Like Tree57Likes

Thread: RE: Why the MK23 failed......

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by romeo_alpha01 View Post
    I thought I was the only person who used it this way! Lol
    And when all ammunition is expended, one can utilize the "reverse" grip and use it as a pommeling implement!!!

Tony
    WolfieRules likes this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    And when all ammunition is expended, one can utilize the "reverse" grip and use it as a pommeling implement!!!

Tony
    The only time where a bladed attachment makes all kinds of sense!
    AGG likes this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet818 View Post
    The haters are likely those that do not have one or can't justify the cost to own one.

I'm guessing those who own it love it.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
    A friend of mine had multiple examples of the Mark 23 and always hyped it up to me. I bought into it and had desire for one for a short time.

I donít have one. Iíve had many opportunities to buy one and passed. One of those opportunities, I chose to buy a new competition pistol. My buddy bought the one I passed on.

I hate the damn thing. Iím glad I didnít buy it. Iíve shot it several times. I have no desire for one after having messed with it for a while.

Itís not that Iím jealous, itís not that I canít afford one. Itís that itís a worthless pistol. It has low capacity, itís heavy, it doesnít carry well, and it has no use. It doesnít do ANYTHING something else doesnít do better. I believe SOCOM agreed with such an assessment. Nobody needing a pistol to do their job chooses the Mark 23. Itís a barbecue gun. Iíd imagine all the guys singing itís praises donít carry one or use it professionally. They just talk about how cool it is, shoot it occasionally, and show it to their friends.

If you like it, cool, rock on. But the gun failed as a Special Operations pistol. It failed as a professional use gun, and there is little that it does that something else canít do better.

Flame away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

mew
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

The Mk23 is a fabulous pistol that met the DOD specs when no other pistol could and HK stepped to the plate. Then it was put into service where the people it was designed for never really embraced it. It's really a love/hate thing for most especially the cost which bewilders some. You either get it or you don't. I loved mine so much I had my vanity LP made and enjoyed it secretly for years until my fever broke and my love has waned. I still love the concept and the weapon, there is nothing else like a Mark 23.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've never owned a Mk23, though I had a chance to put ~100rds through one many years ago. I liked it, but it is, for me, just too darn big. I find the USP 45 Tactical to be more desirable.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    A friend of mine had multiple examples of the Mark 23 and always hyped it up to me. I bought into it and had desire for one for a short time.

I don’t have one. I’ve had many opportunities to buy one and passed. One of those opportunities, I chose to buy a new competition pistol. My buddy bought the one I passed on.

I hate the damn thing. I’m glad I didn’t buy it. I’ve shot it several times. I have no desire for one after having messed with it for a while.

It’s not that I’m jealous, it’s not that I can’t afford one. It’s that it’s a worthless pistol. It has low capacity, it’s heavy, it doesn’t carry well, and it has no use. It doesn’t do ANYTHING something else doesn’t do better. I believe SOCOM agreed with such an assessment. Nobody needing a pistol to do their job chooses the Mark 23. It’s a barbecue gun. I’d imagine all the guys singing it’s praises don’t carry one or use it professionally. They just talk about how cool it is, shoot it occasionally, and show it to their friends.

If you like it, cool, rock on. But the gun failed as a Special Operations pistol. It failed as a professional use gun, and there is little that it does that something else can’t do better.

Flame away.

Yep, from that perspective 100% agree.

I remember years ago digging for info on the M9 Dolphin slide when I came across an account from a team guy talking SEAL pistols in the 80's and 90's...mostly regarding the M9 problems, the P226, Mk23 and a few wheel guns.

What many forget is that the Mk23 was going to shoot some hot, HOT .45 ammo:
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...ml#post1283934

The long and short of what I remember was that the Mk23 excelled in a few areas compared to some:
    - The author talked about having the Mk23 has a good hide companion in that the souped up ammo would have little issue making it through leaves/branches and hide material should they be stumbled upon and the Mk23 was easier to deploy than a shoulder-fired option of the time.
    - The author noted that the HK finish was far superior on dives compared to the Sig P226 that didn't respond well to salt water and that many would return to stainless 686 or 66 .357's prior to having the HK as an option.
    There were a few times I have read where people liked it because .45 > 9mm, but the above are really the only times where the behemoth brought something to the table for the operator.

I remember reading elsewhere that much of the end of the Mk23's "service life" ammo...and lack there of was a major problem and while they were technically in service, they weren't supported.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
    Give it a whirl and let us know how it turns out...
    I think Iíll pass on actually doing that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Say what you want I like it. It big mean and serves it's purpose. It's no different the a 500 mag de 50 ae. It just does it better. Show me any other gun that was put thru the ringer and asked for more. With the proper holster you carry anything with ease.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Default RE: Why the MK23 failed......

Quote Originally Posted by Blkloin77 View Post
    Say what you want I like it. It big mean and serves it's purpose. It's no different the a 500 mag de 50 ae. It just does it better. Show me any other gun that was put thru the ringer and asked for more. With the proper holster you carry anything with ease.
    Care to share your CCW holster for the mark 23? Perhaps a picture of you carrying it?

Or even an OWB?

At least the .50 AE guns have a ton of energy compared to the Mark 23.

Honestly, Iíd take a Glock 20 all day every day and twice on Sunday.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Some people like Glocks, some don't. Some people like meat, some lunatics don't. Some people like hot weather, some don't. My dad loves his MGB. For the life of me I can't figure out why. He hasn't been able to drive it for a decade because it's not running anymore. He says when he dies it's mine. I don't want it. If I did get stuck with it, I'd do an LS swap etc. By the time I'm done only the heavily modified body would be MGB.

Anyway, I say that to say this: The Mark 23 appeals to some but not others. We each have our own reasons. It's cool. That's what give life spice. I like the Mark 23. It only has one use for me right now. It is a range toy. It is impractical for anything else for me. Maybe if the zombies ever do destroy the world.....maybe then I'll carry it. Until that time I love to fondle it and punch paper with it. I could do that with a P7 but I'm not a fan enough of it to pay 3000.00 for one. Same with the USP Match pistol. I don't see the point in condescending to those who are fans and who do own them. I say bully for you if you have an HK that exhilarates the soul.
    mew and GuntherRommel like this.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links