VP70z trigger problems--what's going on here?

Thread: VP70z trigger problems--what's going on here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default VP70z trigger problems--what's going on here?

Here's a VP70 question that doesn't involve the trigger weight, for once. I recently bought a VP70z online, and I've had a trigger issue since I got the thing. There's some kind of problem with how securely the sear holds the striker.

-If I pull the trigger back smoothly and firmly all the way it'll fire normally
    -If I pause, hesitate, or release the trigger at any point during the pull, it'll usually instantly fire
    -It sometimes won't reset--feels like the sear isn't catching the striker

Basically, the striker will drop prematurely unless you give it a good firm pull. This appears to have been going on for a while, since I can see where the striker surface has been hitting the firing pin safety. All the internal parts are assembled correctly and otherwise undamaged as best I can tell. I cleaned the gun a couple times, and detail stripped it, and that didn't improve the situation at all. The seller says it's unmodified and he supposedly wasn't aware of this behavior.

Any thoughts? I'm more than a little uncomfortable with a gun that has a mind of its own. There are so few parts in there I've had a hard time visualizing what could be so out of whack to cause this. I don't recall VP70s being known for unreliability.
    Last edited by ABTOMAT; 11-05-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I have never even held one of those so I can't help much. But if I were in your shoes I would send it to James or Hk to get it running properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The gun's simple enough I just need to figure out where the misalignment or wear is. Best I can tell only 3-4 parts could be causing this but I don't have a working one for reference.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bump for ideas

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonFrost View Post
    I have never even held one of those so I can't help much. But if I were in your shoes I would send it to James or Hk to get it running properly.
    Ordinarily I would agree with you about sending it to James. He's a wiz with HK hardware, especially the legacy platforms. But I know he won't work on the VP70Z because I've asked if he would take a look at mine. No joy!

Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
    Ordinarily I would agree with you about sending it to James. He's a wiz with HK hardware, especially the legacy platforms. But I know he won't work on the VP70Z because I've asked if he would take a look at mine. No joy!

Mark
    Have you ever experienced the issues I'm having? Looking over the parts it's almost as if the sear isn't grabbing enough of the striker, but the lift spring is doing its job and there's no room for further movement in the design.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

No I have not but mine is a low-mileage original. I'll take a look at it one night this week and see if I can see anything obvious.

Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Still can't figure this one out. The prior wear on the firing pin safety makes it look like neither the safety nor the sear are engaging much of the striker surface. But there's no room for movement or adjustment, and it doesn't look like anything's been filed down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bump time

Sponsored Links