RE: Why the MK23 failed......
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: RE: Why the MK23 failed......

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Default RE: Why the MK23 failed......

Just posting what I found.....not saying anything other than that....and not saying that I agree....just sayin....

Interesting information if you read through it.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...t-failed-41407
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That website is garbage clickbait. Other articles I've seen:
    Ruger American dethrones Glock
    Keltec PM30 the most deadly weapon

Etc etc

Pure garbage written by gun illiterates

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    hkbullseye, 2BDivn and NewWaveGuy like this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Ok.....to simply put their writings as "pure garbage written by gun illiterates"......without any explanation does nothing.

For example;

"The H&K submission won the OHWS program and was adopted as the Mk 23 Mod 0 in 1995. Arguably over-engineered, the pistol was massive but incredibly reliable (experts have referred to it as the “most tested handgun in the world”) and accurate."

To further their findings,

"From front to back, the Mk23 has a slide release, decocker, and safety, all in a single line. To compare, the P226 in the configuration used by the SEALs simply have a slide release and decocker, and Delta’s M1911s have just a slide release and safety."

Personally, I'm not a P226 fan......HOWEVER, I {personally} am a huge fan of the P228/P229, both of which were standard issue of BATFE for quite some time, especially in the 90's era, and for good reason. You can field strip, clean, and reassemble either one of the aforementioned, with nothing more than your pocket knife or finger nails if need be. Ask me how I know...…

So blanket BS statements.....common man.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The Mk23 is hands down my favorite handgun, and there's no other gun I would trust more to just work at the end of the day.

That being said, if anyone asked me how I would describe the Mk23, the most negative thing I could ever say is...

"It's a really good execution of a bad idea"

All of the things that some people don't like on the Mk23 is more SOCOM's fault and less HK.

Oh it's so big and heavy? The US Government asked for a handgun that could replace a long gun (not a pocket gun), with stupid reliability and durability. HK delivered, and it's big because you can't beat physics.

Oh there's too many controls? The US Government asked for a safety and decocker completely separate.

HK delivered everything the US was asking for, and then some. No one asked if what the US was asking for was a good idea in the first place.

(Note that all of the above is the opinion of a low speed high drag non-operator).

PC7
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

My Mark 23 has never failed.....
    D9M9TR9S, MaD HuNGaRIaN and wallew like this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    The Mk23 is hands down my favorite handgun, and there's no other gun I would trust more to just work at the end of the day.

That being said, if anyone asked me how I would describe the Mk23, the most negative thing I could ever say is...

"It's a really good execution of a bad idea"

All of the things that some people don't like on the Mk23 is more SOCOM's fault and less HK.

Oh it's so big and heavy? The US Government asked for a handgun that could replace a long gun (not a pocket gun), with stupid reliability and durability. HK delivered, and it's big because you can't beat physics.

Oh there's too many controls? The US Government asked for a safety and decocker completely separate.

HK delivered everything the US was asking for, and then some. No one asked if what the US was asking for was a good idea in the first place.

(Note that all of the above is the opinion of a low speed high drag non-operator).
    Thank you sir.....intelligent debate on the topic was all that I was in search of, on this topic. As originally stated....I don't "agree" with the article 100%, but wanted to bring it to light for those that are MK23 owners/carriers/enthusiasts.....

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Better stated: It fell out of favor because it was a weapon/concept by committee.
    Brad4065 and Vincent04 like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just wish the slide lock made it to the civilian version. :( It would have been perfect with that.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaoKahn View Post
    I just wish the slide lock made it to the civilian version. :( It would have been perfect with that.
    It never made it to the military version either. I believe it caused durability issues with the slide. If you need to prevent your gun from cycling, just put your thumb on the back of the slide.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    It never made it to the military version either. I believe it caused durability issues with the slide. If you need to prevent your gun from cycling, just put your thumb on the back of the slide.
    I’ve never tried that, I wonder how hard it actually feels?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links