may take more time and empirical experience-in my case, my final selection was assisted by the observations of my tactical instructor during a in-depth class, which clicked with my own empirical observations/results. In effect, the side panels can set you up to properly steer the gun, with a natural occurring POA/POI being the confirmation.

What you end up with may or may not be the most "comfortable" or "natural feeling." Let your quantifiable results and observations be your guide is my suggestion.

If you need, or want to experiment on the range, you can experiment with the backstrap retaining pin drifted out to facilitate the backstrap and panel switch-arounds.

Best, Jon

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HK Shooting Team
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blkloin77 View Post
    I've been trying to find the right grip combo. How much does it affect sight alignment.
    It is as simple as trying different combos and finding what you think feels best in your hand. There is absolutely no magic or anything complicated with sized grip panels.....it is about feel. You will shoot best with what feels best to YOU. Your sight alignment can be impacted with changes in grip pressure and grip pressure can change while shooting, between shooting, and between shoots! :) Go with what feels best and ignore anything more complicated! VP9 for the win!
    Heckler & Koch Shooting Team
    Heckler & Koch Certified Armorer

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I found the best way is testing at the range via live fire and as mentioned I left the retaining pin out to make changes easy.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    ― Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post

as mentioned I left the retaining pin out to make changes easy.
    No do you fire with the roll pin out? I looks like the backstrap would move but I could be overthinking it. I will try it again next range trip hopefully I'll be able shoot more that 80 rounds

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like maybe you should look up some good handgun training companies!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I stuck with the factory setup, it feels pretty good just grabbing the pistol, and ive shot well with it that way. I might play with the side panels now since reading a post above, but test with live fire...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USP/P30 View Post
    Sounds like maybe you should look up some good handgun training companies!!
    That's not a bad idea. The reason I asked is because I went from a cheap handgun to one of much higher quality.i did play with different grip combos and noticed sight alignment changed. So I thought I would get input out from other VP9 owners and there experience with different grip combinations
    Last edited by Blkloin77; 09-24-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blkloin77 View Post
    No do you fire with the roll pin out? I looks like the backstrap would move but I could be overthinking it. I will try it again next range trip hopefully I'll be able shoot more that 80 rounds
    Yep, I use a fairly firm grip but not a death grip and had no problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links