Mark 23 barrel doesn't fit anymore. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Mark 23 barrel doesn't fit anymore.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Partial squib? How is it a squib if if impacted the berm and no round was ever stuck in the barrel?

Are you certain the round before wasn’t the squib and still in the barrel when the round that locked the gun up was fired? That would have caused a pretty righteous pressure spike.

Was the round that locked the gun up louder or quieter?

Usually, a squib is no big deal if you don’t fire a round after it. You just punch the squib our and go on. There is no pressure.

A bulged barrel is typically due to over-pressure; a situation created by an over-charged round or a bore obstruction. Firing a round with a bore obstruction may mean something different for you in terms of outcome.

Since there is a bulge and signs of over-pressure HK needs to check your ejector and extractor as well.

Did you by any chance pick up the brass for inspection? This may prove to have a few clues as to what the cause was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WolfieRules likes this.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Ammunition is the more likely reason--- keep us updated!!!

Tony

mew
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

perhaps the previous round was the squib and the next bulged the barrel and struck the berm?? who knows but I don't think
    an over pressure round would bulge a barrel halfway down how could it? no logic in that it would just kaboom .....

Partial squib story on Sigtalk,

"Good job at noticing the squib! I always say if it doesn't sound right or feel right STOP!
    I've seen so many people in matches raking and slapping, I beat a hasty retreat.
    I recently had, for a lack of better terms, a partial squib. Luckily it was during practice. I fired a shot, with Blazer Brass, and it made a funny sound, but I saw dust fly on the burm, I stood there for a sec puzzled and thought i'd better check. What I found was most of a bullet lodged in the barrel with the side of it blown off, whew"
    MaD HuNGaRIaN likes this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yeah bore obstruction is what that would be. But reading his story, there wasn’t a subsequent round fired after the “funny one”. That’s what has me confused.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes he stopped shooting, but what was the shot/round before the funny one. An overpressure would be on the chamber, a squib could bulge the barrel (as alluded).
    Even Buffalo Bore 45 Super 185gr/1300fps should be no problem with a MK23. Awaiting what ‘commercial USA brass case ammo’ is, as there are also commercial Reman.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzz View Post
    Yes he stopped shooting, but what was the shot/round before the funny one. An overpressure would be on the chamber, a squib could bulge the barrel (as alluded).
    Even Buffalo Bore 45 Super 185gr/1300fps should be no problem with a MK23. Awaiting what ‘commercial USA brass case ammo’ is, as there are also commercial Reman.
    I would also be concerned if he had shot lead ammunition.

If the round before struck the target, is find it hard to believe a failed bullet would have still struck the target.

Over pressure is pretty much only going to be some kind of obstruction. I’m yet to ever see a bullet partially lodged in the bore so that’s beyond me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

We can only presume from post face value, there is no mention of striking the steel from the previous round (as there is also no mention of range either).
    Lead ammo variable, deposits on the poly bore could be a factor.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Need more details for sure...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

My bet is he simply didnt notice the actual squib but did notice when he fired the follow on round that simultaneously knocked the squib clear but bulged the barrel when the follow on round hit the squib.
    Wilmersdorfer likes this.

mew
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

precisely what I said 6 posts up. how else could a barrel get bulged without a squib or a partial obstruction? impossible.......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links