Why isn't there an Optics Ready VP9 in the US yet? - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Why isn't there an Optics Ready VP9 in the US yet?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Montrala View Post
    When on setting 10 I got 8 days constant on plu 2 days of reduced brightness. With setting 7 (this is default setting after turning on) I have it on for over 3 months and still going, still able too go up to top brightness. I think 7 will be good for 6 months, 8 maybe 3. Carrying with anything over 7-8 really does not make much sense. Settings 9 and 10 are much brighter that most of RD on market and people do not complain of them being unusable because of being too dim.
    Thanks Montrala - the stories I'm hearing with the battery life mirrors this - that putting it on the very highest settings will burn through batteries, but on most reasonable settings, it will give perfectly acceptable life.
    I'll share my experience, but most of the time, my ACRO sits in the safe, dark and alone :-)

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbrown View Post
    I've actually seen MR308 uppers (mine) incompatible with other MR308 lowers (somebody else's). Pins in different locations. No idea why.
    Because BKA withdrawn this stupid requirement for incompatible receivers and later MR308 and MR223 (from A1 onward) have receiver pins in same location as HK417 and HK416.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Current: SFP9SD-SF, P2000SK, MR223A3 11.5"
    Past: P30L, P2000, P30, P7M13, Expert, G3 (MKE T41), HK45C, MR223 16.5"/14.5", SFP9-SF
    I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Hornady, Khales & Typhoon Defence brands in Poland

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Montrala View Post
    Because BKA withdrawn this stupid requirement for incompatible receivers and later MR308 and MR223 (from A1 onward) have receiver pins in same location as HK417 and HK416.
    Makes sense, thanks...

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could the non-availability of an optics-ready model of the VP9 be due to a lack of interest from Hecker & Koch's United States operation? Are the available VP9 variants determined by them, and the SFP9 variants determined by the German operation? This might explain why there are minor differences in SFP9 and VP9 configurations.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    If you notice the tint, you’re doing it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Uh, not necessarily. Again, for me, the tint becomes an issue in low light, where you're already operating at a deficit in visual information. Shooting in low light at a small target that has low contrast with its surroundings, and the tint and distortion of the RMR most definitely can be a problem, as it forces you to slow down to find the target. It's not a huge deal, but it certainly is something to be concerned about.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Uh, not necessarily. Again, for me, the tint becomes an issue in low light, where you're already operating at a deficit in visual information. Shooting in low light at a small target that has low contrast with its surroundings, and the tint and distortion of the RMR most definitely can be a problem, as it forces you to slow down to find the target. It's not a huge deal, but it certainly is something to be concerned about.
    Yeah, you’re doing it wrong. You need to keep both eyes open and target focus. You’ll never notice the tint. I can put f’ing tape over the objective side of the RMR and it won’t distort my vision.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redpillregret View Post
    Yeah, you’re doing it wrong. You need to keep both eyes open and target focus. You’ll never notice the tint. I can put f’ing tape over the objective side of the RMR and it won’t distort my vision.

It is most definitely an issue even with both eyes open. When there is low contrast and low light, the distortion and tint muddles the sight picture, and makes it more difficult to reconcile the two images by both eyes to spot the target; using the RDS as an OEG might actually make it easier to find the target in such conditions, as it allows for a less confusing sight picture. Shooting unpainted steel in the rain and dark at longer distances with the RMR (both with rifles and handguns) made it abundantly clear to me that there were indeed issues with the tint and distortion in certain conditions. In well lit environments and/or high contrast targets, it's not, but we don't always have that luxury. I don't think it's a huge issue, as I would still strongly prefer the RMR over, say, the DPP, simply for durability and environmental concerns, despite the DPP having much less distortion, tint, and more forgiving window, but to dismiss the issue outright is not the right way to go, IME.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Nah, I’ll keep dismissing it as with target-focused shooting I don’t even see the screen. I see the target and a dot over it. No tint, no screen, no anything.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

When the target is small enough to fit completely in the RMR'd FOV, suddenly the target can get a little less defined, since now you have two different images your brain is trying to turn into one, which is where the slow down occurs. It isn't huge for me, maybe .15 difference in splits when shooting at unpainted 4" steel squares at 25 yards in the rain... but it's noticable and consistent for me (low CRI WMLs don't help either). A niche area, for sure, but hey, I like shooting smaller targets at range, so it's an issue I care about.

I'll also note that I would strongly prefer the RMR to keep the tint, and have a better battery life, than to be less tinted and have weaker battery life, given how the RMR needs to be unmounted to change the battery life, and the tint truly isn't a huge issue.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 01-14-2020 at 04:56 PM.

PC7
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    Could the non-availability of an optics-ready model of the VP9 be due to a lack of interest from Hecker & Koch's United States operation? Are the available VP9 variants determined by them, and the SFP9 variants determined by the German operation? This might explain why there are minor differences in SFP9 and VP9 configurations.
    HK USA is wanting the VP9 OR.
    They are waiting on Germany.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Sponsored Links