Question about usp45 tactical slide/barrel in california
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By romeo_alpha01

Thread: Question about usp45 tactical slide/barrel in california

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Default Question about usp45 tactical slide/barrel in california

Hey guys, seeking some advice from those more knowledgeable than I am on the crazy CA gun laws. A buyer purchased a complete usp45 tactical slide, barrel, and recoil assembly from me through gunbroker. The barrel is factory threaded 16x1 LH from HK and is unaltered. To my knowledge, threaded barrels are not allowed in California. Seller is telling me this is legal for me to ship to him and for him to own as long as he doesnt install it on a frame. Can anyone confirm? advice is much appreciated as I'm not trying to skirt any laws here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yz125racer View Post
    Seller is telling me this is legal for me to ship to him and for him to own as long as he doesnt install it on a frame.
    I have kin in CA.
    Seller's statement in itself is true, a TB (which is not firearm) is legal until you install it in a frame/receiver. You may have a TB itself, but you cannot legally use it (in a firearm).
    But then again, why mess with the Feds. Why would he buy it, and it's traceable to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm in CALI. The TB is fine on it's own. It just can't be installed.
    Most people buy a standard barrel to keep in the gun and keep the TB in the safe.

The best/safest way to send something to shitty California is to have him buy/send you a standard barrel to install in the gun to ship it. In Cali it's required to do a function test for pistols at the FFL iirc... and you can't do that if you send him a pistol w/o a barrel. Then you can send/mail him the TB directly if you wish.

The *BIGGER* concern I have is that I don't believe the USP45 Tactical is on the CA DOJ Roster of Approved Firearms (https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/cert...andguns/search)... so regardless of TB or not, you can't ship it into California
    Last edited by haw1144; 11-01-2019 at 04:32 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by haw1144 View Post
    I'm in CALI. The TB is fine on it's own. It just can't be installed.
    Most people buy a standard barrel to keep in the gun and keep the TB in the safe.

The best/safest way to send something to shitty California is to have him buy/send you a standard barrel to install in the gun to ship it. In Cali it's required to do a function test for pistols at the FFL iirc... and you can't do that if you send him a pistol w/o a barrel. Then you can send/mail him the TB directly if you wish.

The *BIGGER* concern I have is that I don't believe the USP45 Tactical is on the CA DOJ Roster of Approved Firearms (https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/cert...andguns/search)... so regardless of TB or not, you can't ship it into California

To clarify, it is not a complete firearm. It is a complete usp45 tactical slide/barrel and rsa. no frame included so its not considered a firearm and would not be shipped to an FFL.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ah. that makes things easier.

to be the most safe, i'd remove the TB from the slide and ship them to the buyer. That is totally fine.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Correct. Threaded barrel is fine on its own. It’s when the purchaser installs it on his frame he’s on his own. What’s CA going to do if he ever gets caught and your name is thrown into it? Expedite you from TX to CA and charge you for shipping it to him?

Besides, a lot of CA owners should be stocking up on things like this before accessories get banned in 2024 as “precursor parts”. By that point you have to do a background check on EVERY GUN COMPONENT YOU BUY, and some items are recorded at the FFL and sent to DOJ.
    GuntherRommel likes this.

Sponsored Links