Some advice on ammo - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Some advice on ammo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PC7 View Post
    Your friend the engineer does not know what he is talking about.
    And the members on this thread telling you it's fine to use aluminum ammo are wrong.

Here are just two threads where aluminum cased ammo damaged HK's.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...9-chamber.html

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...y-chamber.html

On a side note:
    Shall I have my dealer send you his FFL?
    Agreed. Over the years I've seen too many "shrapnel" aluminum spent casings. I'm unwilling to unnecessarily risk my guns, eyes, limbs, etc., for the sake of saving about $.02/round. For range ammo I stick with brass-cased exclusively. And definitely not steel cased or Third World product either. Safety and reliability are my paramount considerations.
    Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA CCW Instructor, Firearms Expert Witness - Fraternal Order of Police, Member: NRA, ISRA, SAF, ACLDN

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herb View Post
    I like to know what a pistol can eat just for my information.
    Some folks don’t go beyond the OM written text, and that’s fine.
    The OM is published to civilians (for the least common denominator), to those who acquire them for SD but never train with it much less clean them.
    Fire a.357 revolver with alum and you’ll find the alum extracts harder vs. brass, 9mm/35K-psi against alum should pose no problem expanding/sealing the casing (including steel) in the chamber. The 9mm stepped chamber is another proof of HK over-engineering.

HK recommends against alum/steel... because alum corrodes to a rough surface, steel is coated and may be Berdan primed. HK has no control on how you maintain ammo, so HK C-Their-A stating it ‘could adversely affect safe and reliable functioning’.
    You’ll also find some say HK’s are designed for 9mm/124. HK’s ‘are designed to fire quality, factory-loaded ammunition, loaded to NATO or SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute) specifications for use specifically in handguns’, that’s 115/124/147gr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I only use brass cartridges from major manufacturers on the guns I care about. I care about all my guns. But then, I also cough up the bucks for real gun oil to lube them.
    PorterM likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And the members on this thread telling you it's fine to use aluminum ammo are wrong.

On a side note:
    It never to ceases to amaze me on a forum how one person can google up two threads and become an instant expert on the subject. I would imagine the manufacturer would tell you not to use reloads in his pistols because you may harm your pistol https://www.concealedcarry.com/safet...our-gun-right/ Now you dont use those horrible reloads do you?
    Let me end this with a two comments. I have a friend who knows a retired Seal team leader. This Seal has told him they see a lot of HK USP FS pistols in third world countries. Those pistols have been there for years with little to no maintenance and they work just fine. He put a crate of hot machine gun ammo through one; and it did not harm the pistol. He was most impressed with the pistol. I am also - they are built like tanks.
    My second comment is that during WW II we turned out plenty of steel case ammo for the 1911. So I would have to say my 1911s are tougher than all the HKs. As far as you saying everyone is wrong - well guess what - i have already run a lot of aluminum case ammo through my HK P 2000 without any problems or harm to the pistol. You need a new dealer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On a side note:
    It never to ceases to amaze me on a forum how one person can google up two threads and become an instant expert on the subject. I would imagine the manufacturer would tell you not to use reloads in his pistols because you may harm your pistol https://www.concealedcarry.com/safet...our-gun-right/ Now you dont use those horrible reloads do you?
    Let me end this with a two comments. I have a friend who knows a retired Seal team leader. This Seal has told him they see a lot of HK USP FS pistols in third world countries. Those pistols have been there for years with little to no maintenance and they work just fine. He put a crate of hot machine gun ammo through one; and it did not harm the pistol. He was most impressed with the pistol. I am also - they are built like tanks.
    My second comment is that during WW II we turned out plenty of steel case ammo for the 1911. So I would have to say my 1911s are tougher than all the HKs. As far as you saying everyone is wrong - well guess what - i have already run a lot of aluminum case ammo through my HK P 2000 without any problems or harm to the pistol. You need a new dealer.
    I love 1911 pistols, so I must ask... you say HKs are built like tanks, and your 1911s are tougher than all HKs. So what are your 1911s built comparable to? Also I would say that just because you shoot hotter than recommended ammunition through a gun and it doesn’t break, doesn’t mean you didn’t harm it. You could over stress the pistol’s components drastically shortening their service life.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

..So I would have to say my 1911s are tougher than all the HKs...
    Please enlighten us. What 1911s do you have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Aluminum is softer than the steel used in any handgun barrel, but a very thin layer of clear aluminum oxide forms nearly instantly on any bare aluminum surface. That layer of aluminum oxide is much harder than steel. Aluminum oxide is commonly used as an abrasive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, just as a matter of interest, aluminum is utilized as the casing material for both the 120mm rounds in the M1A1 Abrams tank, as well as the 30mm rounds used in the A-10 "Wharthog" gatling gun.
    I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links