P7M8 IE Date Code "Made in Germany"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: P7M8 IE Date Code "Made in Germany"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default P7M8 IE Date Code "Made in Germany"

I just bought a used P7M8. I've been wanting to take the plunge for years. Found one I couldn't pass up. Consignment sale from an estate. Dirty, with holster wear, but otherwise seems in perfectly functional condition. Cleaned it up a lot at it looks much better. I intend to refinish it, get some Nill grips, a great leather holster from Ryan Grizzle, and keep it as a shooter.

Date code is IE. Serial is 858xx. All numbers match, with box.

What confuses me is that it says "Made in Germany" not "Made in W Germany".

I've read so much on the internet about P7M8 pistols and it seems like the preponderance of evidence says that prior to the early 90s, HKs said "Made in W Germany".

I know I have seen serial numbers around 87xxx that say "W Germany". I *think* I have seen s/n lower than mine that say "W Germany".

Why does mine say "Made in Germany"?

Best to all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't have an answer to your question, though I'm certain other posters will. Just want to ask if we can see some pics -- not just of this particular roll mark, but of the gun in general.

Congrats on your first P7 family member! They can be habit-forming.

(Edit: Never mind. I see you have even fewer posts than me, so I don't think you can post pics yet.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah. 3 posts in 11 years as a member. I guess you can say that I read a lot and don't say much.

I'd appreciate any help with this mystery (at least to me).

Best.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Without seeing some pictures, it’s hard to say. My first guess is that the slide is not original to the gun. It could have been sent back to HK for repair in the mid to late 90’s after it changed to “made in Germany”. Hk would re-serial a new slide if the original one could not be repaired. The pistol would then be reproofed and a “J” stamp would be stamped instead of the typical “N”.
    bastardsonofelvis likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for your reply, Brobus. I have "N" proof marks on both the frame and slide.

Tobrooksto likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AustinTX View Post
    I see you have even fewer posts than me, so I don't think you can post pics yet.)
    Anyone can post pics. It's the PM feature that he cannot use until he reaches a pre-defined number of posts

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSixy View Post
    Anyone can post pics. It's the PM feature that he cannot use until he reaches a pre-defined number of posts
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hkpro-ho...w-members.html
    TooSixy likes this.
    ”What do you want to discuss now, my favorite color?”–Col. Nathan R. Jessup

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)

New rules, huh?

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CommO View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Brobus. I have "N" proof marks on both the frame and slide.

Thank you for the pics. The reason why it says “made in Germany” instead of W Germany is because that is a very early P7M8. It has the same markings as the ID (1983) P7M8s. Very few IE (1984) P7M8s have those markings. Notice how the “Chantilly VA” and the “P7M8” on the top slide are pushed forward almost to the end of the slide. The later ones were back further and had “W Germany” until the mid 90s. I also like how the “N” or nitro proof marks are in a straight line unlike some of the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for the interesting info, Brobus! I read somewhere in another thread that you knew your way around the P7 family. Evidently, you do. Any reason why I should keep this one unmodified (no refinishing, etc.)? Since it is used (looks like it was carried more than fired), my gut says it's value to me is more as a shooter than as a collector's item. I will, of course, be adding more to the collection, I think.

Thanks again, Brobus, and to all for taking the time to read.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links