Fixing a chopped barrel?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fixing a chopped barrel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fixing a chopped barrel?

hey guys and gals. Looking for some advice/guidance. So I purchased a "New old stock" USP 45 Tactical on GB. The description said "non-threaded" and the gun shop was out of Cali (I live in PA). It was a steal of a price, and no big deal cuz I have a spare USP 45 threaded barrel, so I grabbed it. I assumed the barrel that came with it was some sort of stock length barrel that was without threads for CA reasons. Well, when I got it, it looks like someone just cut the threaded end off and left about 1/4 inch of barrel sticking out past the slide. Pics attached, but my question is do you think this is OK to shoot? Or do you think HK will fix the barrel and make it stock length and re-HE finish the muzzle end? I would like to make sure the barrel is in perfect shape (and prefer to remove that last 1/4 inch in length so that it is flush with the frame/slide like a non-tactical, stock Bbl) given it has the matching SN. It looks like they did a clean job, whoever they may be, but I'm no barrel expert, so opinions are welcome...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fixing a chopped barrel?-img_20191027_0803420_1572178144826.jpg   Fixing a chopped barrel?-img_20191027_0803385_1572178159607.jpg  
    "AHH BUCKLE THIS! LUDICROUS SPEED! GO!!!"

-HK Mark 23, HK USP .45 Tactical, HK USP .45, HK USP 45 Compact SS Slide, HK USP .45 Compact, HK USP .40, HK USP .40 Compact, HK USP 9, HK USP 9 Compact, HK45c, HK P30 .40, HK P2000 9, HK P2000SK LEM V2 .40, HK P30SKS, HK VP9 LE, HK VP40 LE

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I would send it off to HK and have them take a look at it if any for safety and peace of mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It looks like it has been cut and recrowned. It is nicely done. 11 or 17 degrees by the looks. My bet is 11. I would shoot it. I have had several guns recrowned. p226, BHP, p225, CZ82, Vbob, Sig mpx, Kriss vector, Kriss defiance. When properly done, it can save a barrel. I have found factory crowns to be adequate, but like anything adequate some can be great and some not so. A careful crown is a step in the manufacturing process that takes time When a recrown can take that time and increase the accuracy. There is not likely anything wrong with the barrel. Group it at 50ft or 75 and see.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I'm with lakelandman on this one. Send it in to HK, and have them test shoot it to be sure and safe. Why risk your gun and/or anatomy? In the meantime, you can still shoot your USP with your threaded barrel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DsGrouse View Post
    It looks like it has been cut and recrowned. It is nicely done. 11 or 17 degrees by the looks. My bet is 11. I would shoot it. I have had several guns recrowned. p226, BHP, p225, CZ82, Vbob, Sig mpx, Kriss vector, Kriss defiance. When properly done, it can save a barrel. I have found factory crowns to be adequate, but like anything adequate some can be great and some not so. A careful crown is a step in the manufacturing process that takes time When a recrown can take that time and increase the accuracy. There is not likely anything wrong with the barrel. Group it at 50ft or 75 and see.
    I concur with DsGrouse. There are no obvious safety issues that are depicted in the pictures and I as well have shot recrowned barrels. If you don't like the way it "Prints" on paper then you of course have the option of sending it to HK. That said if you got the deal you say you did then why not give it a try first? You may well be very pleased with the performance of the parts without spending any more money on the project. Just my $.02 since you asked.

Merchant of Death (Admin)
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

HK is not going to "bless" any work that they did not perform. And they are not going to "bless" a factory part that has been modified. It looks good and it looks like it has been properly crowned. Shoot it and see how it goes. It's not going to blow up in your face. If it doesn't perform in an adequate manner you will have a few choices: pay a gunsmith to try and correct the problem or just replace the barrel.
    jetnspector likes this.

Wondering what happened to your posts???
    Please take a moment to re-read the terms that
    you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Hidden Content .

Help bring sense to the NFA world, join Hidden Content .

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Hi,
    Hk or someone looking over it is not needed, just take it out shooting. The pics show a professional job. Crowning isn't difficult, some experience and the right tooling is needed. I have crowned, cut crowned numerous barrels, including my own units. HK barrels require expensive/hard to get carbide tooling because the barrels are hardened. If your so inclined you can get a new barrel from HK or other parts vendors, they are drop in and require no fitting.
    Bill
    triggerwork.net

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by straightgrain View Post
    HK is not going to "bless" any work that they did not perform. And they are not going to "bless" a factory part that has been modified. It looks good and it looks like it has been properly crowned. Shoot it and see how it goes. It's not going to blow up in your face. If it doesn't perform in an adequate manner you will have a few choices: pay a gunsmith to try and correct the problem or just replace the barrel.
    I agree here. HK will never "bless" this type of 3rd party modification. You were able to purchase at a better price because the gun was modified. Personally, Id drop in your extra factory barrel and enjoy it if the modified barrel bothers you.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Send it to me. I'll test it.

Seriously though, If you would rather sell it let me know.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Are we sure this isn't a CA Compliant Tactical model, that's without threads?

Does the muzzle extend beyond the slide, or is it flush?
    Never forget;
    Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to obedience to God.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links