BK built USP quality - changes - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: BK built USP quality - changes

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mine, a little overexposed to show detail

BK built USP quality - changes-9c05a053-d2ce-4294-903c-eb3714c8e06d_1572803236152.jpeg
    THE ABOVE POST IS MEANT MERELY AS THE OPINION OF THE POSTER AND IN NO WAY IS IT TO BE CONSTRUED TO BE OFFICIAL POLICY, PROCEDURE OR REGULATION OF THE POSTER'S EMPLOYER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Man, why does HK have to mess with something that isn’t broke.
    GuntherRommel, seery and AGG like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you much hkguy007, you are doing good for the community! Such details are extremely hard to come by.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkguy007 View Post
    ...The whole reason I felt compelled to discuss this was not to bitch, but that we all know other co's have cut corners over the years in construction methods and build quality for sake of margins (Glock, Beretta, SW revolvers, etc.)….After 12 years, and more USPs that I wish to count, I just now, for the first time, noticed something different that might suggest a modicum of corner cutting. And does it matter? Not today, I'm keeping the FDE one, but I fear of what may come to keep margins nice and fat down the line. What else we gon' talk about anyway on this forum! The guns are so damn great we gotta gripe about nuancical details.
    HKguy007, hats off to you for bringing this to our attention. You're comments and inputs are well received, sir!

I think it does and will matter. HK addicts never believed that HK would pinch quality for profit, but this might just be happening in subtle fashion. If HK thinks that intentional slips in the build process and quality for the sake of profit can go unnoticed, then you busted them here with your attention to detail. I am now a little leery about BK dated units and the ones that'll follow. Only time will tell if HK quality further degrades, and if it does I think we'll know when it started.
    seery likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

My P30/P30S//P30SKS/P2000/USP9c are B-G/H/I. None have the spent casing, no longer required by the Feds. I noticed this too, B-G/H P30’s have the machine finish and B-H/I P2000/USP9c have the flat finish. Regardless of (both excellent) finish differences, slide/frame fit/tolerance are excellent.
    2 ¢... Who else has this machine finish, LoL leave it to HK Over-Engineering to implement a machine finish to reduce glare. So, they deleted/suspended the machine finish process.
    Yes while it may be cost-reduction, it doesn’t mean the flat finish is lower quality.

The slide/frame fit, that’s a quality item (at least on the FDE frame).
    Open question/variable, have you fired it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am more concerned about the fact there was no grease. I am a gun noob and expect the gun to be properly oiled in right places and ready to use. How would i know what to oil and to what amount?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I own a BK production USP myself, I will upload some pictures when I have the chance. One thing I have noticed is I that the finish on my USP scratches much easier then that of my VP9sk. Then again, my USP has roll markings while my VP9sk does not for the logo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BK built USP quality - changes-20191104_132737.jpg

Not sure how the quality will come out considering this is off my cell phone. I can get more pictures when I'm home from work but this is the best one I have in terms of detail on the slide. In comparison to OP's USP I don't seem to have the horizontal markings/finish that you mention. This photo is from when I first picked it up at the store back in August.

Edit (some more pictures that I have on my phone)
    Also, last month I sent my pistol out to HK for a match trigger install, orginally I found the stock trigger to be pretty shitty however I cannot say if I found it gritty but instead I found it very mushy. Match trigger is worlds better. The last photo I uploaded is the only one that has the VP9 and USP in the same picture and it isn't in great detail.
    BK built USP quality - changes-screenshot_20191104-133316_gallery.jpg
    BK built USP quality - changes-screenshot_20191104-133342_gallery.jpg
    Last edited by mahunik; 11-04-2019 at 06:38 PM.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not a USP but for what it's worth I picked up a BK P2000 today... The fit and finish is, at least at first glance, just as good as my other HK pistols. The finish on the slide is definitely different (more matte black) than my other models but it doesn't seem inferior in any way upon initial inspection; I do not see any unusual markings or machining marks in the new finish. The most noticeable thing at first glance is that the serial number and date codes are reversed on this pistol compared to my older HK pistols and other P200 pistols that I have seen; the proof marks and date code being after the serial number instead of before. The fit and finish on the rest of the pistol is what I would expect. As far as packaging, it had the usual manual, HK sticker, and lock in addition to the normal stuff that comes with a P2000. It had the usual amount of the brownish factory lube on the pistol with the normal black grease inside the action components in the frame... I will be sure to keep an eye on how the finish wears but first impressions of the pistol itself are good IMO. For comparison in the first picture are my AG USP, AI HK45 and my BI VP9sk. The other two pictures are simply for reference; the pistol has not been cleaned and is how it came from the factory. As far as the internals, I am not sure if they are coated differently but have included a picture for you to judge; I will be replacing some springs later this week and will examine them more closely at that time. The action is comparable to my LEM HK45 as far as trigger and cycling the slide by hand. I have not shot it yet. (That is the only other LEM HK I currently own)

Overall, I can definitely see some minor changes in finish (and maybe in the coating of the internals) but until I get some rounds through it there is no way for me to tell if it will affect how the finish wears.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BK built USP quality - changes-857839906-2.png   BK built USP quality - changes-img_20191104_173008.jpg   BK built USP quality - changes-img_20191104_173123.jpg  
    Last edited by PorterM; 11-05-2019 at 02:52 AM.
    andru likes this.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I think the take-away from this thread is that we all should be more attentive to form, fit, and function details of HKs that are BK-dated and beyond. With HK so focused on still meeting LE and military contracts, I hope HK has not relaxed or rushed QC when it comes to their secondary customers (us) just to meet sales orders from us. It just takes a couple of bad apples to sour years if not decades of trust. What I find surprising about this thread is that there have been no issues thus far from HK-USA firearms. And I hope it stays that way.
    PorterM likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links